I need some suggestions Re: GoPro audio In DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BonDarker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I need some suggestions Re: GoPro audio In DP8

Post by BonDarker »

I have 3 "video captures" of the same stage performance
from 3 different GoPro cameras, placed in three different locations.
I would like to combine and mix the audio in DP8 of the 3 cameras,
thus finding a balance from within the 3 different takes.
(to complicate matters I have a corresponding audio track from a
Zoom recorder placed in the center of the stage of the entire performance also.)

First: anybody know how to extract the audio from a GoPro Hero 3?
Is there a way to "lift" the track from within the digital realm
or must I convert to Audio before re-recording into DP?

Please keep in mind this is NOT an attempt to create a high end video.
I realize there is no linking time code for the cameras...
I simply want to select a few songs from the performance (the good ones:-)
and edit the video clips together —
but the audio should NOT reflect the change of position as the viewing angle changes... although that might be interesting too.

I've never worked with video from within DP so I have no idea if that would be the direction to take.

Ultimately I would go back to the GoPro Studio editing software and stitch the video together, then overlay the combined audio — ideally.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Aramis

Re: I need some suggestions Re: GoPro audio In DP8

Post by Aramis »

Hi !
Digitalperformer allow you to import the audio from movies when the movie is installed in it.
As the movie is loaded in DP, push on the keyboard option key ( i believe ) and click on the movie at the same time ... A menu will appear and then you will be ok to import the audio file.
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Aramis wrote:push on the keyboard option key ( i believe ) and click on the movie at the same time ...
I think it's the control key, but I'm not at my DP computer right now.

BTW, I have found the old school slate/clapper-board very useful in these situations. You don't need the hardware. You can just use your hands or it's easy enough to make one.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Phil O wrote:
Aramis wrote:push on the keyboard option key ( i believe ) and click on the movie at the same time ...
I think it's the control key, but I'm not at my DP computer right now.

BTW, I have found the old school slate/clapper-board very useful in these situations. You don't need the hardware. You can just use your hands or it's easy enough to make one.

Phil
You are correct !
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

To all contributors, THANK YOU!

I'll dive in with these tips in mind.
However, I'm not sure what the "old school slate/clapper-board" is.
Can I find it a Walmart? :roll:
...got time for a hint?

I appreciate your suggestions.

Ah! New adventures to places I've never been.
bralston

Post by bralston »

BonDarker wrote:To all contributors, THANK YOU!

I'll dive in with these tips in mind.
However, I'm not sure what the "old school slate/clapper-board" is.
Can I find it a Walmart? :roll:
...got time for a hint?

I appreciate your suggestions.

Ah! New adventures to places I've never been.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

Oh! I see.
Sure, I recognize this devise (duh!)
Although, wouldn't it be a pre-production tool?
All my video has already been shot — without a clapper board.
OR
Do you mean - to find within each camera's audio/visual, ques to sync the different clips to.
If so, I've already headed down that path as it seemed to be the only logical way I could imagine to go forward at this point.
Knowing I don't know much, I figured there might be some other way to go...

Again, many thanks for any and all suggestions.
BD
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I mentioned it for future work. But yes, if you can find some definitive event with a percussive sound, that will do the job as well.

Phil
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

If you have FCPX, it will be able to sync any individual movies/clips imported into the project by automatically synching their audio waveforms. You can export just the audio files after that to the desktop then import into DP if you need to. This is part of the included multi-cam editing in FCPX.

Not sure if this helps, but though I'd mention it if it does.

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
bralston

Post by bralston »

Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

Hey folks.

A few more suggestions came in before i was swept up the the T-Day craziness and get together with every living relative routine ;-)
I did want to express my thanks, once again, for the tips and suggestions.

After spending all my time in Audio, my mind wants to "see" the same kind of linear graphics for video but it appears the software I have thus far bought into does not see it that way.
The challenge so far has as much to do with my adaptation to the tools at hand as anything.
I find, what I would like to see & do in the editing and selection of clips and what the programs offer are far apart.
And so it goes... but I'm figuring it out.
This is mostly for fun and there is no "professional" requirements—so far.

So, cheers, have a wonderful holiday and thanks for the help.
BD