help with audio files (dis)organization

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
flextone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

help with audio files (dis)organization

Post by flextone »

Hi,

I've googled the forum and couldn't really find an answer.

I'm in the process of going through my external HD and revisiting old projects, and I've encountered a major problem in my workflow. I'm either extremely disorganized, or just don't work properly with DP. What I do is the following: I usually start off with a blank project which I set up to my liking and into which I record audio. Now, when I decide to save this project under it's own name in a dedicated folder, all the files I recorded are of course inside that "clean" project's folder and I obviously want them in the new folder for organizational reasons.

was I totally wrong in deciding on this workflow? do you guys/gals create a folder each time you start work in something? is there a way to transfer those files into the new folder and re-assign their location inside DP retroactively?

What's the best practice here? My HD is a mess... I have to start being more neat.
bayswater

Re: help with audio files (dis)organization

Post by bayswater »

Have a look at page 18 of the manual. It covers the use of Save As and Save a Copy As. In both cases there is an option to copy all the audio into the project folder that is created in that operation.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
flextone

Post by flextone »

fantastic, so simple... that little check box has escaped me for years. thanks!

but does the newly created project know to use the "new" files or does it keep grabbing them from the old location? ok I'll just check and see. thanks a lot.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I believe it looks in the project folder for a soundbites (audio) folder. Another good reason to call it a Project folder.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

flextone wrote:fantastic, so simple... that little check box has escaped me for years. thanks!

but does the newly created project know to use the "new" files or does it keep grabbing them from the old location? ok I'll just check and see. thanks a lot.
It uses the new location. A new Project folder with a new Audio folder are created when you use Duplicate Audio on the Save As.
DP10.13
flextone

Post by flextone »

Great. this was on my short list of stuff I was too lazy to figure out and somehow hoped they'll solve themselves. then I found out I'm missing audio files in projects...

thanks a bunch!