Hooray for Multi Mixes!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hooray for Multi Mixes!

Post by Prime Mover »

I've never really had an opportunity or reason to play with the multiple mix function. If ever before I wanted to make a big change I usually made a duplicate chunk. But today I had a sound design project where the client wanted a bunch of different Rainstorm sounds (inside, outside, on porch, in a car, with and without thunder), and even though they all used some of the same rain audio tracks, there was a lot of different EQing. At first I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to not make this insanely complicated. Then along came multiple mixes to the rescue and saved the day! I just had a different mix for each version, complete with muted tracks and custom EQ... super easy!

I certainly wouldn't be comfortable using it for every project, but for things like this, it's a dream! I do wish it were a little more customizable, with the ability for it to ignore some types of automation, that would make it extremely powerful, but for now it's pretty amazing!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Phil O

Re: Hooray for Multi Mixes!

Post by Phil O »

I will usually work on a "rough" mix before the client comes in for a mixing session. When the client finally does come in I'll duplicate the mix and work on the duplicate. This allows me to compare the changes the client wants to what I have done. More often than not, after much "the guitar needs too come up", "the vocal is too loud", "the bass needs more bottom", etc. I'll go back to my original mix and the client will say, "Yeah, yours is better." - this has saved me a lot of work so many times! Hooray indeed. My advice: always duplicate the mix before making any changes.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:I will usually work on a "rough" mix before the client comes in for a mixing session. When the client finally does come in I'll duplicate the mix and work on the duplicate. This allows me to compare the changes the client wants to what I have done. More often than not, after much "the guitar needs too come up", "the vocal is too loud", "the bass needs more bottom", etc. I'll go back to my original mix and the client will say, "Yeah, yours is better." - this has saved me a lot of work so many times! Hooray indeed. My advice: always duplicate the mix before making any changes.

Phil

Oh man. I've done that a thousand times! But I sometimes would let them think that the original mix was the culmination of the changes they had asked for. Then they're more like "See? I told you I was right. NOW it's exactly like I want it!" Of course, I didn't do that if they were making musical sense, but if they were just "hunting and pecking" in hopes of happening upon a better sound, wasting hours of mixing time, then I'd pull out the original mix.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote:
Oh man. I've done that a thousand times! But I sometimes would let them think that the original mix was the culmination of the changes they had asked for. Then they're more like "See? I told you I was right. NOW it's exactly like I want it!" Of course, I didn't do that if they were making musical sense, but if they were just "hunting and pecking" in hopes of happening upon a better sound, wasting hours of mixing time, then I'd pull out the original mix.

Shoosh
No fair giving away trade secrets! If we were magicians, you'd be a marked man! LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS