How do I explode a MIDI track into multiple by channel?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do I explode a MIDI track into multiple by channel?

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:stubbsonic is correct. One MIDI Channel to a track. That's just how it's always been in DP and its predecessor, Performer.
Is it that clear and simple? E.g. with Devices, you get multiple channels. Seems to me there is no channel info at all in DP MIDI data, and it is added on at the time of playback or export. It doesn't show up in any editors. So in theory you can't edit channel, because it's not there.
I can't think of a situation in which a single MIDI track carries notes or controllers uniquely bound for different channels. But I may not be thinking of everything. I tend to temporarily forget some of the most obvious things until I lay eyes on them.

Device groups routes the contents of a track to multiple destinations, but that info isn't in the track. You get the whole bulk of the track repeated for each device. You can't specify that some data in the track goes to one place, and other data goes elsewhere.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yes.

And when a MIDI sequence is brought into DP (imported, dragged, opened), it will see the channelized data and parse out to the different tracks based on those channels.

If the MIDI file was dragged in and showed one track with all the data merged into a single track, then either the data somehow lost it's channel info, or the source app had multiple tracks (with each track assigned to the same channel).

Seems like the easiest solution (if available) would be to go back to the source app and try re-exporting after the channel assignments were double checked. Choose a MIDI file type 1 (rather than 0)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:Yes.

And when a MIDI sequence is brought into DP (imported, dragged, opened), it will see the channelized data and parse out to the different tracks based on those channels.

If the MIDI file was dragged in and showed one track with all the data merged into a single track, then either the data somehow lost it's channel info, or the source app had multiple tracks (with each track assigned to the same channel).

Seems like the easiest solution (if available) would be to go back to the source app and try re-exporting after the channel assignments were double checked. Choose a MIDI file type 1 (rather than 0)
So, you're saying to re-import the file, and if the channels are intact, DP will auto-channelize it through independent tracks for each channel. I think you're right, and if so, the problem is solved. What's not to like about this? Rather than our sitting around trying to poke holes in it, I think the OP ought to give that a try.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Shooshie wrote:So, you're saying to re-import the file, and if the channels are intact, DP will auto-channelize it through independent tracks for each channel. I think you're right, and if so, the problem is solved. What's not to like about this? Rather than our sitting around trying to poke holes in it, I think the OP ought to give that a try.

Shooshie
I'll have to run the experiment again. What I'm trying to do is capture multiple MIDI channels coming from a Korg Kronos (the channels are parts generated by Karma). I could create 16 MIDI tracks and record enable them all - but one of the choices for MIDI source was "all Kronos" and a tutorial on recording Karma data from Kronos with Logic showed recording all MIDI to one track and using a Logic command - explode channels to tracks or something like that.

In an effort to move forward, I went ahead and created the 16 MIDI tracks. That works. But it is kind of cumbersome to work with so many tracks recording at once.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Are you unable to export the Kronos parts as standard MIDI files (-- double checking to make sure all 16 ((or however many parts)) are on unique MIDI channels)?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Are you unable to export the Kronos parts as standard MIDI files (-- double checking to make sure all 16 ((or however many parts)) are on unique MIDI channels)?
MIDI Monitor will tell you that. Even so, unless DP stores the channel info, you still wouldn't be able to edit it inside DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

Are you using the Kronos in sequncer mode ? You should , even if you're using only 1 combi with 1 Karma module.

Assuming you're not using sequencer mode , switch to Sequencer mode.

I am an Oasys owner and the following instruct should be the same on a Kronos (or at least close)

• Using the page menu button, (upper RH corner) open the menu and scroll to 'Copy from Combi'
choose your combi, with or without IFX, MFX, TFXs and hit 'OK'

• In Sequnecer mode : Choose the 'Track Parameter' tab … you should now see a horizontal row
Status : whether each track is sending MIDI data to the internal engine , or to an external device or sequencer, or both - I believe it defaults to 'BTH'
MIDI channel : 1-16
Bank Select : MSB
Bank Select : LSB
Track Priority

Depending on the number of modules being used, each karma module's output should be set to their own channel.
It could be possible to have multiple programs within the combi assigned to the same karma module ( e.g. 2 different legato string programs as the sound sources of 1 Karma module - please take note) If so , when setting up tracks in DP , you might want to assign an additional track - 1 for each program for extra editing flexibility in DP.

Hopefully , you should now have multiple tracks setup for each program.

Think of Sequencer mode as a 'Multi' mode and not solely for internal sequencing in the Kronos.

HTH - Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Schweats wrote:Are you using the Kronos in sequncer mode ? You should , even if you're using only 1 combi with 1 Karma module.

Assuming you're not using sequencer mode , switch to Sequencer mode.

I am an Oasys owner and the following instruct should be the same on a Kronos (or at least close)

• Using the page menu button, (upper RH corner) open the menu and scroll to 'Copy from Combi'
choose your combi, with or without IFX, MFX, TFXs and hit 'OK'

• In Sequnecer mode : Choose the 'Track Parameter' tab … you should now see a horizontal row
Status : whether each track is sending MIDI data to the internal engine , or to an external device or sequencer, or both - I believe it defaults to 'BTH'
MIDI channel : 1-16
Bank Select : MSB
Bank Select : LSB
Track Priority

Depending on the number of modules being used, each karma module's output should be set to their own channel.
It could be possible to have multiple programs within the combi assigned to the same karma module ( e.g. 2 different legato string programs as the sound sources of 1 Karma module - please take note) If so , when setting up tracks in DP , you might want to assign an additional track - 1 for each program for extra editing flexibility in DP.

Hopefully , you should now have multiple tracks setup for each program.

Think of Sequencer mode as a 'Multi' mode and not solely for internal sequencing in the Kronos.

HTH - Schweats
Yep - sequencer mode. I've got 16 MIDI tracks set up in DP to capture the kronos output now.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.