How to do these things for drum programming?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Krakadon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to do these things for drum programming?

Post by Krakadon »

Hi MOTUNationers,

I'm programming drums with Superior Drummer. Like every other drum instruments the notes are layer out all over the place, very not user friendly. I wonder if/how to do the following things:

* Change the pitch ruler in the MIDI editor from note name to note number

* Put custom names into the pitch ruler in the MIDI editor

* Reorder notes in the MIDI editor

* Show note number instead of note name in the drum editor

* Rename note name to sample name ("kick" instead of "C1")

* Reorder all notes in the drum editor (i.e. single click to arrange by note name)

* Create a mapped kit in the drum editor (like say I always use SD metal machine or Avatar library for example)

* Can I save a drum editor mapping to import into another project and/or switch between different mappings?

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find it. Thanks.
Krakadon
Rock, metal, Nashville, TN

* 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel i7 (Quad), 16GB RAM, 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA, AMD Radeon 1GB, OS X 10.11.6
* Apollo Quad FW (FW9.0), UAD-2 Quad FW, UAD-2 Quad TB, M Audio Oxygen 49
* DP 9.12, PT 12, Amadeus Pro, DMG, FabFilter, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Toontrack, TB, UA, Valhalla, Waves
* Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II FW Q4, EBMM JP BFR7, EBMM StingRay 5, Ovation Legend 1866, Martin D1-R
* UA 4-710d, RNC-1773, Shure SM-57, SM-58, SM7B, Rode NT1-A
charlesparente

Re: How to do these things for drum programming?

Post by charlesparente »

For most of your needs as described, the Drum Editor window should be perfect.
The manual chapter was very helpful for my getting started with the drum editor.

You can certainly rename elements of the kit, select all notes of a certain pitch (select all snares on D1, for example)

Also you can save the layout as a preset.
The brush tools are awesome to quickly make from tracks---paint in a snare backbeat, etc.--very powerful stuff.
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
Shooshie

Re: How to do these things for drum programming?

Post by Shooshie »

Note numbers:
I use a frequency chart hanging on the wall by my desk to help me with many things, including MIDI note numbers. Not finding one to my liking, I made my own. There's a post about it in the Tips Sheet thread. Here are links to the post, and to the actual charts, one with Middle C3 and the other with Middle C 4.

Frequency Chart for MIDI Composers:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|