Opinions on which used MacBook Pro i7 to buy?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Opinions on which used MacBook Pro i7 to buy?

Post by artfarm1 »

Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions/suggestions/ideas on what would be the appropriate used MacBook Pro (2010-13) with the 'most bang for the buck' for portable use outside the regular studio.

Used, because I just want to clone my studios' MacPro system (DP8.05 using OSX 10.8.5) and because I believe in using proven 'trailing-edge technology'. I'm not looking to change OSX's anytime soon, as everything is very solid as it is.

I haven't owned any Macs that are newer than my 2009 MacPro 2.26 8-Core and 2009 MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo... so, I'm not sure of the capabilities of post-2009 Mac's, but I know they're great! (My 2.26 8-core could keep me happy forever, as far as I'm concerned!)

I've always 'played it safe' by distributing my sound libraries, audio files, and target projects and recording folders off of my main system drive.

Anything new that should make me change my ways?

- I'll want to hook up an external drive or two with my sample libraries (external drive options/ideas?...can a single Thunderbolt drive handle multiple libraries well or can it replace a multi-drive setup?... would 2 USB drives work well for libraries using multi-instances of Kontakt, MachFive, and PLAY?... I have great old OWC Firewire drives to use as well .... or should I put some SSD's in external cages?...other SSD attachment options?)

- I'm not concerned about the retina screen option

- I believe an i7 is much more powerful than the i5? (I feel spoiled using my 2009 MacPro Quad with 26gig RAM and internal SSD's)... how much RAM would an i7 need to be happy?

- any Intel Core 2 Duo worth considering?

- I'd like at least a 15" screen

- solid models?... lemons to avoid?

Thanks all!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
bayswater

Re: Opinions on which used MacBook Pro i7 to buy?

Post by bayswater »

i7 does plugins and VIs a lot better than i5

Core 2 Duo: don't even think about it.

15" MBP. Look up the current class action lawsuit against Apple over graphics hardware in some 15" and 17" MBP models.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you want the machine that does the job the best, it's time to reevaluate all of those beliefs. I don't see the point in investing in the past unless you want to stay there.

The best portables for the job come preloaded with Mavericks or Yosemite and have SSDs. RAM is dependent on the number and type of VIs you use and, on newer models, it's soldered in.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Mike's right. But if a little less expensive would go a long way for you, I find my 2010 i7 15" MBP 8GB RAM with a 1TB SSD (with which I replaced the factory HD - not difficult at all) to still feel very snappy and "current." With a 1TB internal SSD you don't need to worry about externals; there is plenty of bandwidth for everything, plus your system is much more compact and convenient.

Problem is, unless you can score one privately, i.e. from a friend or acquaintance, that configuration all told still isn't worlds less expensive than some new models. So: back to Mike's answer, above. Depends on just how much difference saving the bucks today makes.