How do you convert tempo changes into one static tempo

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
joelmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do you convert tempo changes into one static tempo

Post by joelmusic »

I need to have a MIDI file with lots of tempo changes be converted so the note data _sounds the same_ after converting to a static tempo. I remember a feature in DP where you could convert a file with tempo changes to a static tempo and it would push the notes around in the file to compensate. I need this for a Disklavier sync-to-video project that can't have tempo changes (but I need them to compose!) - any help would be much appreciated.
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: How do you convert tempo changes into one static tempo

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't have the answer, but if it were my problem, I'd look to creating SMFs as one possible method. I can't imagine how to make that work without actually fiddling with it. Maybe a dumb idea... Maybe not so much.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

IIRC locking the track freezes the MIDI note to their current SMPTE position. So if you import, lock, change tempo, and export, maybe that will do it
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Interesting problem. I would try Scale Time. It would be laborious, but the only way I can think of.

Tempo A divided by tempo B would give you a percentage that you would enter in Scale Time and apply to the time range from tempo B to tempo C. Then delete the tempo B tempo change event. Tempo A divided by tempo C would be the next percentage to input into Scale Time, and apply it to time range from tempo C to tempo D. Etc. Or something like that. This is half-baked, but I think the concept would work. Like I said, laborious.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Maybe you could pipe the MIDI out to another MIDI recording app (like Garageband).

Just DP set up the ports, and assign the tracks to those ports, and assign them as sources on the destination app, but you know, sans any sync/clocks.

Actually, here I'd probably just record the MIDI on my K2500R
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you have two sequencers, you can always play it from one, into the other.

Disklaviers have sequencers and can record you. Why not just record it into the Disklavier?

Depending on the age of your Disklavier, I might be able to help you do that. I have only used the original DKs, with the little wagon connected by the big fat 1" cable. If that is the kind that you have, I might be able to find my notes on how to set it up to record MIDI from a connection, instead of just from the keyboard. Newer DKs may work the same way, or may not. If we're lucky, they never removed that capability.

I'll look for the instructions.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, on the original Disklavier, to RECORD to the piano from MIDI:
  • 1) Start up the wagon while holding down VOL, TEMP & TRANS.
    2) When you get to the Recording Mode, use the + - keys to move from NORMAL past L/R RECORDING to MDR (MIDI Data Record). The last one is not available unless you start with the above mentioned keys held down.
    3) Continue as you would with either of the other two, pressing the RECORD button to begin.
    4) Start your sequence in DP. What you record into the piano will be a continuous sequence with no particular tempo attached.
    5) [optional] You can record that BACK into the computer, if you want, and have it as a default-tempo sequence in DP.
If you're using a new version of the Disklavier, I can only hope that they included MIDI Data Record in the manual or in the menus. If not, you might try starting up with various buttons held down. But I'd really recommend calling Yamaha. The Disklavier group was located in Orange County when I knew them. Bill Brandom was the head of it. He's moved up the ladder now, but he'd remember me as "Mr. Disklavier," or Mark Roberts, or possibly as Shooshie, from Arizona. We used to talk for hours about technical aspects of the Disklaviers, because I was using 6 of them; 5 at a time in a show, with one spare. Never had to use the spare.

Getting 5 Disklaviers to play together, each with its own parts, is no mean feat. But with Bill's help, and all the team at Yamaha — Terry Lewis and Carter Schull, in particular — we managed. That was 20 years ago, though.

Good luck with your project. If you need any Disklavier/DP help, I'm happy to assist.

Shooshie
PS: You can always record it into another sequencer on your Mac if you can handle the inter-app MIDI connections, or a MTP-AV loop.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi,

Its totally simple- pretty much what Bayswater said above.

-Lock your MIDI track/s
-Change the tempo to whatever you want (switch from conductor track mode to slider)
-Save as SMF

That's it.

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

boom! :headbang:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I thought SMFs were involved. Thanks, Penn. nice to see ya!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Whew! That diskclavier was too expensive for me.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8