Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yosemite

Post by midilance »

Anyone out there have any apprehensions/issues about Yosemite (besides until after a couple of updates)?
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
Prime Mover

Re: Yosemite

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, want to know the verdict. I'm especially interested in (besides DP), B4II, 64Lives, Korg LC, and Waves. NI doesn't worry me much, they jump on current things if there's a problem.

I'll check the MainStage, Max/MSP, and Adobe boards for the other non-DP related programs I use.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bdr

Post by bdr »

MOTU Twitter is showing updated drivers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/motutech
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Anyone out there have any apprehensions
Nope
/issues about Yosemite
Not yet.

So far, everything is working.

A few of the promised features are going to have to wait until iOS 8.1 which, apparently, isn't quite ready. Frankly, I hope that I can turn some of them off but others look promising.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's difficult to know what to do. I'm not having any problems with 10.8.5 and don't see any breakthrough stuff in 10.10.

I don't have the confidence to update just for the sake of updating that I might have had in the past. My setup works perfectly, but like a Rube Goldberg apparatus, if I change one thing, it might collapse into a heap. And I'd probably have to reWUP all my Waves stuff to get it working with 10.10.0.

Aside from compatibility, I'll wait to see if there is a performance hit on my Macs, some of which are getting a bit old.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

^^^ I totally agree. My system is working almost perfectly right now running 10.8.5. I seem to always be involved in a project or an upcoming project, so I don't want to screw things up and cause a deadline disaster. I'm happy as I can be that I'm staying busy, but I'd like to test the waters and upgrade to the latest mac version when I get the time. I'll keep checking threads like this one to make sure everyone else's system is working before I upgrade.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't know about Waves.

For me, all of the incompatible kinks that caused crashing were rooted out with the OS 10.8.2 update.

There were some issues with 10.9.1 and DP 8.06 but those were solved by relaxing the Mavericks security protocols and reinstalling DP.

It's probable that the Izotope Uninstallers don't work when upgrading but the workaround and manual uninstall is very easy. Like DP, not an issue after 10.9.1.

Then there was GMail and Yahoo! Mail, again 10.9.0/1 and now resolved.

Lots of print driver permissions to be repaired. All clear after the first pass.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A few things aren't quite ready for prime time:

Updates for iPhoto, Aperture and iBooks Author are announced but not available yet. Similar to the initial Mavericks release so I expect that to be fixed in a day or two.

iOS 8.1 isn't ready and is required for certain features to work cross-device.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just found the iPhoto update. I intend on taking a test drive on a test partition, but will not jump in for a good while.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Very happy at 8.5. Haven't crashed once since upgrading to DP 8.07.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

On CPU efficiency, here's the first thing I've come across (quoted from Ars Technica). This is the sort of thing -- OS changes that hasten the obsolescence of the hardware like iOS8 -- that I hoped to avoid.

"... toolbars and sidebars subvert their plain gray coloring by allowing other content to leak through. Apple calls this new effect “vibrancy."
"Vibrancy is used throughout the OS, including in nearly every transient or otherwise “layered” interface element"
"It’s surprising to see such dramatic appearance changes applied by default to third-party applications, but it does show how committed Apple is to this look."
"These visual effects aren’t free; they cost CPU and GPU cycles each time the foreground or background changes."
"Given Apple’s recent focus on energy saving in Mavericks, it’s a bit strange to see Yosemite lean so heavily on a dynamic effect like vibrancy."

There is no mention of a preference to turn this off.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I've been running it this evening. The look is remarkable, it runs very smooth and fast, and I haven't found a single app on my machine that doesn't run. I did have to download some new iLok software, but that was a cinch. So far, I like it a lot and I'm looking forward to even tighter integration of my Mac and iOS devices.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:I've been running it this evening. The look is remarkable, it runs very smooth and fast, and I haven't found a single app on my machine that doesn't run. I did have to download some new iLok software, but that was a cinch. So far, I like it a lot and I'm looking forward to even tighter integration of my Mac and iOS devices.
Sums it up for me.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I have to say that I went ahead and took the plunge and installed Yosemite on my studio machine: MacPro 4,1, 24GB and just loaded a couple of DP 8.07 projects and must report that I'm pretty amazed it's working so well. Even the legacy stuff. AlphaTrack is working thanks to the new 64-bit bundle and 32 Lives is still working it's magic.

I thought I had an issue with Liquid Mix that needs 32 Lives to run, but the problem was somehow (might hae happened during the install) "Prevent App Nap" on the Liquid Mix app got unchecked. Setting it back to prevent App Nap makes it work just fine... meters on the hardware box and everything. I'm astounded. The plug itself of course must be set to run in realtime.

In some strange way, DP 8.07 running in 64-bit feels better with Yosemite than it did with Mavericks. This is all still very preliminary. What's funny is while I'm typing this in Firefox, I can see DP's processing meeter spike into the red every 20 seconds or so, then resuming bouncing around at about 40% for this project. But I think that's just because it's sitting idle in stop as a background app right now.

Overall, I'm pleased.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Addendum: I think the translucent menu bar at the top of Safari that shows whatever's underneath it is dumb and a waste of processing cycles (even if on the GPU?). Dumb.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!