FYI: Master fader in V-Rack with multiple chunks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

FYI: Master fader in V-Rack with multiple chunks

Post by crduval »

Hi all;

Just thought I would post this little tidbit- its in the manual, but only if you look for it :D

I am working on a project and writing several cues for it, all as separate chunks. I decided to put my master fader in a V-rack along with my other VIs so that all the cues would share the same bus processing chain.

It turns out that when you do this, it matters where the V-rack is in the list of chunks. It has to be at the top of the list, otherwise, any chunk above the V-rack in the list will not be routed through the master fader (although the VIs work as expected).

FYI!
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
FMiguelez

Re: FYI: Master fader in V-Rack with multiple chunks

Post by FMiguelez »

crduval wrote: It turns out that when you do this, it matters where the V-rack is in the list of chunks. It has to be at the top of the list, otherwise, any chunk above the V-rack in the list will not be routed through the master fader (although the VIs work as expected).
That's strange... Mine is at the very bottom of all my V-Racks and many chunks, and it works fine :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Isn't there some rule about what happens when you have multiple Master faders? The one to the left (or right) takes priority over the others? Do you have more than one Master Fader in this setup? Could that be what's happening?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

That could explain it.

The only Master Fader I have is the one at the bottom of my Chunks window. But if there are other MFs inside any other chunks, that's where the conflict might be.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
crduval

Post by crduval »

I am positive I don't have any other master faders in my chunks... Maybe it has to do with when the chunk is created relative to when I added the master fader to the V-rack? Here are the particulars:

I had been working on a chunk created prior to adding the master fader to the V-rack. It was at the top of my list of chunks, and the V-rack was in the middle of the list. I wanted to listen to the chunk in mono, so I went to fold it down on the master fader, but the button was grayed out, and there was no audio running through it. I looked at the manual and saw the note about multiple master fader precedence, and thought that it might apply to chunk order when only using one master fader. I re-ordered the V-Rack to the top of the list, and voila, everything worked as expected.

Maybe I can exploer this later today and try to figure out what is going on - but I'm just happy that everything is working :D
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

bayswater wrote:Isn't there some rule about what happens when you have multiple Master faders? The one to the left (or right) takes priority over the others? Do you have more than one Master Fader in this setup? Could that be what's happening?
Yes only one master fader at a time. Between V-rack Master faders, priority is top over bottom and left over right.
Your attention, please, here's today special case: If you have a master fader INSIDE a sequence AND another one in a V-rack, this will apply too. Sequences *over* the V-rack will apply their own master fader, while sequences *under* the V-rack will apply the V-rack master fader.
Great! Thanx Motu!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...