Getting Keyboard Parts to "Pop" in Mixes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tommypenngotti
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by tommypenngotti »

Hello all….my songs lately are very progressive and verging on dub step / syncopated keyboard accompanimnet with the instruments in DP . I have Waves 9 .

Besides panning , what do you guys use to make keyboard parts stand out in mix. Most of my keys are stabbing / rythmic kind of sections mixed with lush pads (see link below) At times I have used MW EQ and just messed with eq's until I hear the part pop in the mix…..

thanks !
:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnVJtndi3E
Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, OSX.7.5, Dual Cinema Displays -ATI Radeon 5770, Motu 896/828MK II DP 8, Waves v9
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Edited: others obviously know soooooo much more.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Re: Getting Keyboard Parts to "Pop" in Mixes

Post by BKK-OZ »

When I have something that kind of lays in a mix and needs some pop, I always have a go @ putting Stillwell's Rocket in an insert slot. It is a great (and cheap) compressor plug.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

In addition to the above suggestions, you might also take a look at the other elements of the mix. Sometimes the problem is that there are other sounds masking what you want to pop. Cutting some of those other sounds (through faders, dodging, EQ cuts, etc.) is sometimes better than boosting the buried sound. Or it may need a little of both. It all depends on what's going on in your particular mix.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

This is actually a question related to every part of a mix, not just "keyboard" parts.

It isn't a matter of compression or EQ, I can tell you that. Adding a comp/limiter or equalization to a keyboard part has next to nothing to do with "making it pop".

The real answer is your arrangement. You simply can't have ANY parts stepping on each other.
Each part in your mix has to occupy its own little hole, that's the best way I can put it. Think of it as call-and-response - one part occurs, "asking a question". Then another part happens, "answering the question". This is basic arrangement 101. Listen to any recording, classical, jazz, pop, country, rock, whatever. You should be able to hear this concept…instruments should be either answering each other by not playing at the same time, or complimenting and reinforcing another instrument (for example, a piano line doubling the vocal melody).

If you're posting this question about how to get your parts to "pop", then I'm gonna make an educated guess that your arrangement is too busy, and you've just slapped part after part on because you thought it was cool. You'll have to go back to square one and strip everything away and start over with the drums and the bass line, which is the foundation of your arrangement. Then start with ONE part, lay that down. Then lay down another part that either compliments (doubles it) to reinforce it, or plays in the "holes" where the first part isn't playing. Notice I'm not saying mix…I'm saying arrangement.

The concept of arranging keyboard parts correctly struck me when listening to Cars records
so many years ago. A good example is the Cars song "Let's Go". The signature keyboard sync
sound is a legato figure played over a staccato guitar rhythm. The guitar and the keyboard are not both playing the same thing at the same time. Really simple.

Another helpful tip - don't get "married" to any particular part, no matter how cool it is.
The more parts you have going on, the smaller every part becomes. Do you really need that
cool TB-303 line, even if it really does nothing but muddy up your mix? No. Think of how many parts you don't need. Your mix will sound better with fewer parts, not more. If you have a super-cool part you just love but it doesn't fit, put it in another song.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, what Dave said. Once I'm "done" with a piece (ha-ha), I start stripping away. This is also where it starts to get really fun and creative. It makes us more aware of what each part is contributing musically as well as to the story being told (a story is being told whether there are lyrics or not BTW).

This also gives you the opportunity to distinguish each repetition of a part by layering different tracks each time. Each one gets its moment in the limelight, making it that more special when it occurs.

Although Dave says EQ and compression won't achieve your goal of making a keyboard part pop out of the mix, I do find that the choice of the sound source can at least avoid muddying things up. And with acoustic piano, even though I'm not a Yamaha fan, their pianos can often blend better with certain instruments than a nice Steinway or other vintage brand. Similarly with organ sounds; a dark and muddy B3 emulation may be hard to work with vs. a good one like the more recent XK-series updates from Hammond.

Clavinet is an interesting keyboard because it can often serve a rhythm guitar type role -- especially in funk and r&b. More often than not, I will move a rhythm guitar part to the clavinet in such material rather than doubling, or have them do entirely different things. The clavinet is interesting when used well, because it is simultaneously popping through while remaining in the background.

With synths, it's important how you play as well. Too many people treat them like organs, playing giant chord clusters in unison. I recommend limiting yourself to mono synths for awhile, to develop discipline in how to properly layer synths. Also, change the voicing or patch with some of the repetitions, or even the octave it sits in. These sort of arrangement tricks keep the listener from getting bored or desensitizing to the parts.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Nothing I do ever pops. Is it too late to go back and take lessons?

Actually, I have to admit that if I just quit listening to it and come back to it in 6 weeks, it's a popping' all over the place. Then I keep listening and trying to make it better, and everything stops popping, I'm hearing crap everywhere, and...

well...

"Pop" is a relative term. If only we could tell what pops in OTHER people's brains!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|