Duplicate files on import

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Duplicate files on import

Post by Shooshie »

Well, I've no idea why it doesn't do that on my system. Could it be a driver issue? I updated a driver recently, but now I don't remember whether it was the audio or MIDI. I've tried all the things you guys have said, and it just isn't happening here.

That's by no means the first time that my system behaves differently than others'. I've got a long-standing bug that I have yet to figure out. (not to change the subject, but merely to illustrate the bizarre nature of "individualized" systems) My Branching UNDO does not work. I'm not sure it ever did. I can open any project on my hard drive, and even though I've always had the Branching Undo turned on (at least since it became an option, way back there), there are still no branches. This has been going on for at least a decade, over many versions of DP, many drivers, and many computers.

Don't bother telling me all the things to try unless you've seen this before and you KNOW the answer; I've tried them all. I've posted about it here several times, gone through everyone's advice each time, and still... no branches. I figured it was a DP bug, but was surprised to learn that it works for everyone else. So... I'm well aware that things can be different on our different systems.

Still, it's frustrating to try to reproduce a bug, but cannot. I mean, I'm happy that I don't have to deal with it... yet... but I wish I could help figure it out. Maybe by comparing drivers or something we might figure it out, yet.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

I´m experiencing the same issue. I get 2 files on IMPORTING a single file into the Soundbite window. File format BWAV. Must be a DP bug. :smash:
I can live with it though.. until it starts itching.. ;)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Radiogal wrote:I´m experiencing the same issue. I get 2 files on IMPORTING a single file into the Soundbite window. File format BWAV. Must be a DP bug. :smash:
I can live with it though.. until it starts itching.. ;)
Two files? Or two identical regions in a single audio file with different soundbite names?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Two files, one with the suffix. "2"
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Radiogal wrote:Two files, one with the suffix. "2"
I'll put money on this actually being two soundbites (i.e. regions) that both point to the same audio file.
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DanielCoe wrote:
Radiogal wrote:Two files, one with the suffix. "2"
I'll put money on this actually being two soundbites (i.e. regions) that both point to the same audio file.
I agree. Easy to tell by setting the Soundbite window to list items by Filename, rather than Name (which shows the names of Soundbites, not files)
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

FWIW. Mine is normally showing "Time Created". The first file shows first. The second one is with the suffiX "2".
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Radiogal wrote:FWIW. Mine is normally showing "Time Created". The first file shows first. The second one is with the suffiX "2".
I usually view my SB window by Time Created and it looks just as you describe.
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Understood, but what the Soundbite window is showing you is soundbites, not audio files.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Yup and as I'm only importing one audio file, I expect to see only one soundbite, as I haven't even imported it to any track yet.
So IMO it's a big ugly bug. :smash:

Or this must be a new "feature " in DP. :shock: as I never had this issue before.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:Well, I've no idea why it doesn't do that on my system.
Shoosh, are you trying this with BWAV files? BWAV is the only format where I can duplicate this bug. Also, I use BWAV as the default in DP. I wonder it that's an issue.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Well, I've no idea why it doesn't do that on my system.
Shoosh, are you trying this with BWAV files? BWAV is the only format where I can duplicate this bug. Also, I use BWAV as the default in DP. I wonder it that's an issue.

Phil
That's a good question, Phil. I'm not 100% sure of the answer for some of those files. You see, I use Broadcast Wave as my default, too, but I didn't always. For the past... maybe 4 years, Broadcast Wave has been the default. Before that it may have alternated between AIFF and WAVE.

Here's the confusing part. In the Finder and the Soundbites Window, it does not seem to differentiate between .WAV and .BWF formats. Sure, the default is Broadcast Wave, but I see people speaking of .bwav, WAVE .wav, and .bwf when talking about Broadcast Wave. The official suffix of Broadcast Wave files is .bwf, but in the Finder I only see .wav, and in the Soundbites Window, I see only WAVE for anything I have created with the default of Broadcast Wave.

It seems rather that a Broadcast Wave file would end in .bwf instead of .wav. Have I missed something? Are the two formats now one and the same?

In any case, I've used both WAVE and BWAV files (I think) in attempting to reproduce this bug. I have not yet been able to reproduce it. My uncertainty hangs on the fact that I can't positively identify them in DP or the Finder, yet Broadcast Wave is the only WAVE type available in DP now. Short of some other way to tell, I can't say absolutely for certain what kind of files these are, and since the project I was using is old, it may have more than one type in it.

Have I thoroughly confused everyone?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Now, having said that, the original test that I did was in an old project that I use as my "test project" on most examples I post in this forum. I think its origins date back to around July, 2005. At that time, I'm not even sure DP was doing .wav files yet, but there are no SDII files in the soundbites window. Of course, at various times it has converted all my audio to the current preference, because DP has changed its defaults and filetype options. If there were any SDII files in there, they'd be gone now. The same probably applies to original .wav files (non .bwf), but I don't know that for a fact.

So, rather than worry about what kind of wav file I was using, I took another existing project — a current one — and did the same tests with it. These audio files are all from the past month, and were created under the Broadcast Wave default filetype. STILL, no duplicate files. Ever. Anywhere. No matter what method I used (Dragging to various windows, importing audio with Command-F1), I always got one file.

Ok, I'm probably not adding any useful information to this discussion at this point, being one of the people to whom this never happens for some odd reason.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Maybe it's time to check driver versions.
Driver location: /Library/Extensions
  • Firewire Audio: MOTUFireWireAudio.kext 1.6 64254
    —Modified: Friday, October 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    PCI Audio: MOTUPCIAudio 1.6 64254
    —Modified: Friday, October 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    MIDI: Motu MIDI Driver.kext 1.6 64820
    —Modified: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM
On these projects, I've used the MOTU 896mk3 and the MOTU 1296 audio interfaces.
Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Question: For those who are seeing this happen, could it be multiple regions in a soundbite, each recorded at a different tempo, which caused this? Do you have multiple tempos in the conductor track? Is DP recording multiple regions within a take due to each of those tempos?

Just a question. Probably leads nowhere.

Shooshie
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Question: For those who are seeing this happen, could it be multiple regions in a soundbite, each recorded at a different tempo, which caused this? Do you have multiple tempos in the conductor track? Is DP recording multiple regions within a take due to each of those tempos?

Just a question. Probably leads nowhere.

Shooshie
No. I tried this by created an empty Soundbite within DP, exporting it and importing it. I'm getting two regions in the import usually, but not always. I haven't figured out the conditions when I get the dups.