New solo cello library

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New solo cello library

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Can you name one work by John Adams aside from the Declaration of Independence? Oh wait, that was Jefferson. What else did he score? He was, after all, a violinist.
Shaker Loops.

That's an amazing piece of music. Very powerful.

And yes, I have a story about it. When my first child was born, my son, my wife labored for 14 hours. The doctor was going to do something about it, and we didn't want him intervening. It was an all-natural birth; my wife didn't even have so much as an aspirin, because she wanted no drugs or chemicals in the baby. She has a level of determination that is off the charts (hey, she's still married to ME), so she endured it for 14 hours, at which point the doc said "I'm going to my office for some pitocin. We're going to get him out of there." We didn't want him doing that, but I had an idea. I had read that labor is induced by the baby itself, and that his movements would release hormones that accelerate the process. So, I put headphones around her belly and played John Adams' Shaker Loops, with Edo DeWaart and the San Francisco Symphony. I let the entire piece play so as to utilize its gradual build. Then came the tumultuous final section. Almost immediately he started kicking and moving, and in minutes she was in full labor. He was delivered within the next 10 minutes.

Shaker Loops delivered my son.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Has he forgiven you?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Can you name one work by John Adams aside from the Declaration of Independence?
Oh, "Nixon in China", "Death of Klinghoffer", "Doctor Atomic", the list goes on. :sorry:
I've seen all three. Nixon in China works best for me.
From Wiki, for those of us with insufficient Italian background:

"All members of the viol family are played upright between the legs like a modern cello, hence the Italian name viola da gamba (lit. viol of the leg). This distinguishes the viol from the modern violin family, the viola da braccio (lit. viol of the arm)."
Uh... yea... sort of... There is also the fact that viols are tuned differently, have frets and use a different bow technique making the up-bow stronger than down-bow. Of the viol family, only the double bass survives more or less as it is tuned in fourths but sans frets.

A gamba is basically a bowed lute. This was why I could pick one up and just play (much to the chagrin of my then girlfriend who worked on it for months and knew she was a better cellist than I).

Major portions of this article appear to be accurate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viol
A lot of "civilians" couldn't name one piece by Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, or Humperdinck
Does "Please Release Me" count?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The Last Waltz might count for more...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Can you name one work by John Adams ?

On The Transmigration of Souls (Maazel, New York Philharmonic) is an interesting piece of music,I'm actually listening to right now. :wink:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
leigh

Post by leigh »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Can you name one work by John Adams ?
"Short Ride in a Fast Machine"

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It was a rhetorical question, and I knew you guys would be aware of his and, not doubt, the work of many other composers the average Joe might not know. And yes, Shaker Loops! Awesome work!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... aLwfDoaCsw
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I expect to have a copy of this very soon -- just waiting on my bundle discount code. Will write more in a new topic, for reasons that will then be obvious.

It's been a long time since Best Service Emotional Cello came out, and it has yet to be discounted even 5%.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: And yes, Shaker Loops! Awesome work!!

I used Shaker Loops to induce labor in my wife, to give birth to our son over 30 years ago. The doctor was going to do it chemically, as most do, and I told him to give me 20 minutes. By the end of Shaker Loops (one headset on her, one across her bulge), the baby was kicking and labor had begun. I actually planned that, and it worked!

We recently recommended the same for a couple in trouble the same way. It worked again!

The music is THAT moving. Even the unborn are moved. I'm not being facetious or making this up. True story.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|