Optimizing VEPro/MIR & East-West's Play to DP 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Optimizing VEPro/MIR & East-West's Play to DP 8

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I'm attempting to create an orchestral templet using only East-West's Play (the older Symphonic Orchestra - Platinum library) with VEPro/MIR housed on my Early 2009 Mac Pro (see signature for details) and DP 8 on my Mac Mini (i7 4 core with 16 GB RAM, OS X 10.10). ALL programs are up to date. Unfortunately, it ain't happening and I don't know what might be causing the problem. I am experiencing strange behavior like notes that do not stop when I play them.

I've had East-West's Symphonic Orchestra - Platinum library for a while. I've never really ever been able to create a larger, stable orchestral templet with this library.

I've also had VEPro 5 for a while. It seems to work just fine. . . most of the time. Engaging MIR, though, has not always been dependable with a relative large orchestral templet, though (using about 50+ instruments which is probably small by other people's standards).

Recently, though, I've upgraded my happy Mac Pro with SSDs which programs like Play seem to enjoy. Indeed, other orchestral templets created using Kontakt-powered (Kirk Hunter libraries), Garriton and other libraries work fine with the SSDs and other orchestral templet arrangements that I've created.

I'm attempting to use the sound from one orchestral library, hence my desire to use East-West's Symphonic Orchestra and VEPro/MIR (to help me design the overall sound and placement of the instruments).

Oh . . . to add to this mix of things, I've upgraded both of my Apple computers to Yosemite. With the exception of a few minor glitches, I am happy with this upgrade. . . so far. . . for both of my computers. DP 8 seems to work just fine with Yosemite when I use it without this templet that I'm attempting to create.

Any ideas to optimizing a templet such as this? Through this Mac Pro/Mac Mini set-up, I'm allowing my Mac Pro to do all of the processing. For the one templet that I created, I used Play multi-tembrally (verses 50+ individual activations of Play). Might THIS be the issue? I know that when I use Kontact, I use many, many activations rather than setting up multi-tembral arrangements.

How do you use East-West's Play, VEPro & MIR, and DP 8 with your Master/Slave computer set-ups? What might I be doing wrong??

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful input.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Optimizing VEPro/MIR & East-West's Play to DP 8

Post by zuul-studios »

I realize that there are many variables to optimizing a configuration such as this. However, I'm open to any thoughtful suggestions and/or comments.

Thank you. . . :)
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.