Orchestral Libraries Again

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jloeb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Orchestral Libraries Again

Post by jloeb »

More expensive per key but, if your're truly after naturalistic expression on the keyboard with one hand only, it likely gets no better than this:

https://www.roli.com/
mikehalloran wrote:
ironchef_marc wrote:The key thing with all the current library is to make sure you take advantage of all the expression capabilities of the instruments by using various CC linked to dynamics, vibrato etc.
Being one-armed, my ability to use most MIDI controllers in real time is extremely limited. The orchestra VIs I have sound more like the Mighty Whurlitzer than anything I can bring to the table. The time does not exist for me to tweak every note and every performance after I play in the notes. Perhaps if I was retired but that's not happening for a few years...

Anyway, it got me thinking. Does anyone remember the Yamaha combo organs of the 1970s? They introduced a keyboard that could do finger vibrato. It didn't work all that well — you needed a heavy finger to make it work and it was limited but it was functional. Something like that today combined with a volume pedal could make my performances more realistic — not the way that a bowed string or wind controller could but better than its been for me.

Searching the 'net for a MIDI keyboard with finger vibrato brought me to TouchKeys. Looks like I missed the last production run but this may just be what I need. It appears that you can buy it integrated with a controller or you can add it to your own. It can also do glissandi and be programmed for other effects (variable attaca, I would hope).
http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~andrewm/tou ... ction.html

I'd love to find one and try it on the Sailors' Dance from "The Red Poppy". If I could make the bass soli sound the way I know how to play it, then I could make such a tool do anything I want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJgZ-GiPlvM
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:
ironchef_marc wrote:The key thing with all the current library is to make sure you take advantage of all the expression capabilities of the instruments by using various CC linked to dynamics, vibrato etc.
Being one-armed, my ability to use most MIDI controllers in real time is extremely limited.
Mike, if you haven't already, you simply MUST try using Breath Control.

I use Wallander horns regularly (wonderful!) and BC is fantastic out of the box, as the BC interface mimics that of the actual instruments. I am about to begin working on mapping BC to Kontakt instruments and implementing a lag controller in Kontakt to smooth BC and allow it to expressively contour VI strings.

BC can be your second hand, more natural and intuitive than ever.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

jloeb wrote:More expensive per key but, if your're truly after naturalistic expression on the keyboard with one hand only, it likely gets no better than this:
https://www.roli.com
Well isn't that interesting? I hope they show at NAMM so that I can get my hand on one and check it out. Thanks for the heads-up!

I like the idea of the 37 note but $1,900 Yikes!

The 25 note at $850 including the cover is certainly something I can budget for in the near future. I can't use the left hand controllers, of course. One of the things I like about the 37 is that it doesn't have them.

Also, I have this mental issue with instruments that are limited to 2 octaves — I really want to see at least 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. I perform with the iPad bass and it drives me nuts that it doesn't even have 2 full octaves — too many of my normal licks could use an additional whole step or two.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Many thanks for the rundown on LASS vs. the new NI offering. Food for thought, for sure. I had assumed Complete 11 (or whatever number it is up to next year) would include the new library, but it is good to see what LASS has to offer that is unique (and vice-versa). Really seems like both are needed. :-) Divisi are hard to find (true dives, at least).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

dix

Post by dix »

dix wrote:
williemyers wrote:
dix wrote:...Still waiting for user reviews. Anyone?
http://vi-control.net/community/threads ... st-3911489

((start around pg. 7 for responses from guys who've actually purchased & used this library))
Cool! Thanks for this. A lot of good info here. http://vi-control.net/community/threads ... 517/page-7
Anyone here ever get SSSE? It's one of the instruments in KOMPLETE 11 Ultimate that has me considering upgrading. One question: Can auto-divisi be used to create a smaller sounding chamber ensemble, or do the smaller sections only kick in when you play multiple notes? Thx.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Oops. I just found out Komplete Ultimate is neither and only includes the Essential libraries, not the one with auto-divisi. Still curious about whether it can be used to create small ensembles and whether it's a worthwhile library overall.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Most vi-control responses from the past few weeks have suggested that even the full versions are too limited compared to price-competitive options, but this discussion was mostly in the context of the woodwinds.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
dix

Post by dix »

Yes, there's some truly terrible reviews of SSSE in the VI-Control thread (some good ones too), but it sound pretty good to me and the auto-divisi seems like a real time saver. That same thread confirms that the auto-divisi can be used to create small ensembles.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I too thought the actual audio demos sounded good -- for the full editions at least. I couldn't tell what value or quality was in the cut-down editions, and that's the main reason I used my end-of-year voucher for the India collection, as I now know I won't bother with the K11 Ultimate Update and will at least wait for K12. Mostly due to feeling the cut-down editions of the orchestral stuff aren't worth the upgrade cost for K11 (and there isn't much else besides that, except EDM stuff).

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

In regards to PLAY, I've actually never had a problem with the software ... but I've never really used anything more complex than Ministry of Rock 1, and that's been around since 2006. The only reason I have Ministry of Rock around these days is for a couple of unique patches that I like the sound of (the Black drums and the Telecaster, specifically). While I have zero problem with PLAY, and quite a few problems with Ministry of Rock 1 (that I paid about $500 for a reprogrammed version of Nick Phoenix Guitars & Bass for AKAI that I paid $35 for originally, plus, they never did successfully debug the samples), I have a truckload of problems with EWQL the company ... especially when I tried to get them to resolve issues I was having with MOR's patches. I may end up snagging EWQL Symphony Choirs one of these days (which ... sigh, is a repackaged and reprogrammed version of "Voices of the Apocalypse" for AKAI), but I've had about ten years' worth of buyer's remorse. These days, I mainly use the Symphobia/True Strike series for Kontakt, which is good for working up a huge-sounding orchestra, Embertone Fischer Viola and Orchestral Tools' Soloist Nocturne Violin and Cello for solo or small ensemble strings, Soundiron Olympus Elements for choirs (with the occasional assist from Voices of the Apocalypse) and IK's Miroslav Philharmonik 1 (still working up the nerve to upgrade to 2) for stuff that isn't covered by my other libraries. Personally, I'd at least recommend the ProjectSAM stuff, which you can get in a bundle that would suit your price point, then augment it with some decent solo instruments ... unless you're a stickler for putting together your own ensembles from scratch.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

Getting back to the original post . I really have not had that many problems with Play and have many of their libraries including EWQLSO and the Hollywood series . They are up to Play 5 now so maybe some users were having more problems with earlier versions of Play. I personally like Hollywood strings and have Lass and Symphobia as well. Granted for some of the heavier legato strings you do need a SSD HD and have a computer with plenty of ram for smooth results .

Considering I paid about $700 on sale for just Hollywood Strings Diamond just a few years back, with their current sale which I believe is ending soon I think its kind of no brainer to get Hollywood Orchestra Diamond , all four sections Hollywood Strings, Brass , Woodwinds and Percussion with 4 mic positions shipped on its own HD for $499. :)
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.