Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:You know what I find amazing? My Elemental Audio stuff still works under Yosemite with 32 Lives. That stuff must have been some really clean code.

Phil
A lot of old stuff works. I wish I could get a couple of the Elementals working but the installers just don't work in newer OS versions.

As for whether there are "compelling" reasons to update to Y, no there aren't. But there are lots of little things related to how Audio and MIDI setups work, and stay in place. Channel labels appear properly in apps, and remain as edited. Audio apps can find the Main Outs on a 828 by default. And for the fist time in living memory, my BCF2000 does actually emulate MC and HUI properly, without changing Track Selector setting. Maybe this is as much to do with MOTU driver updates as OS X, but I like it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Hmm, that's very interesting. I'm away from my system to try the latest drivers but I'd like to know if those improvements are from MOTU's driver updates vs some kind of change to CoreAudio and CoreMidi by Apple. If Apple has changed CoreAudio that much in yosemite, that could explain some of the problems the Finale users are having.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Waveburner and Soundtrack Pro were orphaned when Logic Studio went to the App Store. The included loops with Soundtrack Pro had some potential copyright issues with the "royalty free" loops so Apple let it die–I don't know the details. I don't know why they let Waveburner wither.

MainStage and Compressor were split out at that time and current versions are available in the App Store.
As for whether there are "compelling" reasons to update to Y, no there aren't.
You are certainly entitled to that opinion. It all depends on what you are doing.

Others of us are happy that certain functionality promised in OS 10.7 finally works as advertised. I fall into that camp. Little of it has to do with audio except for the ability to send email with up to 5G attachments (which I have not yet tested).

If Google can stop trying to dominate the world long enough to make their apps work seamlessly in the Mac OS (starting with 64bit Chrome that can use Java 7&8), I would be happier but I am ok for now. And I do miss Dragon Dictate. Yosemite speech to text is very good and doesn't conflict with Finale 2014, however...
If Apple has changed CoreAudio that much in yosemite, that could explain some of the problems the Finale users are having.
Oh no. 2014 sucks and 2012 doesn't work. MakeMusic knows it is they. I have heard rumors of an update to Finale 2014 but can't say any more than that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK

Post by BobK »

I think I found the source of my Yosemite problems: an old Digi Core Audio driver.

AAACK!

Deleted it on my MacBook Pro, and the problems seem to be gone.

(Those problems were: Metric Halo ULN-8 not appearing in the menu bar device list, and iTunes and Safari not responding to changes in audio output device without restarting.)

Back story: Since my laptop is still under AppleCare, and one of the problems was iTunes not responding to changes in the output device, I called them for help.

Tried resetting SMC and PRAM, then booting into recovery mode and repairing the disk and permissions. No change.

Next, they suggested I create a test user account. The problems didn't show up, which I guess meant the source of the problem was in my user folder.

That was when I realized I'd been ignoring that old Digi driver - but that it was still on both my computers. The last version of Pro Tools I had was 9, which is pretty old now, so that seemed a likely candidate.

I'm still testing to see if the MAS crashes are resolved; so far, it looks good.

Apparently some change in Yosemite caused the Digi CoreAudio driver to cause problems (which it wasn't causing in Mavericks).
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

This is the second problem I've heard about from Avid with their drivers. There was another official announcement that was made a few days back from another music software company, I can't remember which one now, that said basically if you try to use some Avid driver with theirs under yosemite, will have problems.
BobK

Post by BobK »

dewdman42 wrote:This is the second problem I've heard about from Avid with their drivers. There was another official announcement that was made a few days back from another music software company, I can't remember which one now, that said basically if you try to use some Avid driver with theirs under yosemite, will have problems.
To be fair, this is an old driver. It hadn't occurred to me to update it. I kept PT9 around in case I needed to open/convert files, which is rare.

Coincidentally, though, I did use it last month to open a PT session and save as OMF or AAF to open in DP 8. PT9 barely worked on Mavericks, but I was able to get that done.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
As for whether there are "compelling" reasons to update to Y, no there aren't.
You are certainly entitled to that opinion. It all depends on what you are doing.
I'm talking only about getting work done with DP, which I assume is the focus of the thread and the forum. There are lots of other reasons people might want to install this, or any other piece of software.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:Ironically, the only things I couldn't get to run in Yosemite are Compressor, MainStage,
Actually, I have MainStage 2 running OK under Yosemite. There is a 32 bit bridge built in that is very finicky about certain plugs that may be your issue.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I might give MainStage another try, I didn't do anything more than launch it, but for now I've got everything I use working fine.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:One note for those getting new iPhones and other dvices using iOS8... the new iCloud Drive requires that all subscribing computers be running Yosemite. I was seriously bummed when I heard this, but the "clouds" quickly lifted when I discovered that you can still use iCloud under iOS8 and older versions of Mac OS if you DECLINE to switch to iCloud Drive when setting up your new iOS8 device.
I got a similar dialog after updating my MacPro to Yosemite. I declined immediately, and was still fearful I messed up all my calendar and contact syncing, which would have been devastating to me as all my iOS devices are running iOS 6.1. I have an old iPhone 4 and am not likely to update it unless it gives up the ghost.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've got iOS 6, iOS 7, OS X 10.6, 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10 running on various devices and syncing of calendars, notes, etc is still working OK. The new iCloud gets you sharing of other sorts of documents, doesn't it? If not, I don't know what the point of it is.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:I've got iOS 6, iOS 7, OS X 10.6, 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10 running on various devices and syncing of calendars, notes, etc is still working OK. The new iCloud gets you sharing of other sorts of documents, doesn't it? If not, I don't know what the point of it is.
I just remember getting some sort of dialog after installing Yosemite that made it sound like if I updated the the new iCloud, all my iDevices that weren't iOS 8 (aka ALL OF THEM) would no longer sync. I declined. The wording was confusing to me. I think I made a screen capture at the time but it's on another computer.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Probably right, if you move to the new version on OS X, or iOS8, you have to move to the new version on the other one too. This will be the 4th cloud service Apple has put out there? Maybe they'll stick with this one for a while.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This was the dialog I was presented with:

I wasn't sure what to make of it because it seemed to imply that I needed to upgraded the MacPro 4,1 I installed it on in order to keep using iCloud, but apparently that's just for "documents?" I really don't care about that. I'm using DropBox and Gobbler. What I didn't want was for my calendar and contacts syncing to break. So far it seems okay.

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

oh no, are you serious? I was about to update my iphone from iphon4 to 5s, which would have iOS8 on it. Are you saying if I do that I will not be able to sync my contacts on icloud again without Yosemite?

:banghead: