hardware compressor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

hardware compressor

Post by bleach30 »

Im sure this has been covered here somewhere but..

I have an 896mkIII and Im wanting to route audio out for processing and back in to a track or bus.

I have a hardware compressor Im wanting to use on, for example, a drum buss and for the life of me I can't get this to work without latency. I read that cue mix is probably the way to go but I don't really have a clue as to how cue mix works. Ive never needed it to do anything it didn't already do out of the box so I don't ever really look at it. There. I said it. Im not ashamed...

So if cue mix is the only way this will work can somebody please explain it to me or point me in the direction of some tutorials. Thank you
Phil O

Re: hardware compressor

Post by Phil O »

There's discussion of it here:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... er#p347524
...And I think there are other threads (on this board) on this topic as well. I'd search on Latency Fixer and/or outboard gear.

I haven't played around with Latency Fixer in a while, but I'm pretty sure it's still available. Or, you can nudge manually.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hardware latency can't be helped. Darned laws of physics... It can be minimized (the new MOTU Thunderbolt boxes, for example, claim lower than ever) but processors, as fast as they are, cannot make it go away. It is even present in a pure analog signal path but you generally need a 'scope to see it and blend the pre/post dry signals to hear the comb filtering.

For that reason, you compensate in the software. If it's static as most are, bouncing the effect to a new track and sliding that entire track will do the trick. As you have read, there are utilities that help. This has been on many users wish list for DP for a long time, now.

If you insist on tracking with hardware effects, that's easy. Use a small analog mixer to send the signal to your effect before it gets to your 896.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions!
I did find some threads related to this and there were a couple of things on MOTUs stie as well.
I finally got it working with no latency. whew!
Thanks again!
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

bleach30 wrote:Thank you guys for your help and suggestions!
I did find some threads related to this and there were a couple of things on MOTUs stie as well.
I finally got it working with no latency. whew!
Thanks again!
Hello bleach30,

Glad you got it working, would you mind telling us what you did to fix it? Could be useful to others...;-)

Thank you,.

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB