How do I explode a MIDI track into multiple by channel?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do I explode a MIDI track into multiple by channel?

Post by SixStringGeek »

There must be a command to do this. I have a MIDI track with data on lots of channels and I want to split it into one track per channel. I have been searching the manual and google for words like explode, expand, separate, split, channelize and I'm stuck. Can I buy a clue?

:banghead:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
adriano

Re: How do I explode a MIDI track into multiple by channel?

Post by adriano »

Hi SixStrings,
Not in front of DP right now, but I believe there is a command in the menu "Split Notes(?)" that should do it.
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
adriano

Post by adriano »

Or maybe I misread.
Save As .mid file type 1 then, open the file you saved.
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

adriano wrote:Or maybe I misread.
Save As .mid file type 1 then, open the file you saved.
Yeah, split notes breaks a long note into two short ones. I want to explode by MIDI channel and end up with 1 MIDI track per channel rather than one track with events from 16 channels.

I tried the MIDI file export/import - it still pulled them all into one track (I dragged the file into the sequence window to import).

This seems like such a basic capability. I've heard Logic has such a command, I assumed DP would too.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Split notes is what you want. Have a look in the manual at p 573. Or search the manual for the very word you used: "explode".
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm not sure exactly what you want, because I'm skimming and in a hurry, but Bays is right about Split Notes. It's not just "splitting a note in two." It... well... you just need to go look. It's pretty amazing. I have a video somewhere of using it to do some advanced stuff. Will post link if I find it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Shooshie wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you want, because I'm skimming and in a hurry, but Bays is right about Split Notes. It's not just "splitting a note in two." It... well... you just need to go look. It's pretty amazing. I have a video somewhere of using it to do some advanced stuff. Will post link if I find it.

Shoosh
OK, I checked out Split Notes - it looks amazing in some ways - but it doesn't allow selecting events by MIDI channel. Note ranges, velocity, and duration. Not MIDI channel.

I forgot there is a searchable manual these days - I searched MIDI channel. I don't think DP can do what I want. :(
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

SixStringGeek wrote:Yeah, split notes breaks a long note into two short ones.
Just wanted to clarify that "Split" and "Split Notes" are two completely different things. "Split Notes" does not break a note in two. "Split" does.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SixStringGeek wrote: OK, I checked out Split Notes - it looks amazing in some ways - but it doesn't allow selecting events by MIDI channel. Note ranges, velocity, and duration. Not MIDI channel.

I forgot there is a searchable manual these days - I searched MIDI channel. I don't think DP can do what I want. :(
Sorry, I thought you were splitting TO MIDI channels, not BY MIDI channels. I don't think DP would select/split by MIDI channel because it channelizes MIDI on playback. (Is MIDI channel even present or stored in a DP project file?) If you have the MIDI in tracks assigned to MIDI channels, perhaps a combination of selections and merges would do what you want.
reedster

Post by reedster »

There's no separate command as DP should channelize both Type 1 and Type 0 MIDI files on import.

MIDI Yodi can help determine what channel info is in the file:

http://www.canato.se/midiyodi/my_index.html
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Are you saying DP stores the MIDI channel information in it's document files? Yoda, MIDI Monitor, etc, will show a MIDI channel, but where does that info come from? In the original MIDI message or after DPs channelization.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have been under the impression (for years) that DP did not keep multiple channels in a single track.

When I read this thread, I was thinking that either the original file (that you imported) didn't have multiple channels (or DP would have made them separate tracks)-- OR somehow it was merging them and making them all one channel.

You might go back to your original MIDI file and see if the notes are on separate channels at the source file.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

IF the operation you want is similar to one that is part of SONAR (pc only) , unfortunately, it is not part of DP , to the best of my knowledge. This workaround possibly might help…
Select your composite track and duplicate it 15x's. Open each duplicate track separately in a MIDI window (piano scroll) and select all data that you don't want and delete it, rename the track and select the appropriate sound source and single MIDI channel for output e.g. on first duplicate track, only retain all drum note data , delete everthing else.
This method assures that all data from the original multi-channel track is exactly in the same location with each duplicate. Do this with each duplicate …

tedious, but it gets you there HTH Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic is correct. One MIDI Channel to a track. That's just how it's always been in DP and its predecessor, Performer.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:stubbsonic is correct. One MIDI Channel to a track. That's just how it's always been in DP and its predecessor, Performer.
Is it that clear and simple? E.g. with Devices, you get multiple channels. Seems to me there is no channel info at all in DP MIDI data, and it is added on at the time of playback or export. It doesn't show up in any editors. So in theory you can't edit channel, because it's not there.