How to save AUX tracks as clippings?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
doodles
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to save AUX tracks as clippings?

Post by doodles »

I've got a ton of q's for this film which are all going to have the same mix template. there are 6 stereo auxes (orch, perc, atmos, etc), which everything routes through.

Now I'm going to mix it, I'm setting up 6 stereo channels, each with those auxes assigned to each stereo individually, so capture the audio. (makes sense so far?!).

Is there away to export these settings/6 blank stereo files, etc, as a clipping, so I can then drag and drop into each dp file/q, instead of having to create the whole files each time.

I know you can export tracks with audio as a clipping, but these are essentially blank tracks, so not sure how?

Sorry for confusing explanation! :lol:
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
FMiguelez

Re: How to save AUX tracks as clippings?

Post by FMiguelez »

Simply select them all in the TO, (a one bar time range selection is enough, even if it's empty) and create the clipping normally (Edit>Copy to Clipping Window).

I haven't used clippings for a while now, but I think that the Bundles have to match in all your projects for this to work properly. I suppose you could match them as part of your "New" template, so they're always there automatically, but this means you could also forget about the clippings and simply duplicate your main template folder (with the aux tracks already set, among many other things) for each reel as a different project.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
doodles

Post by doodles »

thnx FM.

The q's are already written, so can't create new template.
If I select a chunk of nothing in TO window and drag drop, it never used to work? There had to be physical data in the tracks in order to create a clipping. Has this changed, or was I just doing it wrong?

Also, is it possible to have the busses in/out stay the same when creating that clipping and taking to other q's?
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

doodles wrote: If I select a chunk of nothing in TO window and drag drop, it never used to work? There had to be physical data in the tracks in order to create a clipping. Has this changed, or was I just doing it wrong?
Drag and drop? :?
I'm not sure what you mean.
You simply make a small time range selection of the desired tracks, even if they're empty, and go to Edit>Copy to Clipping Window.
That's it...
doodles wrote: Also, is it possible to have the busses in/out stay the same when creating that clipping and taking to other q's?
Like I wrote in my previous reply, they should work as long as you have the same bundles in the other DP projects.

If you don't, and you can't use templates, then you can export/import the bundles, so you avoid seeing them in italics (unavailable) in projects where they don't match.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
doodles

Post by doodles »

FMiguelez wrote:Drag and drop?
I'm not sure what you mean.
You simply make a small time range selection of the desired tracks, even if they're empty, and go to Edit>Copy to Clipping Window.
That's it...
I normally just grab the data (MIDI, audio, whatever) and drag it into the clippings window I have open. Or onto the desktop.

I'll try it your way! Thanks for the input...