Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite

Post by HCMarkus »

Might be a good time to build a system drive on an SSD Shooshie… just saying'. Run a dual boot drive machine for a while, so you have access to old software you need in a pinch.
BobK

Post by BobK »

EDITED - the crackling problem is back!

After upgrading my 2012 MacBook Pro to Yosemite a couple of days ago without incident, I took the plunge and installed it on my 2009 Mac Pro 8-core.

The startup drive in my Mac Pro is a 480GB SSD from OWC, and it was a little over half full. I cloned it using Carbon Copy Cloner before installing Yosemite.

This upgrade went smoothly too - and pretty fast with the SSD.

I initially had some loud crackling sounds when playing back audio from browsers and iTunes through my ULN-8. A restart of the computer resolved that, at least temporarily, and I also trashed the sound preferences file as a precautionary measure.

Unfortunately, the crackling is back. Metric Halo told me some issues slipped by them during development for Yosemite and will be addressed in an update soon.

The only issue is that my ULN-8 does not appear in the devices menu when I option-click on the Sound icon in the menu bar. It does appear in the devices list in the Sound Preferences panel, and selecting it does result in audio being routed to it.

When I initially wrote this post, the crackling hadn't returned, and I was a happy camper. Now, not quite as happy. Fortunately, the crackling has not occurred with DP playback.

Sorry to hear that some of you are having major issues. Hope you're able to resolve them quickly.
Last edited by BobK on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I had crackling as well, but only from my own server hosted at GoDaddy. That has subsided. My kernel panic was only this morning but I am balancing the benefits and headaches of restoring my HD to Mavericks vs staying with Yosemite a bit longer. As far as Finale is concerned, it was already a done deal in Mavericks. DOA in regards to movies. But I am more hopeful about DP and MOTU so I'll give it a few more days. Maybe Apple will issue an update to Yosemite and everything will be peachy again. That's kind of the way to has been going for a while so I'm hopeful...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
leigh

Post by leigh »

When I moved from my G5 to my iMac, I used Disk Utility to make a disk image of my G5 startup drive and put the image on my sample library drive. It's been quite useful on occasion.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I've posted the following in other threads, this might prove useful:

There is a bug in Mavericks 10.9.4 that may prevent a complete restore from a Time Machine backup (rare but I've experienced it). This bug was fixed in 10.9.5 (I don't want to go into why I know this but it was not fun. Nosir!). If you are on Mavericks, update to 10.9.5 first, let Time Machine back up a few times, then update to Yosemite.

I found a minor bug in Yosemite that affects Time Machine. Yosemite may let your Mac go to sleep during a TM backup and you get an error message. The workaround is to make sure that a TM backup isn't in process when putting your Mac to sleep. I haven't seen this one since 10.5.2.

If you have the OS crashing having just updated to Yosemite, you qualify for one of the exceptions that allows you to call AppleCare for free. If there's a crash report, they can read it and tell you how to find and remove the offending .kext.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I found a minor bug in Yosemite that affects Time Machine. Yosemite may let your Mac go to sleep during a TM backup and you get an error message.
I had it go to sleep during a long update download from the Apple site. Maybe part of the same bug.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:I had it go to sleep during a long update download from the Apple site. Maybe part of the same bug.
Come to think of it, the same thing happened to me. Silly stupid stuff that should have been fixed in beta.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Beta indeed! After 4 public betas it's still a beta. That's what makes the use of test partitions necessary. But it's also a convenience where you can investigate the new features and get a good setup before you switch over.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The version of JackOS that comes with Mixbus (0.86 I think) doesn't work. You get a message saying you need OS X 10.6 or later! There is a version 0.90b. It works.

EDIT: Spoke to Harrison: Some people are reporting problems with Version 0.90b. But the good news is Mixbus 3 is coming and it will work directly with CoreAudio.
Last edited by bayswater on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

beautypill wrote:I am using OSX Yosemite and Digital Performer 8.07.

I am using a 2011 17" MacBook Pro.

I use two Metric Halo ULN8s. I updated to their most recent (purportedly Yosemite-compatible) drivers.

But DP simply will not start. Keeps freezing and has to be "force quitted."

As I said, it's a bummer.

It was dumb of me to make the leap! I regret it. I will always wait a few months from now on.

- c
Re Install DP
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:

I use two Metric Halo ULN8s. I updated to their most recent (purportedly Yosemite-compatible) drivers.

It was dumb of me to make the leap! I regret it. I will always wait a few months from now on.

- c
Re Install DP

Yep, that's whatcha gotta do. Or re-install the entire Mac OS X, as well as DP. That's what I'll be doing in a week or so, if not sooner. And you know what happens? When you finally get it done (yeah, it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time), things work so well you won't believe it. And you'll be telling everyone "re-install your whole system!"

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:

- c
Re Install DP

Yep, that's whatcha gotta do. Or re-install the entire Mac OS X, as well as DP. That's what I'll be doing in a week or so, if not sooner. And you know what happens? When you finally get it done (yeah, it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time), things work so well you won't believe it. And you'll be telling everyone "re-install your whole system!"

Shooshie
Or, after he does all that, he'll quietly go back to Mavericks and no one will know or take notice.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote:When you finally get it done... things work so well you won't believe it. And you'll be telling everyone "re-install your whole system!"

Shooshie
That's been my experience as well. Take 3 or 4 days and you're good for a few years, at least. I'm ready to kiss and make-up with Mavericks...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

On a new Y partition, the PSP plugins install, but the authorizers don't appear to work. I guess upgrading with PSP plugins already authorized works?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:On a new Y partition, the PSP plugins install, but the authorizers don't appear to work. I guess upgrading with PSP plugins already authorized works?
Yes.

You can re-download your authorization files to the new partition. open and click. I did that when I tested my SSD a few weeks ago. Piece of cake.

It's a good idea to have Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere set in System Preferences/Security & Privacy when reinstalling many plugins including PSP.