Routing Logic X into Digital Performer using Soundflower

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Routing Logic X into Digital Performer using Soundflower

Post by rosindabow »

Hi all. I did this once before but I cannot remember the exact steps. I want to route Logic X into DP via Soundflower. I would like to be able to access individual MIDI tracks within Logic as well as Logic's loops and sample library. I have the DP side but I cannot remember exactly how to set up Logic. I'm able to get Garageband to work but not Logic. Anyone able to provide a step by step guide? Thanks!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
bayswater

Re: Routing Logic X into Digital Performer using Soundflower

Post by bayswater »

If you have Soundflower installed, and it appears in AudioMIDISetup, then it will appear in the audio preferences in Logic with all the other usual audio interfaces.

Note in Logic you can only access one audio device at a time. You can get around this by setting up an aggregate device consisting of Soundflower and any other devices you want.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Hi - thanks for the response. I guess I need a Logic person to respond. Anybody from the Logic side who can detail exactly how is needs to be set up so it can play multiple external MIDI tracks? Also, can you route MTC into Logic to have ti sync up to DP?
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There is no Logic side here. Maybe you should try a Logic Users Group.
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I will do that as well. Just thought that someone here might have done it. I have been using DP for approximately 27 years - started way back with Performer version 2 - love the program! Hope it will keep on keepin' on ... Logic has some cool instruments and samples that DP does not offer and I think it would be fun to be able to access it. I set this up once before and meant to write out the steps as it is a bit convoluted to make it happen. Thanks!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have done it. I'm not clear on what it is about Soundflower you can't get working in Logic. It's a matter of selecting its as the Audio device in Logic preferences, and then selecting it as an output for the channels playing your sounds in Logic. This is exactly the same as you would do with any other audio driver/device
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

rosindabow wrote:Hi - thanks for the response. I guess I need a Logic person to respond. Anybody from the Logic side who can detail exactly how is needs to be set up so it can play multiple external MIDI tracks? Also, can you route MTC into Logic to have ti sync up to DP?
I used do this all the time and sometimes still do. It's easy. You don't need Soundflower.

In DP open Interapplication MIDI (under Setup menu)

In the Input and Output sections add one of each. I title them "DP Output" and 'DP Input", for example. (for multiple tracks create multiple DP outputs and inputs).

In Logic (I have 9), go to Project Settings, Transmit MIDI Clock and use the pull down menu to choose "DP Input".

In DP create a MIDI track and choose "DP Output" as your output.

Set up MTC in DP and Logic (read instructions).

Quit both DP and Logic. Open DP first then Logic.

Create a MIDI track in Logic with the software MIDI instrument you want (Logic also makes a great 32 bit VI host, that's partly what I use it for). Record enable.

Go back to DP and either hit Play enable or Record enable your MIDI track. Record Logic's transport and track.

When you hit Play (or Record) in DP, Logic will record the MIDI data. If you hit Record in DP, DP will also record the MIDI data.

In Logic, Bounce or export MIDI as audio and import into DP. The audio will be timecoded and drop right into place. If you Record enabled DP you will see they did sync.

--

This may seem like a long list but once you've done it a few times, it becomes really quick and easy. Much of a cleaner job than using Soundflower IMO which can be unreliable.

There's even more you can do. I've routed audio back to DP from Logic, etc..

Hope that's what you wanted.

Enjoy!

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, NightWatch. That wasn't too bad.

Would you mind doing a part 2 where you explain getting audio back from Logic. (And not to highjack the thread). If there is a non-soundflower way to do it without the crazy delay-- I'd like to open MainStage3 and feed MIDI notes from a track to MS3 and bring back audio from Sculpture (one of the VIs). --(Maybe it is already in the Tips&Tricks?)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Speaking of which, is anyone able to get Soundflower working in Yosemite yet?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Speaking of which, is anyone able to get Soundflower working in Yosemite yet?
Yes, it was working fine when I did the 10.10.0 update. I didn't check it again after the 10.10.1 update. I noticed there are a lot of Soundflower sources and they don't seem to agree on the most recent versions. The one I have working has 2 channel and 64 channel drivers, not the 16 channel driver.

I'm not at my audio setup for a while, so I can't look at version numbers.