Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In my case it's the entire app and come to think of it, it has been with specific VIs. Work Wavestation, MachFive, and the UVI Workstation all have crashed. I think I only had a couple of crashes while BTD, and that could have been the VI as well. At least on or two crashes were clicking the mouse during a process, but that is not new in this version or OS.

Today went well. Maybe two crashes early on then stable the rest of the day.

I'll probably hang in Yosemite for a while and see if a fix isn't forthcoming for both DP and the OS. I've pretty much given up all hope for Finale...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

BobK, yes. Usually crash on quit. Losing MAS was happening to me when the Mac was sleeping on Mavericks. Same with the Windows version on Windows 7. This doesn't happen now on Yosemite.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BobK

Post by BobK »

Here's an issue:

My Metric Halo ULN-8 does not appear in the list of output devices when I option-click the sound icon in the menu bar. (It always did in Mavericks and earlier.)

It does appear in the Sound Preferences window. However, when I select it for sound output, audio from iTunes and Safari won't play back through it until I quit and re-launch them.

Has anyone else had these issues with their 3d-party audio interfaces?

Hope this isn't too far OT. (Not a DP issue.)

EDIT: This was TEMPORARILY resolved on both computers by booting into Recovery Mode and running Repair Disk and Repair Permissions using Disk Utility.

After rebooting the computers, ULN-8 immediately appeared in menu bar and audio playback was rerouted to it without relaunching iTunes.

However, after putting the computer to sleep, waking it up, and then booting the ULN-8, the problem is back.
Last edited by BobK on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Bob - you did update to the latest MIO version for Yosemite compatibility, yes? Firmware on the ULN also up to date?
BobK

Post by BobK »

jloeb wrote:Bob - you did update to the latest MIO version for Yosemite compatibility, yes? Firmware on the ULN also up to date?
Yes. MIO Console, driver, and firmware are all current. I even re-installed the firmware.

Working with Jon in tech support. Just wanted to get a sense of how common this problem is. Not yet clear if the issue is with the MIO driver or the OS, but I should add that it’s happening on my 2012 MacBook Pro too.

This morning, I tested the MacBook Pro using just my 2882+DSP connected directly (using a FW Port Isolator, so it required AC power). Initially it appeared in the menu-bar device list, but when I went back a couple of minutes later it was gone!

After selecting the 2882 in either the menu bar (when it was briefly there) or in sound Preferences, I could NOT get iTunes audio to play back through it, even after restarting iTunes.

EDIT: This was TEMPORARILY resolved on both computers by booting into Recovery Mode and running Repair Disk and Repair Permissions using Disk Utility.

After rebooting the computers, ULN-8 immediately appeared in menu bar and audio playback was rerouted to it without relaunching iTunes.

However, after putting the computer to sleep, waking it up, and then booting the ULN-8, the problem is back.
Last edited by BobK on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Uh oh. Buchalter to the rescue...

Increasingly glad I haven't installed Yosemite anywhere but on my laptop.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

jloeb wrote:Uh oh. Buchalter to the rescue...

Increasingly glad I haven't installed Yosemite anywhere but on my laptop.
Word.

One note for those getting new iPhones and other dvices using iOS8... the new iCloud Drive requires that all subscribing computers be running Yosemite. I was seriously bummed when I heard this, but the "clouds" quickly lifted when I discovered that you can still use iCloud under iOS8 and older versions of Mac OS if you DECLINE to switch to iCloud Drive when setting up your new iOS8 device.

So be very careful when setting up devices under iOS8 if you are running older versions of Mac OS and want to retain shared calendars and contacts.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've been pleasantly surprised. My Yosemite test partition is all set up and everything works. A lot of old utilities like Cherrypicker and MIDI Monitor, old apps like Redmatica Autosampler, old VIs like Truepiano, all work. A bit of reauthorizing here and there.

Ironically, the only things I couldn't get to run in Yosemite are Compressor, MainStage, Waveburner, and Soundtrack Pro from the Logic Pro 9 bundle. Of over 500 plugins, bx_solo is the only one I have that caused a problem in DP.

Maybe due to MOTU driver updates, audio and MIDI configurations have worked first time and every time. Looks like MOTU has redefined Main Out as the first analog pair like everyone else. (rather than 9-10 in the older 828 setup)

The Yosemite interface appears cleaner and more readable to my eyes. Everything is smooth, quick, and stable. A few more tests, and I'll be ready to switch over to the new partition.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No crashes today. Fingers and eyes crossed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BobK

Post by BobK »

BobK wrote:My Metric Halo ULN-8 does not appear in the list of output devices when I option-click the sound icon in the menu bar. (It always did in Mavericks and earlier.)

It does appear in the Sound Preferences window. However, when I select it for sound output, audio from iTunes and Safari won't play back through it until I quit and re-launch them.

Has anyone else had these issues with their 3d-party audio interfaces?
EDIT:

This was TEMPORARILY resolved on both my 2009 Mac Pro and 2012 MacBook Pro by booting into Recovery Mode and running Repair Disk and Repair Permissions using Disk Utility.

After rebooting the computers, ULN-8 immediately appeared in menu bar and audio playback was rerouted to it without having to relaunch iTunes.

Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

bayswater wrote: Ironically, the only things I couldn't get to run in Yosemite are Compressor, MainStage, Waveburner, and Soundtrack Pro from the Logic Pro 9 bundle.
Oh...hopefully you mean Mainstage2. Anyway still sucks they have outdated some of those old products like Soundtrack Pro and Logic9. Some people still use that stuff.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dewdman42 wrote:
bayswater wrote: Ironically, the only things I couldn't get to run in Yosemite are Compressor, MainStage, Waveburner, and Soundtrack Pro from the Logic Pro 9 bundle.
Oh...hopefully you mean Mainstage2. Anyway still sucks they have outdated some of those old products like Soundtrack Pro and Logic9. Some people still use that stuff.
I guess it's V2. Whatever was bundled with Logic 9. I haven't really tried much to get these to run: I never used most of them, and MainStage confuses me even more than the Logic Environment. Logic 9 itself does run in Yosemite. Anyway, I've installed Logic X on Yosemite, so V9 and all it's debris is back on the shelf.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

You know what I find amazing? My Elemental Audio stuff still works under Yosemite with 32 Lives. That stuff must have been some really clean code.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
BobK

Post by BobK »

I restored my Mac Pro system drive to Mavericks - fortunately I had cloned it immediately before 'upgrading' to Yosemite.

All the problems I had Yosemite seem to have vanished.

So far, Metric Halo hasn't been able to reproduce my issues, and I haven't heard from MOTU. But the Yosemite problems were the same on my 2009 Mac Pro and 2012 MacBook Pro.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Thanks for all the feedback many of you have brought to this thread. I am going to stick with Mavericks for a while, its working great for me and there aren't really any compelling new features in Yosemite to make it work this kind of risk to change. I skipped Lion also and was very late into Mountain Lion for the same reason. I think a lot of people get over solid by the glamor and gloss of Apple announcements and using new "stuff", but the truth is Apple changes things architecturally far too often in the name of innovation, and that causes a lot of havoc with software running on it. The innovation is great, but in my experience you gotta wait and let the dust settle with their stuff if you are doing anything mission critical and ESPECIALLY in the music business where we deal with real time issues, hardware connectivity, etc.. we are serious power users compared to your average computer user. We use very sophisticated software.

In any case, when Lion came out, I fell for it, loaded it onto my system without a proper backup and and after about a month of wrestling around and reading reports from others wrestling around, finally went back to Snow Leopard. I did not miss much. Apple tried to make it painful by limiting my use of iCloud, but I got around it and *MY* most important apps continued to work flawlessly. Eventually after literally a couple of years, some software that I wanted to get was only available on Lion or newer. Mountain Lion came out and they fixed a lot of the problems from Lion. Eventually some of my most mission critical apps were either saying that they were for sure compatible with ML or other new apps I wanted to use required it. Only when I was very sure that all my mission critical apps would run with zero problemas did I consider upgrading to ML and thankfully Mavericks continued working with everything too.

I do think Yosemite has introduced some substantial changes and is perhaps a bit like Lion was. I'm waiting. when the coast is 100% clear then I'll upgrade. Mavericks is pretty great as it is....why rock the boat unless you have to.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32