Hardware for separate Video Out-DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
leosujatovich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hardware for separate Video Out-DP8

Post by leosujatovich »

Hi, can anybody recommend a hardware in order to get my video signal totally separated from my computer monitors?
Something like MOTU HD Express or Black Magic Design?
Thanks!
Leo

I use DP8 with Mac Book Pro
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Hardware for separate Video Out-DP8

Post by mesayre »

Hi Leo,
This is something I'm wrestling with myself at the moment. Was just on the phone with the folks at MOTU to see what the options are - at the moment there aren't many.

According to the fellow I talked to, you'll need to get a MOTU video interface. And since you're on the new MacBook, I believe your only option is the new Thunderbolt HDX-SDI, which rings up at a rather salty $1200. Others may have experience getting something like the HD express to work with the Macbook Pro, but I think you need a PCI Express slot and I don't think you've got one, right? Not sure if there's some way to do that via adapters.

I have seen whispers elsewhere on this forum of people using other interfaces, but my research hasn't turned up solid info on any other interfaces that work with DP, and I have personally tried (and returned!) a BlackMagic Intensity Pro that I thought would work for this. Not compatible.

If anybody else has any insight, I'd sure appreciate it too. I'm happy to wrong about any of the above, as I've been banging my head against the wall for a while on this problem. While on the phone with MOTU, I did let them know that this is a point of pain for some of us who want to sync a large screen with DP, but really don't need video capture or any of the other fancy stuff offered by the new HDX. A thunderbolt equivalent to the HD express would be a welcome addition to the MOTU line, if you ask me.

Cheers,
Mike
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bralston

Post by bralston »

Why does it need to be a separate signal from your computer monitors?

You could run a third monitor and make the video full screen on that monitor...and because it is not being converted out there will be no frame delay for the video out conversion. And upgrading your video card to support 3 monitor outputs is probably a LOT cheaper than getting a video device from MOTU that could output an HD signal in HDMI that would go to its own monitor. The result is the same, yes?
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
bralston

Post by bralston »

mesayre wrote: If anybody else has any insight, I'd sure appreciate it too. I'm happy to wrong about any of the above, as I've been banging my head against the wall for a while on this problem. While on the phone with MOTU, I did let them know that this is a point of pain for some of us who want to sync a large screen with DP, but really don't need video capture or any of the other fancy stuff offered by the new HDX.

Cheers,
Mike
Not to sound like a broken record...but my 70" HD TV has a resolution less than my 24" Ultra XGA Dell monitor. By running a third monitor with a converter of DVI to HDMI for that 70" monitor...I get full screen HD video of the movie from DP and it is perfectly in sync and did not cost tons of money for some box to do the same thing.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bralston wrote:Why does it need to be a separate signal from your computer monitors?

You could run a third monitor and make the video full screen on that monitor...and because it is not being converted out there will be no frame delay for the video out conversion. And upgrading your video card to support 3 monitor outputs is probably a LOT cheaper than getting a video device from MOTU that could output an HD signal in HDMI that would go to its own monitor. The result is the same, yes?
That's why I'm thinking of picking up an older HDTV that has a VGA input on it. I have a mDP to VGA adapter and have run a third monitor on my ATI 5770.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Simsy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Simsy »

I bought a miniport to HDMI cable on ebay for £5, works great! If you are on a mac pro you can get a cheapish video card with 3 mini port outs, use two for your monitors and one for the HDTV.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Hi again:
Not to sound like a broken record...but my 70" HD TV has a resolution less than my 24" Ultra XGA Dell monitor. By running a third monitor with a converter of DVI to HDMI for that 70" monitor...I get full screen HD video of the movie from DP and it is perfectly in sync and did not cost tons of money for some box to do the same thing.
Regards,

Brian Ralston
Brian, assuming I understand you correctly (DVI or miniDisplay out of the computer, through an HDMI adaptor and into the TV via HDMI), that doesn't work for true sync. Many (I'd venture to say most) HD TV's coming out these days are doing quite a bit of processing of the image between when it goes in the HDMI jack and when it pops up on the screen. Depending on the TV this can create anywhere from a 15-60ms or more delay. If it's on the low side you can get away with it, but a discerning eye can pick out a 30ms delay. It just "looks weird".

It's possible to turn some of that image-processing crap off through the menus on the TV, and get it down to where it's bearable. But to really have frame lock there has to be some hardware compensating for that delay since DP doesn't do it in software. That's been my experience, anyway. I'm hoping DP's next big release will include an overhaul of some of that stuff.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB