Getting started with DP 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
DCM
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting started with DP 8

Post by DCM »

After many years of using Cubase I have decided to see if it wouldn't be more satisfying to work in DP. . . As I expected - I find myself instantly in the foothills of a very tall mountain whose peak is obscured by thick clouds, but I'm ready to make the climb, I just need a guide.

#1. Where can I download a full-fledged pdf manual for DP 8? So I don't have to nag too often :)

As of now I succeeded in creating a project. I imported a wav. file, (a stereo sketch I made for a new tune). It appears as a "soundbite." By clicking on the soundbite I can hear it. I can see it as a waveform in the "Waveform Editor" but have been unable to move it to a track. . . How would a fella like me do such a thing??

Thanks in advance - DCM

OK. . . I FIGURED IT OUT!
Last edited by DCM on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Re: Getting started with DP 8

Post by bayswater »

The PDF manual is part of the package you download. Look for DP User Guide in the help menu. You can, if you want, take it out of the application, at least in the Mac version, by option dragging it out of the application package, or saving a copy in the PDF reader.

You might want to look over the Getting Started guide as well.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Strongly recommend the tutorials at Groove 3. Details in my sig. (Not affiliated, just a believer.)

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

DCM

Post by DCM »

THANKS!!! I'm going right to it!!! MAN. . . hobbled though I may be functionally, this program soooo aesthetically hits the spot. . . I've barely scratched the surface but feel when I get the lay of the land it'll be XXX. Trying to figure out how to implement the "consolidated" layout that suits me - though I'm sure that will evolve, but again - am so turned on by the look, the "customizability" -

I am also impressed by the forum and in general the whole DP culture. Again - my thanks...
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

The groove 3 tutorials will save you a ton of time. well worth it.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

DCM

Post by DCM »

Thanks. . . I just took a look at one of Eli's videos on line and - he's good. I'm more of a reader than a "watcher" but I still may jump on that. For now - I'll use the Getting Started and User Guide and see how I do. I appreciate the tip. MAN!! I LOVE "None More Black" - whoever came up with that must've mind melded with me when I wasn't looking!

Later - D.M.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

A couple of tips that will flatten your learning curve a bit:
  • 1) Read through the Commands Window [SHIFT-L]. You may want to print out all 28 pages of it (or however many it's up to now). You can change the keyboard bindings in the Commands Window, but more importantly, you'll find many commands that have no way to access them unless you ADD a keyboard binding. You can do it either through the computer keyboard or any MIDI device. The real hidden power is in this window.

2) Take a look at the DP Tips Sheet in this forum, and its accompanying thread. The tips sheet has been added to chronologically, without any sort of organization, so it's pretty scattered. You can search for keywords using Safari's page search. (Command-F) If you pay attention to the headers for each tip, you'll see that there are categories and "works in __(window)__." These can aid in your searches. For example, you use Safari's page search (Command-F) and type in "Tracks Overview Window" or just "Overview" and use Command-G to zip through them to see any tips or shortcuts for that window. (and that's not a bad place to start.)
On page 2 of the tips sheet, you will find a couple of articles that might help grasp some concepts about selections and MIDI editing in DP: DP allows you to choose where Middle C is, so be sure you are using the Middle C that you think you're using. It's in the Preferences, somewhere in the first few panes, IIRC. Yamaha MIDI devices have long used C3 for Middle C, while Kurzweil and certain others have used the more traditional C4. It's the same note, but the labeling is an octave apart.

If you need a frequency chart, with MIDI note numbers, you'll find those here: Middle C3 Frequency Chart:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75122252/FrequencyChart.pdf [/list]

There's lots more, but you'll find a lot in the Tips Sheet thread, beyond the actual Tips Sheet, so I'll let you absorb at your own rate for now. I've got dozens of links for helping people get up to speed, so don't hesitate to ask.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|