Free Slate Plugin

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Free Slate Plugin

Post by billf »

Slate Digital has a free plugin called Revival that is free, at least for now. I just installed it, but haven't had a chance yet to give it a go.

When you download it, you'll get the entire Virtual Mix Rack set of plugins (which are not free) as part of the installer, but you can customize what actually gets installed during the install process to only install Revival if you want. And it requires an iLok 2.

http://www.slatedigital.com/products/revival

Here is their description of it:
Revival borrows aspects of tubes, tape, transformers, and world class analog filters to create two processes. Shimmer adds depth, clarity, space, width, and air like you’ve never heard. Thickness adds warmth, punch, body, and fatness.

Revival can be used on individual tracks, such as to create air on a pop vocal or add fatness to drums, but is also amazing in mastering to bring out details in full mixes. And best of all, you can download the Virtual Mix Rack which includes Revival and the Mix Bundle (two analog modeled eqs and compressors), and Revival’s license will never expire. That’s right, Revival is FREE!
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Re: Free Slate Plugin

Post by bayswater »

Tried it. Very subtle. On an acoustic guitar track it sounds a bit like changing mic distance.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

A free Trimmer with VMR on version 1.0.9.11 _ :P

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

From their description of it:
"... depth, clarity, space, width, ...air. -- warmth, punch, body, and fatness.
Impressive use of ambiguous words! Me and my audio buddies often use these words when making fun of placebo effects. I'm not saying this is one of those. Just saying, it's a funny way to talk about audio without saying much.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I didn't go for Revival earlier as I was too confused by the GS thread. I thought maybe it comes with our updates, if we are existing customers.

Trimmer is part of the latest update, from what I recall. Do we need to do something special to get Revival?

I've bookmarked the signup sheet for Revival for when I get home tonight, just in case it isn't already installed and/or is time-sensitive. I'll check again for Trimmer too, but thought I remembered seeing it on my system.

I use VMR and FG-X more and more, as well as VTM.

Once I invest the time to really learn a Slate plug-in, it pretty much becomes my go-to at that point. I still have a few I'm not using yet, simply because I haven't learned them. They are deep plug-ins, and ones you can continue to grow with. Deceptively simple on the surface, but an encyclopedia of knowledge underneath.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
billf

Post by billf »

stubbsonic wrote:
billf wrote:
"... depth, clarity, space, width, ...air. -- warmth, punch, body, and fatness.
Impressive use of ambiguous words! Me and my audio buddies often use these words when making fun of placebo effects. I'm not saying this is one of those. Just saying, it's a funny way to talk about audio without saying much.
I agree, though just to be clear, that isn't me saying those words. It's from Slate marketing. :D
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:I didn't go for Revival earlier as I was too confused by the GS thread. I thought maybe it comes with our updates, if we are existing customers.

Trimmer is part of the latest update, from what I recall. Do we need to do something special to get Revival?
I think we have to download the entire VMR Bundle now (which is fairly sizable btw), and the free items are probably all inside of that along with whatever plugins we've purchased. I'm downloading now, so I will update this thread unless someone does first.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hmm, I might have already done that.

I've had some issues with recent Slate updates, even after deleting demo licenses from my iLok (I discussed this separately, but never figured out why they were there and why the plug-ins weren't working with my purchased licenses in some cases).

This seems to have been a bootstrapping issue. DP was crashing on shutdown and on switching chunks, the past few days, and I think it was due to having added some Slate plugin instances during the interim period.

So, even though I got the demo licenses off my iLok so it would look first for my purchased licenses, it seems I need to delete all VTM and VMR instances and re-add them to the insert chain in order to flush out any sense that I don't own these products. And this, in spite of my habit of disabling all plug-ins after each use so that no project opens with enabled plug-ins.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
billf

Post by billf »

billf wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:I didn't go for Revival earlier as I was too confused by the GS thread. I thought maybe it comes with our updates, if we are existing customers.

I think we have to download the entire VMR Bundle now (which is fairly sizable btw), and the free items are probably all inside of that along with whatever plugins we've purchased. I'm downloading now, so I will update this thread unless someone does first.
So in your Slate User Account, there should be a download for VMR regardless of whether you just own one item such as VCC or the entire VMR. Download it, then install it. Revival and Trimmer are inside of VMR.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Turns out I had Revival but not Trimmer; I never received an email about this latest update and wasn't expecting one so close on the heels of the one from February. I am downloading now, and notice they also finally have a new user manual now that includes all the latest plug-ins and instructions, so hopefully things will go smoothly.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Piece of cake; this installation undid all the problems of the rather confusion transition period.

Love the new Trimmer; high resolution gain reduction (or addition) control and a very usable range of -24 dB to +24 dB.

This will be great for plug-in chains inside VMR where you might otherwise hit some overs before you get a chance to apply MOTU's Trim in the Insert slots.

corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

mhschmieder wrote: I never received an email about this latest update and wasn't expecting one so close on the heels of the one from February.
Me too but it was a promise _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _