Controlling a MTP AV from MIDI Commands in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ggm1960
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Controlling a MTP AV from MIDI Commands in DP

Post by ggm1960 »

Hi friends,

So I've been using DP for a number of years now and I've recently joined a group again where I'll be using it to control my live keyboard rig similar to what I've done in the past. Typically I've created a project file with chunks containing external keyboard sysex/bank/patch changes for every song on the set list via a MTP AV plugged into a USB port.

This works well with my setup where I have three external keyboards (Korg TR88, Roland XP30, M-Audio Venom) and a rack mounted synth module (Roland FantomXR). The idea of course is to load all the sounds I need for any particular song with a 1 - 2 punch from a little Akai LPK25 controller. Not rocket science, I'm sure many of you have done the same but what makes it a bit different for me this time is that instead of having a dedicated controller for the racked FantomXR, I want to change configurations on the fly so I can use any combination of the other keyboards to play the XR. It was easy enough to create Base Setups in the MTP AV for the necessary routing but there seems to be no way to switch between MTP AV Setups remotely with MIDI commands I can place on a track in DP8.

If you see what I'm getting at it seems like the coolest thing would be able to have the MTP AV be like another MIDI device I could send commands to. I haven't been able to make this happen and I wonder if anyone knows if it's possible?

Greg
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Controlling a MTP AV from MIDI Commands in DP

Post by 4stripes »

ggm1960
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Controlling a MTP AV from MIDI Commands in DP

Post by ggm1960 »

4stripes wrote:Page 135 and around there: http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/MIDI/M ... de_Mac.pdf
What you pointed out is some very cool stuff that I've done quite extensively in the past; creating patches using modifiers, MIDI cannons, etc. on the older MTP II units. What made it cool is that you could use the MTP unit standalone and be able to send all kinds of MIDI setup data to other keyboards and MIDI devices. It requires a Mac running OS9 with an RS422 serial port (or adapter) and the OS9 version of ClockWorks to put all that together.

To this day I still have an old Lombard G3 laptop with the Keyspan serial port adapter that I can use to do all that stuff.

The current problem, or question, is how do you get the MTP AV unit to show up as a MIDI device I can send patch change commands to? The MTP AV actually appears three times on my list when I create a MIDI track in DP8; it's on the list as "MTP AV All Cables" with the expanded list showing all 16 channels. It shows up again twice in my unconfigured ports list with 16 channels "ADAT Port" and then the same with "Net Port".
ADAT is probably wrong but I wonder if there's a way to address the unit with Net Port somehow?

Greg