Copying Automations to another Audio Edit Layer

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Copying Automations to another Audio Edit Layer

Post by Chris »

Hi everyone!
I have a big problem with copying automations.
Here's my issue:
I'm in the Sequence Window and I have 2 different Instrument Tracks.
The first instrument Track has an Volume Automatoin and the second one has an Pan automation.
Now I want to copy the Envelope of instrument Track 1 (volume) to instrument track 2 (pan)..
But if I copy and paste or merge it, the following happens:
Instrument Track 2 gets the volume automation of Instrument track one. But I just want to have the same envelope on the pan automation.... can anyone help? I'm going nuts and I've tried to figure that out for 4 hours now.

Thanks!!
Cheers,
Christian
Dan Worley

Re: Copying Automations to another Audio Edit Layer

Post by Dan Worley »

Use View Filter to show only what you want to copy.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

COMMAND-F
  • gets you:

Set it unto show what you want to copy, and to hide what you don't want to copy. Controllers and automation are in the box at the bottom of the screen, and you can set it to show the ones you want.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I don't think that's what he's (or is it she's?) asking, if I'm reading this correctly. He wants the Volume data to be copied to Pan automation. I think. :?

Is this correct, Chris?

As far as I know this cannot be done.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, the view filter is for hiding what you don't want to copy. First you copy the automation to the other track, from the Tracks Overview Window, but after hiding the notes and controllers that you do NOT want to go with it. Once you hide what you don't want, the remaining automation data is easily visible in the Tracks Overview Window. That makes it easy to grab it, option-drag it, and merge it with another track.

So, you OPTION-DRAG the automation data that shows in the Tracks Overview Window, to the track in which you want to merge it. Then you select the data and go to:

Region / Reassign Continuous Data, or SHIFT-R

From there you can change most continuous data types to most other continuous data types, including MIDI to Audio volume and pan. Even plugin automation.

I'm sorry I wasn't more thorough the first time. I thought the problem was grabbing and merging ONLY the data type he wanted. That's what the view filter helps with. It's possible to do it without the view filter, but much more difficult.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Steps:

• COMMAND-F (open View Filter)
  • click "Clear"
    IF MIDI:
    • click "Automation and Controllers"
      click "Only"
      click "Add"
      • Add controllers and/or automation types you want to be visible
    IF AUDIO:
    • Select the data type by clicking in the radio buttons
• SHIFT-T (go to Tracks Overview)
  • OPTION-DRAG the data you want to copy
    DROP the data into the track in which you want to merge it
• CLICK and/or DRAG (Select the data to be converted)

• SHIFT-R (Reassign Continuous Data)
  • SET the dialog for the appropriate data types in the FROM and TO sections
    APPLY
Before finishing, restore the View Filter to its previous state:
COMMAND-F
  • click "Set All"
    • click off the data types you don't want showing, such as Off Velocities, Patch Changes, or whatever you don't want messing up your MIDI
You're done!

Shooshie
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for clearing that up, Shoosh. I did not realize that command worked on audio tracks (I've never used it)....Still learnin'

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.