Ozone 6

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ozone 6

Post by Dan Worley »

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... ing/ozone/

I'm running the 10-day demo (standard version, not pro). They have done a terrific job with the GUI. I very much like the changes. Ozone 5 was confusing to me. Ozone 6 is a walk in the park.

Sounds great on the one song I've tested it on. Because of the GUI changes, I found it much easier to dial it in. Oh, and I really like the auto gain adjustment on bypass feature.

I haven't tried the standalone version yet. That will be interesting to check out.

Have you guys tried it? What do you think?
Last edited by Dan Worley on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Re: Ozone 6

Post by csiaudio »

Before you buy or update be sure to look at what was removed from 6 that was in 5.

Many are talking in great length about this at Gearslutz
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

csiaudio wrote:Before you buy or update be sure to look at what was removed from 6 that was in 5.

Thanks. I noticed that the Reverb module was removed, but I never used that anyway. If something else has been removed, I haven't noticed it yet. Anyway, it's a separate plug-on from 4 or 5, so if you need whatever is missing you can always go back, until that version no longer works in your OS/host.
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

We have another thread going on this as well:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... it=ozone+5
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I posted about this in the 'Ozone 5' thread, I haven't had the time to reinvestigate since then.

Briefly, the eye opener for me was the HUGE processing jump over Ozone 5, which was already pretty CPU intensive. Even on the 'I' setting. I put it on the Mix bus on a project with only a moderate amount of plugs and VIs and my DP processing monitor hit redline and stayed there.

I haven't read the GS thread, but I immediately noticed the lack of individual module presets that Ozone 5 had and that I enjoyed experimenting with. There also seems to be far fewer presets in the main categories.

The manual says that when push came to shove that decisions were made in favor of processing power vs. being CPU friendly, also talked about dropping your latency to retrieve some headroom. That coupled with the standalone module, which is nice, makes me think that this is something you would want to use with finished mixes, rather than trying to mix with that hog on the bus.

It is curious. Since you can still use Ozone 5 for everything you used Ozone 5 for, it seems that Ozone 6 is a slightly different animal with a slightly different purpose, in spite of the similarities and lineage.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dan Worley wrote:
csiaudio wrote:Before you buy or update be sure to look at what was removed from 6 that was in 5.

Thanks. I noticed that the Reverb module was removed, but I never used that anyway. If something else has been removed, I haven't noticed it yet. Anyway, it's a separate plug-on from 4 or 5, so if you need whatever is missing you can always go back, until that version no longer works in your OS/host.
From the help files:

...the reverb module has been removed, and gating is no longer supported in the dynamics

I like a couple of the reverbs in Ozone 5 Advanced a lot (the Hall in particular) so it's good that it still works. I could replace them if I had to but glad that's not an issue.

Gating isn't an issue. I couldn't see running it on master tracks anyway. For noise problems, there are other tools including RX 4 and Alloy as needed.

Overall, I am liking it. At the moment, I am not seeing it as a replacement for O5A. For now, it's another tool in the roll-away.

I am interested in trying it on a problem stereo track with some really nasty finger squeaks in one section that have eluded my other tools. I am hoping that the Dynamic Equalizer can help. If so, it's worth the upgrade price to me. If not, I really didn't need it ... yet.

I am also interested in seeing if I can use it to build a pop filter that can be automated. I get my share of garbage from other studios.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Overall, I am liking it.
In the GS comments and the comments on the video showing all the stuff dropped in V6 (there were a lot of things), a few people acknowledged the missing features, but claimed V6 sounds better.

Do you agree?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Overall, I am liking it.
In the GS comments and the comments on the video showing all the stuff dropped in V6 (there were a lot of things), a few people acknowledged the missing features, but claimed V6 sounds better.

Do you agree?
I don't disagree. I've not gotten into it that deeply yet. The compressor and limiter are smooth.

The presets are well thought out. I like that you can scroll through them by clicking on arrows. There are a lot of complaints that there aren't as many presets as with 5 but I don't mind. Of course, you can tweak any of them and I usually do.

The Advanced version also has the standard version included. That's new in 6. You can bring it up or the individual advanced modules. Now that you can re-order the modules easily in the standard version (possible in 5 but hidden in a menu so that most users didn't know) this could be a real time saver, letting you engage the advanced modules only when necessary.

I don't understand why they dropped reverb. The Ozone 5 reverbs can be made to sound very natural. It's my go-to for any live performance. Subtle application can put a living room performance into a small concert hall (after cleaning up in RX first).

Could it be that Izotope will release a separate reverb tool? I probably won't buy now that I have the Eventide and a few others.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mikehalloran wrote:I am interested in trying it on a problem stereo track with some really nasty finger squeaks in one section that have eluded my other tools. I am hoping that the Dynamic Equalizer can help. If so, it's worth the upgrade price to me. If not, I really didn't need it ... yet.

I am also interested in seeing if I can use it to build a pop filter that can be automated. I get my share of garbage from other studios.
Mike, have you tried the MOTU Dynamic Equalizer that now comes stock with DP? I've had good results with it.
DP10.13
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

try izotope rx on those finger squeeks, you can smudge or draw them right out
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ozone 6.1 was released yesterday (no charge to registered users). Besides the usual minor fixes, they have restored the Module Presets due to overwhelming user requests.

User requests. Amusing title for all the "what the ...?" postings and messages.

Perhaps they'll put Reverb back in 6.2 if enough of us clamor for it. At least Ozone 5 Advanced works fine for that. It's still my favorite for a natural sounding small room or hall.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Yes! Lovely to see the Module Presets back.

Willing to join the chorus for bringing back the reverb as well. Bring back the reverb!

Must admit I've been using Ozone 5 instead of 6 for the above reasons and the fact that 6 is such a resource hog that you can't slap it on the bus if you have a lot of plugs unbounced without severely taxing the system. Of course, much of the blame is on some of those channel and bus plugs that are also resource heavy.

Looking forward to giving it a second look now, however, and experimenting more with the standalone version.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's an overview of the changes:
http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/rev ... e-ozone-61

It's on sale through April 9, 2015
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... =Ozone+6.1

I notice that, if you click through the banner, Sweetwater offers the same plus discounted upgrade pricing for owners of older versions.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

What I don't like is that they removed all the dither types except MBIT. I don't like the sound of it, never have. And now with Ozone 6, I can see graphically why.. they pour on the pain at around 16-18k, and the noise shaping control only goes from drastic, to over-the-top. To my ear, MBIT adds a sharpness and a "ringing" in the music in the high-mids, that doesn't go away.

What it conceptually is IMO, is a weak knock-off of Apogee's legendary UV22.

However, the IRC technology has come a long way, and Ozone has never sounded better, in general.. glad I updated.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Killahurts wrote:What I don't like is that they removed all the dither types except MBIT. I don't like the sound of it, never have. And now with Ozone 6, I can see graphically why.. they pour on the pain at around 16-18k, and the noise shaping control only goes from drastic, to over-the-top. To my ear, MBIT adds a sharpness and a "ringing" in the music in the high-mids, that doesn't go away.
Another reason to keep Ozone 5 Advanced, no doubt. I've not used the new dither module yet. I do like that the Izotope has a free downloadable handbook just on using dither. There are a lot of good things in the Add Ons and Extras download page.
However, the IRC technology has come a long way, and Ozone has never sounded better, in general....
No argument there.