OSX Yosemite No Sound in Headphones (Cuemix/Microbook ii)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
slowbanjo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

OSX Yosemite No Sound in Headphones (Cuemix/Microbook ii)

Post by slowbanjo »

Please help! I just downloaded Yosemite and the new Motu driver for the Microbook ii. I have my main running perfectly, but no matter what I do in CueMix, I can't get sound out of my headphones. Oddly enough, if I try white or pink noise, I do get sound. But I can't get the track.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OSX Yosemite No Sound in Headphones (Cuemix/Microbook ii

Post by Shooshie »

Is there a Main Out port? Try plugging headphones into that instead. (I do that on my 896mk3)

CueMix is a little arcane in its routing and methodology. I think it could be better designed for integration into the computer audio side of things. Yes, it will work, but the routing is wonky. I mean, it's "accurate," in the sense of how a mixing board works, and I think that probably is a good thing when you've got a big rig, doing fancy stuff. For small studios like mine since I retired from my commercial work, it's probably overkill.

For the record, all I've been able to determine with the new boxes is that the Phones port only monitors live inputs. Computer audio routed through the box won't go through the phones.

If you're monitoring live inputs and it still won't work, you probably are monitoring an empty channel. Go set up a mix for the channel you are using. Of course, I can't see your setup or your problem, so anything I say will be a guess. I have to go through a setup from input to output, making certain everything is correct, even on my own setup. After doing that more times than I can remember, I still find it a little confusing when it comes to how the computer audio enters the box, and how it's channelized to the outputs. It's just kind of "there." Firewire isn't an input port, and therefore can't really be routed.

I recommend spending some time with the manual, really studying it. No, I'm not saying :rtfmmad: , but emphasizing how confusing CueMix can be. You really need to follow their logic when setting it up. Unless it's broken, you'll find that it WILL WORK. You just have to figure out HOW it works.

Also, you
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

A little embarrassed: I just noticed a "Headphone" menu in the Cuemix menubar. It easily switches the headphone monitoring to various sources. That should fix the problem. Still, my previous post is relevant. It's just that there is an easy fix for your question. I used an 896 for 13 years, and only bought the 896mk3 a few months ago, so I'm still getting used to it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
slowbanjo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by slowbanjo »

Figured it out!! Thanks.