Avid S3 with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Avid S3 with DP

Post by delcosmos »

Guys, I just received an S3 for demo and so far its working great with Digital Performer 8.06.

Its a very elegant controller, I love that it shows the colors of the tracks and the Led Meters are accurate.

Definitely I'm gonna keep this guy.

Best regards.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
JSmith1234567

Re: Avid S3 with DP

Post by JSmith1234567 »

That is very cool.

Slightly off-on topic...how do you feel generally about Eucon and how it integrates with DP?

Also, how much of a hit does it take on your system as opposed to if Eucon weren't loaded?

I've heard mixed reactions about loading the Eucon drivers and having them hitting the CPU hard, but I have not bought into the Avid Artist stuff yet myself.

It does look terrific, especially the Artist Mix.

Thanks so much in advance!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
OLB
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by OLB »

Very interesting! I'd love to hear some answers on the question above.

And how are the experiences with the S3 so far?
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

JSmith1234567 wrote:That is very cool.

Slightly off-on topic...how do you feel generally about Eucon and how it integrates with DP?

Also, how much of a hit does it take on your system as opposed to if Eucon weren't loaded?

I've heard mixed reactions about loading the Eucon drivers and having them hitting the CPU hard, but I have not bought into the Avid Artist stuff yet myself.

Hi guys, sorry I'm late with this.

Eucon integrates great with DP, I love that you could pick a track with the mouse and the faders jump to that section automatically, just like the Artist MIX.

I think they already fixed the "cpu" bug, its not making any problems with my system.

I'm very happy.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hey thanks very much!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bjornln

Post by bjornln »

Delcosmos,

Think you've had the S3 long enough to give a longer review. or a pros / cons of using the S3 with DP8 ?

/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
paddyryan

Post by paddyryan »

I have been specifically told by both MOTU and Avid that the S3 does NOT support DP (or is it the other way around?). Apparently the NEW Eucon isn't the same as the old one...

I was going to buy one. Are you saying that it DOES work completely? Including all the plugin integration etc.?
Mac Pro 8 Core/OSX 10.10/DP8.06/28 gigs RAM/2 x2408MkIII/MTP-AV/Yamaha 02R96/UAD2/Waves Mercury/Komplete/PLAY/Wavearts/ etc etc
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I am interested too. It is about the only one that would fit me right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

paddyryan wrote:I have been specifically told by both MOTU and Avid that the S3 does NOT support DP (or is it the other way around?). Apparently the NEW Eucon isn't the same as the old one...

I was going to buy one. Are you saying that it DOES work completely? Including all the plugin integration etc.?
Yes, I confirm S3 its working great with Digital Perferomer 8.07, same thing as an artist mix.
Latest Eucon verision installed.

Best regards.
Last edited by delcosmos on Sun May 24, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I have Artist Mix and it has been a godsend. But there are bugs in the implementation that one has to get used to a do work-arounds for.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

toodamnhip wrote:

I have Artist Mix and it has been a godsend. But there are bugs in the implementation that one has to get used to a do work-arounds for.
I know of one that I would hope is or gets fixed and that is banking channels doesn't follow from controller to what's on the screen. I forget exactly which way the bug happens whether if one banks to a channel on the Artist Mix it doesn't bank to the same channel on the computer screen or the other way around.

One thing that drives me nuts on the Artist series is not having a Mute button but it's called 'On' instead. One of those mental adjustments one has to make. The S3 does have it properly labeled as 'Mute'.
paddyryan

Post by paddyryan »

Dp 9 claims to have updated Eucon support (is it Eucon 3?). Any experience using S3 with DP9? I noticed that DP doesn't show up in Avid's "supported DAW" list for the S3... but this is not uncommon for many products... so many just ignore DP. Im not sure why.
Mac Pro 8 Core/OSX 10.10/DP8.06/28 gigs RAM/2 x2408MkIII/MTP-AV/Yamaha 02R96/UAD2/Waves Mercury/Komplete/PLAY/Wavearts/ etc etc
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

How is it working for you on DP 9.02?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
etl17
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by etl17 »

Any update on this?
Is it verified that the S3 actually functions properly with the latest DP9?

Any info would be helpful to a fool like me that is contemplating to give Avid his hard-earned money..... :-)
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!