Best input device for DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best input device for DP?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote: Over time, a few people have praised the logitech solar keyboard. What's the advantage? What does it do that other keyboards don't?
Pros: Key response and layout (distance between keys), numeric keypad, wireless but no effen batteries to eff with or screw with the environment, durability, reliability. 15 function keys. Media control (via function 7-112) Media dedicated media eject key, on-off switch (great for cleaning with the system on).

Cons: Minor annoyance with function keys being mapped a little oddly. Fine with the Logitech driver (which effen sucks) and addressable via Quickeys.

More importantly, it looks cool and is a chick magnet. Most importantly, it keeps the Revolution MX mouse company.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Got it. Chicks hate batteries.

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

I so want to unseen that. I'd rather set all those poor animals free. They'd still produce eggs, but happier eggs. :(
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Would never have occurred to me except I just heard a documentary on why the average chicken is now 9 lbs, compared to 2 lbs in 1950.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

Not sure

http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
No way that's a chick magnet, it has a Window's key.

Looks good until you get dead skin all over it. Or is that just me? :oops:
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Dead skin needs to be properly prepared. Ask any chicken.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Dead skin needs to be properly prepared. Ask any chicken.

Mmmm... beer batter.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BTW, I ordered a Logitech solar keyboard after reading this thread. Except that I chose the Mac version, which is aluminum in color, and has Mac keys. (No Windoze key) I also ordered a Logitech mouse, just for grins. Not sure I'll keep it, but I might exchange it for the gaming mouse and try that. I'm just exploring the options since the Magic Trackpad has been rendered "DP-Challenged" in recent OS X versions.

The reviews of all this stuff can be all over the place. People say that the keyboard's battery dies within a year or two. Others say there are problems with the function keys. Still others say that the battery is perfect, it's still running after several years, and that the function keys have been fixed in new versions.

Then there are those who say that Amazon is shipping the wrong keyboard, with international keys instead of good ol' North American keys. But the Mac version only has one keyboard style, AFAIK. Looking forward to getting rid of the wire once again. I built my desk with the requirement of a wireless keyboard. When Apple shortened the wireless keyboard, I had to go back to the wire. That little wireless keyboard is absolutely no good for me in DP, though it's handy for iPads. This solar job looks like it might be the right fit. If so, I may order a few of them to be sure I have a supply as they burn out. Tech is like fruit. You can only get it when it's in season. And once that season is passed, it's gone. Except that tech seasons aren't sidereal or solar so much as celestial or buzz-bubble-based. Anyway, it would seem like a good idea to get at least a couple of extras if it turns out to be a good keyboard. What I really want is the full Apple keyboard, solar powered, with its 19 function keys. The Logitech only has 15. But I rarely get what I want. This should do.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:BTW, I ordered a Logitech solar keyboard after reading this thread. Except that I chose the Mac version, which is aluminum in color, and has Mac keys. (No Windoze key)
This is what I have Shoosh, you're gonna love it!! The ONLY thing about this is, you have no way of knowing if the caps lock key is down, so you may find yourself shouting.. other than that, it's the perfect keyboard, Love it so much! I like to carry it to the backyard to recharge, while I play with the dogs and recharge myself..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

There's an app for that. Key remap or something. Let me know if you want a link. It just locks out the keylock. I'm a sloppy typist so i need it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

For what?

You look up, you see that you're typing in all caps, you contemplate whether or not you might want to change it or keep it, you decide, end of story.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

I don't always look up so locking out the caps locks works for me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I rarely look at the caps long anyway. If it's locked during a password, there's usually a symbol to tell you so. The rest of the time, just watching what I type should do the trick. I never look at the keyboard.

Shoosh
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I use and very much like this Logitech M570 wireless trackball mouse:
You can read more here.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku