False Clipping Indicators

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

False Clipping Indicators

Post by Dan Worley »

This problem just came up again, so I thought I'd mention it because it was a real head-scratcher the first time it happened to me.

I hardly ever shut my Mac down, and after I have DP open for a long period of time (days or weeks), it starts showing false clipping indicators. Quitting DP and relaunching it doesn't fix the problem, only a restart will fix it.

I guess the memory gets confused, or something.

I'm going to set a reminder to restart more often.
DP10.13
Klaus

Re: False Clipping Indicators

Post by Klaus »

The only time my 896mk showed earlier peaks than DP was when I had Cuemix channels add noise level to the output , i.e. a radio receiver that was producing noise
Are you sure Cuemix is muted everywhere ?
( sorry to sound smart ) :D

Best to all

Klaus
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Thanks. In my case, I don't use cuemix. I don't have any MOTU interfaces. These are just false clipping indicators that show up out of nowhere. For instance, I can play the song fifty times with no peaks and then on the next pass peaks will start showing up in a couple of tracks and the master. Plug-in meters will show the correct level. Only a restart will put it back to normal.
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sounds like a memory leak somewhere. If you have to reboot only every few weeks, consider yourself lucky.

Likely culprits are not limited to DP and related plugins. If I didn't shut down Chrome every four days, it would freeze--I have no idea what plugin is caused the problem but it went away in Yosemite (I let it run 6 days just to see what would happen).

Safari is still buggy and it or related plugins are highly suspect, too.

Now that I start from an SSD, I reboot most mornings as the whole process takes less than 15 seconds including reopening all of my windows. Before, restarting Chrome was something I did before breakfast and I rebooted as little as possible.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro