Duplicate files on import

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Sean Kenny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Duplicate files on import

Post by Sean Kenny »

Hi guys

If there is an obvious answer to this that I should have been aware of, then I apologise in advance, but does anyone know why when I import an audio file from a different DP session (same sample rate bit rate and version) that I always get a duplicate versions, it's so annoying.

Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
bayswater

Re: Duplicate files on import

Post by bayswater »

Are they different files, or just different segments within the same files? The durations, starts, etc are different.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Could those be files created by edge edit copying? Perhaps they were already in existence in the original project file, and you're just now seeing them after importing them. Or not... I'm just tossing stuff out there to see what sticks.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

When you zoom in on the screenshot you can see theses are 2 sound bites within the same audio file. If there's nothing in the very short SBs, they can obviously be deleted. Sometimes this happens to me when importing, especially from another app.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

How are you importing the audio files?

If you don't want them duplicated on import, there's a setting for that in DP's Preferences. You can opt to have them referenced instead. But you must be VERY careful. I actually wouldn't recommend doing it...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FM, I think we're talking about a different sort of duplication. It's not that the files have been brought into the project from wherever they resided before, but that they seem to have been brought in twice. But on close inspection, there is only one copy of each audio file, but each has two regions defined within it.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You´re correct, Bays.
I suppose I didn´t read close enough :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for the replies and apologies for being off the radar for a while, I had a deadline brought forward by a client which resulted in me doing silly hours .... jeez Egyptian slaves get better working conditions than me!!

Further to the comments....... this happens even when I have not touched the original file once recorded i.e.. not edge edited or anything, just copied out of the project by selecting the entire soundbite from either the tracks overview, there sequence editor or the soundbite window, hitting "option R" to reveal the file selected in the parent folder, then just copying and pasting to another folder. The file is then imported "Cmd F1" to a fresh project from this new folder and I still get the duplicate soundbites.

I'll dig a little deeper.

Thanks for taking the time guys

Regards

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

I have had the same issue recently. Same files, same names. Two exact copies of the same audio file. No edits having been done on these. Lately it was files sent to me by a collaborator.
I imported them in the normal, highlighted the files and and clicked the button at the bottom, sorry forgot it's name. DP 8.07 Mac Pro 10.9x
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

tbrianmann wrote:I have had the same issue recently. Same files, same names. Two exact copies of the same audio file. No edits having been done on these. Lately it was files sent to me by a collaborator.
I imported them in the normal, highlighted the files and and clicked the button at the bottom, sorry forgot it's name. DP 8.07 Mac Pro 10.9x
The problem reported above by Sean does not appear to be duplicate files. Look at the image he posted. They are single audio files that contain two regions. It is not clear where the regions were created -- presumably not DP.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

The problem reported above by Sean does not appear to be duplicate files. Look at the image he posted. They are single audio files that contain two regions. It is not clear where the regions were created -- presumably not DP.
They are single audio files that I select to import, which turn into 2 soundbites once imported.

They were created in DP. They are pre master mixes that are created not from a 'bounce' (i.e. in the box summing) I analogue sum everything through my console and record it back into DP..... in other words they are just ordinary everyday recordings, that are exported for mastering and then imported into a dedicated "Mastering" DP Project, where upon I experience this duplicate soundbite anomaly.

FWIW, it doesn't make any difference what sample rate I'm working at either.

Also worth noting that I have had this problem for quite a while both on my old Intel Mac 2,1 running DP 7.24 on OS 10.6.8 and on my new Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 running DP 8.07 on 10.9.4 ........ weird.

Any ideas?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Sean Kenny wrote:They were created in DP. They are pre master mixes that are created not from a 'bounce' (i.e. in the box summing) I analogue sum everything through my console and record it back into DP..... in other words they are just ordinary everyday recordings, that are exported for mastering and then imported into a dedicated "Mastering" DP Project, where upon I experience this duplicate soundbite anomaly.
So if I'm reading this correctly you:

Send to an analog mixer from a project (call it SeanSong) and record back to a stereo track in SeanSong.

Then export this stereo track (file format?).

Next you import the stereo file to a mastering project (not SeanSong).

Is this correct? Let me know and I'll try to duplicate your process on my end and let you know what I get.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I have the same thing happen here very consistently. If I open the sound file in DSP Quattro is shows no extra regions, markers, etc, but when I drag the same file into DP it creates two slightly different soundbites, exactly like your screen shot shows. It seems to be a long standing bug that has been around through several DP versions.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If it's a DP bug, I don't think it can be very widespread. I've never noticed it. I just checked by dragging an AIF into the TO, importing via the SB window, and opening a new project and recording two tracks, one after the other. In all cases, I got one soundbite per audio file. Splitting them creates new regions as expected, and undo removes the new regions. So it seems like all is working as expected.

Maybe there are some audio file preferences, preferences related to imports, file format, recording prerolls, etc. that account for this.

The feature that records audio prior to hitting record -- wouldn't that create an extra region? DP only places the portion after hitting record in the edit screens, so maybe the earlier part has to be shown as a separate region?
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Phil O wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:They were created in DP. They are pre master mixes that are created not from a 'bounce' (i.e. in the box summing) I analogue sum everything through my console and record it back into DP..... in other words they are just ordinary everyday recordings, that are exported for mastering and then imported into a dedicated "Mastering" DP Project, where upon I experience this duplicate soundbite anomaly.
So if I'm reading this correctly you:

Send to an analog mixer from a project (call it SeanSong) and record back to a stereo track in SeanSong.

Then export this stereo track (file format?).

Next you import the stereo file to a mastering project (not SeanSong).

Is this correct? Let me know and I'll try to duplicate your process on my end and let you know what I get.

Phil
Hi Phil that's exactly right .... thanks for the input