My 2 part video tutorial on Spotting film with DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My 2 part video tutorial on Spotting film with DP8

Post by bralston »

Hey Guys. Here are the links to my 2 part video tutorial on using DP to enter your spotting notes for scoring film & creating markers...and then in part 2 of the tutorial, determining tempos, meter, etc...all ending with a cue demonstration.

There are a lot of great videos out there now showing one scoring a cue "live" with DP...but there is a lot of setup one has to do before you get to the point of entering notes and I wants to share my process here.

PART 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BYDz_UnMy0

PART 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pogtzz4Pw98
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
cowtothesky

Re: My 2 part video tutorial on Spotting film with DP8

Post by cowtothesky »

Thanks for posting these, Brian. It's always helpful to see how others work through these things. There definitely is a need for more videos on the setup process. It can get quite complex and I've had to learn most of it on my own. Great stuff! thanks
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Many thanks for this.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Yes, many, many thanks. I learned a lot from this.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Interesting and educational.

Bryan, you said you get the occasional corrupted audio file or instrument file in chunks, which is why you save each cue out as its own file. If you could depend on not having corrupted sequences, would you still do that?

I used to get the same until I stopped using Kontakt. I haven't had a corrupted audio file or instrument since then, though I know it can happen anyway. Years ago I got a corrupted file using nothing but Ivory. (one chunk in the file, no more) That was a one-time thing, and rebuilding the instrument didn't fix it. It was a corrupted DP file. Never figured out exactly why. It was a bear to fix. But really, my chunk corruptions stopped when I dumped Kontakt. I still have the full version, and I keep it up to date, because sometimes you just have to use it. But I depend fully on VSL for strings, Wallander for winds, and a few other things for... well... other things. It's been great.

It just seems like all that saving files, waiting for each one to load when you have to go through them all and export cues, etc., is a lot of extra time when you could be using chunks. Now, if you send a DP file to someone else, and THAT'S where it goes corrupted, then that's a whole other ball game. I would certainly understand wanting to make that foolproof.

Just curious...

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bralston

Post by bralston »

Shooshie,

To answer your question...yes. Despite file corruption possibilities...I would still do it. On an organization level, I feel it is better to have it separate. I would not like my audio folder having all the audio tracks for ALL the cues. I want them separate. Also much better for saving and backing up project files.

I have felt that the file corruption in my cases (and in my friend's case)...were related to the audio file standard used. SDII files corrupted ALL the time. AIFF less...and Broadcast Wav MUCH LESS. SDII had to be finalized before the file could be used. If anything interrupted that process, the audio file got corrupted. BWav files do not have to be finalized and they are still viable. Thus you could be in the middle of a hour long live recording and if the computer crashed...the BWav file up to the point of the crash would still be viable.

I do not have loading issues with virtual instruments as all of my instruments are hosted in Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 outside of DP. Some on the same MacPro...some on slave MacMini's on the network. (Except a few occasional things that I may load unique to a cue in the V-Rack). I load up Vienna in the morning...and it sits there all day. All my project templates are the same and their routing just taps into VEPro for the instruments...so opening and closing project files are fairly quick, especially on my SSD drives. I can go from project file to project file in seconds. Similar to changing chunk files and sometimes actually faster.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks, Bryan.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|