Duplicate files on import

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
DanielCoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Duplicate files on import

Post by DanielCoe »

Sean Kenny wrote:Here's another import I just did duplicates are exactly the same length. Files were created exported and then imported using the export/import feature in soundbites window

I passionately hate this about DP. When I import a file, even one not created in DP, but by a collaborator on another DAW, it RENAMES the file (and may includes duplicate 'regions' to borrow a PT term).

I get this also when I export from one DP project to pull into another project. For example, I want all my cues from a scoring project to be in one master project as stereo audio files. I print and label them in one session, export from the SB window, then import into an entirely different DP session (usually in the SB window using cmd-F1). When they come in they are renamed and often accompanied by many additional SBs for that track. However, when I import into Pro Tools that same file I exported from DP it comes in clean and properly labeled. This leads me to believe it's not a problem with the writing of the file header information (all the TC is properly preserved), but in how DP reads it.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a problem across the board, but perhaps a bug. I'm late to the topic, so I apologize if I'm redundant.
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Is there some confusion between viewing Names versus viewing Filenames? The Names (Regions) change as you edit, but the Filenames don't here. I'm also not seeing any duplication of Regions within the audio files imported.

If I import a file that was created in Logic, and set the view in the Soundbites window to Filenames, I see the file there with the original name, and a region that has the same name. As I edit the audio, additional regions appear in the list under the filename but the filename does not change. If I export any region, I get an audio file with the name of the soundbite. If I want the original, I can export the first region in the list. This all works in both directions between Logic and DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

DanielCoe wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:Here's another import I just did duplicates are exactly the same length. Files were created exported and then imported using the export/import feature in soundbites window
I passionately hate this about DP. When I import a file, even one not created in DP, but by a collaborator on another DAW, it RENAMES the file (and may includes duplicate 'regions' to borrow a PT term).

I get this also when I export from one DP project to pull into another project. For example, I want all my cues from a scoring project to be in one master project as stereo audio files. I print and label them in one session, export from the SB window, then import into an entirely different DP session (usually in the SB window using cmd-F1). When they come in they are renamed and often accompanied by many additional SBs for that track. However, when I import into Pro Tools that same file I exported from DP it comes in clean and properly labeled. This leads me to believe it's not a problem with the writing of the file header information (all the TC is properly preserved), but in how DP reads it.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a problem across the board, but perhaps a bug. I'm late to the topic, so I apologize if I'm redundant.
That's weird. I haven't seen that.
Does anyone know under what conditions that happens? How long has it been going on?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote:Is there some confusion between viewing Names versus viewing Filenames? The Names (Regions) change as you edit, but the Filenames don't here. I'm also not seeing any duplication of Regions within
Right Bayswater,
The screenshot is not showing the file names column. The file names should correspond to those you show in the Finder. What the screenshot is showing are soundbite, aka region, names. If the file you're importing has even 1 region created in the source program, it will show as a soundbite. I've imported or dragged into DP files where the single soundbite it contains is a couple of ticks shorter than the file and seen 2 soundbites. The solution here lies in doing what DP calls merging the soundbites before exporting from the source program. Also merging is good practice when sending files to another app from DP.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:Does anyone know under what conditions that happens? How long has it been going on?

Shooshie
I've been very busy lately, so I haven't had time to play with this more, but as I said earlier:
Phil O wrote:This isn't happening on my system when I export to Core Audio Wave. I haven't tried other formats yet. It may be a broadcast wave issue. Dunno.
But to be clear, I HAVE been able to duplicate the problem using broadcast wave format.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Shooshie wrote: That's weird. I haven't seen that.
Does anyone know under what conditions that happens? How long has it been going on?
Shooshie
I did an experiment. Through the SB import dialog I identified two different audio tracks I had created some time ago in DP. Via the Soundbites import dialog I could see that DP recognized two additional SBs (i.e. regions) associated with each track.

The first I imported through the SB dialog, and two regions came into the SB window. They were identical in length (at least to the hundredth as DP indicates). I took the second audio region that I had previously isolated and drag-and-dropped it onto the tracks window (not the timeline, but the tracks). It came in as a single SB. This despite the fact that DP had seen numerous associated regions when I inspected it previously via the SB dialog. Perhaps interestingly, the source of the drag and drop reads as Import From Sampler while the SB import source simply reads Import.

I also imported a track I made in Logic years ago and it came in as a single SB, source: Import.

Regarding the file names changing, dragging onto the timeline preserves them, while importing lists them by some other name (probably what is in the metadata).
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

DanielCoe wrote:
Shooshie wrote: That's weird. I haven't seen that.
Shooshie
I did an experiment. Through the SB import dialog I identified two different audio tracks I had created some time ago in DP. Via the Soundbites import dialog I could see that DP recognized two additional SBs (i.e. regions) associated with each track.

The first I imported through the SB dialog, and two regions came into the SB window. They were identical in length (at least to the hundredth as DP indicates). I took the second audio region that I had previously isolated and drag-and-dropped it onto the tracks window (not the timeline, but the tracks). It came in as a single SB. This despite the fact that DP had seen numerous associated regions when I inspected it previously via the SB dialog. Perhaps interestingly, the source of the drag and drop reads as Import From Sampler while the SB import source simply reads Import.

I also imported a track I made in Logic years ago and it came in as a single SB, source: Import.

Regarding the file names changing, dragging onto the timeline preserves them, while importing lists them by some other name (probably what is in the metadata).

That would explain why I haven't seen it. I nearly always drag & drop.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Shooshie wrote:That would explain why I haven't seen it. I nearly always drag & drop.

Shoosh
It's a nice method. Is there a way to override the TC spotting when dragging and dropping? In some situations it's nice to simply have the file come in at bar 1.
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Drag to the track name. (Imports into a new track)

If you want to drag it into an existing track, just drag to Bar 1. It will come in at the beginning of the bar. I'm talking about the Tracks Overview Window, of course.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I decided to do some testing to see when/how this problem is happening. I could not make it happen. Here's what I did.
• I loaded the following filetypes:
  • mp3
    m4A
    wav
    aiff
    mov
• I imported them all first by dragging, then by importing audio.
• I imported audio files that were of the same bit/sample rates, and others that had to be converted.
• I dragged one soundbite from the Tracks Overview and back into the Sequence Editor.
The predicted problem never emerged. I have yet to see a double-entry in the Soundbites Window or anywhere else.

So, what ARE the conditions that make it happen? Is anyone else seeing this besides the OP?

Shooshie
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Shooshie wrote:I decided to do some testing to see when/how this problem is happening. I could not make it happen. Here's what I did.
  • mp3
    m4A
    wav
    aiff
    mov
• I imported audio files that were of the same bit/sample rates, and others that had to be converted.
• I dragged one soundbite from the Tracks Overview and back into the Sequence Editor.
The predicted problem never emerged. I have yet to see a double-entry in the Soundbites Window or anywhere else.

So, what ARE the conditions that make it happen? Is anyone else seeing this besides the OP?

Shooshie
Thanks for the scientific experiments!

Did you try importing a wav that you EXPORTED from another DP session? That's how I typically operate, maybe it's an issue with the exporting function via bouncing. (I often print internally and then export that file to share with others.)
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

DanielCoe wrote:
Shooshie wrote:I decided to do some testing to see when/how this problem is happening. I could not make it happen. Here's what I did.
  • mp3
    m4A
    wav
    aiff
    mov

Shooshie
Thanks for the scientific experiments!

Did you try importing a wav that you EXPORTED from another DP session? That's how I typically operate, maybe it's an issue with the exporting function via bouncing. (I often print internally and then export that file to share with others.)
Wav files are wav files. Export one from DP and you still have a wav file. (and yes, actually, I did, more than once.) In your original post you talk about this as though it's unavoidable, something you absolutely hate about DP, and yet I cannot reproduce it, and I've never seen it. If it's that hard to reproduce, requiring such precise steps to do so (which I did, anyway, and which did not result in the double-entry), then it's odd that you find it so difficult to get around, since every way I try it gives me what we all would expect it to do. How can you so hate a "bug" that is so hard to reproduce?

Shooshie
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:Wav files are wav files. Export one from DP and you still have a wav file. (and yes, actually, I did, more than once.) In your original post you talk about this as though it's unavoidable, something you absolutely hate about DP, and yet I cannot reproduce it, and I've never seen it. If it's that hard to reproduce, requiring such precise steps to do so (which I did, anyway, and which did not result in the double-entry), then it's odd that you find it so difficult to get around, since every way I try it gives me what we all would expect it to do. How can you so hate a "bug" that is so hard to reproduce?

Shooshie
So I've finally had time to re-visit this, and it is quite reproducible (on my system anyway) and seems to be a Broadcast WAV issue. If I take the same stereo soundbite (created in any manner) and export it from the soundbite window in two formats, Core Audio WAV and Broadcast WAV then drag the newly created files to the soundbite window OR use command-I, the Core Audio file will import as a single soundbite but the B-WAV will import as two. Sure seems like a bug to me.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I can reproduce Phil's result. I hadn't tried Broadcast wave before I guess. Anyway, it appear to be an import thing rather than an export thing. If I drag the files exported from DP into Logic, they both have one region.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Shooshie wrote:Wav files are wav files. Export one from DP and you still have a wav file. (and yes, actually, I did, more than once.) In your original post you talk about this as though it's unavoidable, something you absolutely hate about DP, and yet I cannot reproduce it, and I've never seen it. If it's that hard to reproduce, requiring such precise steps to do so (which I did, anyway, and which did not result in the double-entry), then it's odd that you find it so difficult to get around, since every way I try it gives me what we all would expect it to do. How can you so hate a "bug" that is so hard to reproduce?

Shooshie
WAV files are not all the same as others are reporting and as I've described earlier. Expanding upon Phil's findings, when I export any soundbite as a Broadcast WAV and a Core Audio WAV, upon reimporting (via whatever method) into a DP session, not only are the aforementioned dup SB issues there, but the Broadcast WAV drops at a specific timecode region, while the Core Audio drops to bar 1. It does sound like a Broadcast WAV issue to me, rather than an import issue.

PS On a more positive note I've been recently delving into DP's Adjust Beats function. It the greatest thing ever. :headbang:
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6