AudioDesk and Yosemite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
calden
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

AudioDesk and Yosemite?

Post by calden »

Greetings:
I've been using a 2009 Mac Mini OS 10.4 with my 828 MkII and AudioDesk v 3.0. Stable, reliable, recorded several CDs with this and generally like it. I'm looking to replace the Mini with a newer model, because I have more work coming up and just don't know long it will be around, but mainly also because I don't have dual-monitor capability with this Mini, and I'd really like to have the edit window and mixing board on different monitors. Also, more speed and processor power, etc.

So my question is: How reliable will my AudioDesk be with a newer OS (Yosemite)? I assume I'll have to download some updates. Can I assume that I will be able to continue to use the 828 and AudioDesk without major speedbumps? Anyone have issues with this? Any advice in general? The last time I tinkered with anything was updating AudioDesk to 3.0....

I have a recording project window coming up for a weekend in December and don't want surprises...

Thanks in advance,
Carlos
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: AudioDesk and Yosemite?

Post by James Steele »

I guess it would hinge on when AudioDesk was last updated? My guess is it was a while ago, right? Yosemite seems a bit different than past OS updates, and I'd be very hesitant to do an update to Yosemite if I was relying on AudioDesk working. Maybe someone using AudioDesk could comment. I know DP seems to work pretty well and you might consider upgrading to that.

Are you going to be looking at getting a new system with Yosemite pre-installed? If not, maybe use Mountain Lion or earlier until MOTU says it's definitely compatible.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It was last updated in 2011. MOTU is advertising it as bundled with their latest interfaces.

Yosemite has been out over a month and, if there was a problem with Audiodesk 3, I'd think there would be some mention in Support -- and there isn't. If in doubt, call or email MOTU.

Do make sure you are running the latest version and have a disk for authorization. Since AudioDesk 3 was a free update for AD 2 owners, I would think that your original disk should work--if not, MOTU Support is whom you talk to about that. Hmmmm... I have no idea where my 828mkII disk is but since I run DP, it's not an issue.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... =Audiodesk

Most of the software on my system is as old or older and runs just fine in Yosemite.

Otoh, if you were looking for a reason to upgrade to DP-8 and 64bit, now would be a good time. AudioDesk qualifies you for upgrade pricing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The latest update runs on my laptop under 10.10.1. I can't really put it through the paces, because I don't have a MOTU interface connected at the moment, so I get a MAS errors. But it will create and save a project, scan plugins etc.

It will ask for the install disk and entry of the key code, so if you don't have a DVD drive, that could be a problem.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
calden

Post by calden »

James, Mike, and Bayswater:

Thanks for your responses. Really helpful. As I am exploring this more and more, I am thinking of replacing my home desktop iMac with a new one, then repurposing THAT imac (Snow Leopard, plenty of speed, newer than that Mini I've got.) I'd be spending $500 on the Mini, another $100 at least on a monitor, and at least $50 on a DVD drive that I'd need to install the 828 MkII and AudioDesk software. That's a large way towards updating my house computer that I'm thinking of doing anyway.

And even though the MOTU information (and your suggestions) make it seem like I'd be able to run the 828 and AudioDesk 3.0 on Yosemite, I wouldn't have to think about that headache with this current OS.

Great response, thanks a lot.

Carlos