Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Gravity Jim wrote:Shooshie, given the nature and frequency of your posts on OSX problems recently, and the large number of "that isn't happening here" replies, I think it may be time to stop expecting a fix from Apple and to begin investigating the possibility that your system needs a colonic.

If it were me, I would scrape the drives and reinstall everything.
And earlier:
Shooshie wrote:
I'm still not sure what's going on with my system. I don't think it is normal enough to use as a comparison with anyone else's. It's been kind of sick lately. So, I may not be contributing to that Yosemite Repair thread very often, at least until I figure out what to do about mine.
So I think he probably knows that. Still, hope is a good thing.

"It may be the only thing." ~ Red in Shawshank Redemption

ps - Been there a few years ago with a major permissions problem. I thought I knew better than the system and changed a whole bunch of permissions at once. Big mistake.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Finale, OTOH, is completely dead. No playback (crash) in F2012 and no loading of most movies in F2014. It's officially a doorstop.
Mike, the playback crash in F2012 is in the human playback (HP) section of the program. According to MakeMusic, turning off HP solves the problem. When I checked out Finale under Yosemite, I had HP turned off so I didn't see the problem. I turned it on and I can confirm the crash that you're seeing. I guess I can no longer report everything working fine here. :(

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
adriano

Post by adriano »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
bayswater wrote:The latest version of Menu Meters 1.7 from May 2014 won't work. Yosemite will not let it be placed in the menu bar. Is there a reasonable alternative that works with Y?
I'm on ver 1.6 and it's working.
MenuMeters 1.8 for 10.4 -10.10 is available today.

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/me ... index.html

1.8 - October 2014
[FEATURE] Support OS X 10.10 Yosemite dark menubar.
[BUG] Fix menu updates on 10.10 Yosemite.
[BUG] Fix update of CPU meter preferences when disk meter is unloaded.
[LOCALE] Reintroduce German localization. Thanks to David Andel.
[LOCALE] Reintroduce Japanese localization. Thanks to motchy.

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
MIDI Life Crisis

Phil O wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Finale, OTOH, is completely dead. No playback (crash) in F2012 and no loading of most movies in F2014. It's officially a doorstop.
Mike, the playback crash in F2012 is in the human playback (HP) section of the program. According to MakeMusic, turning off HP solves the problem. When I checked out Finale under Yosemite, I had HP turned off so I didn't see the problem. I turned it on and I can confirm the crash that you're seeing. I guess I can no longer report everything working fine here. :(

Phil
I also had it turned off (hate it) and toggled it. Now it's playing back but I can't trust it. Not sure what to do about that. I'm considering running my Mac in PC mode and using the PC version. I've never done that but it would make access to my usual stuff less painful than a PC laptop. I do need the full, 2-screen real estate for Finale stuff.

Funny how Finale runs better on a PC and DP runs better on a Mac.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

adriano wrote:
MenuMeters 1.8 for 10.4 -10.10 is available today.

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/me ... index.html
Thanks. Installed and trying the dark menu for the first time. Only a little less light in my eyes, but it'll get me used to it if/when I have to use a PC for Finale.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mongoose wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Just to be clear, your aliases have custom icons? And they are showing up?
You can see what's happening in the picture in my last post.
Yep, I am able to give aliases custom icons on the desktop. Here's the caveat: I almost never use aliases, so I had to make some on the spot to test it. Maybe this is something happening over time to them, or that only happens to ones left over from a previous OS? Dunno. Weird problem; I hope you can figure it out.
My experience exactly. A good example is the folder for Office 2008 which looks like this:

I made an alias, dragged it onto the desktop and it appears correctly with the little arrow indicating that it is an alias. I have some that I (or my kids) made back in OS 9 when there were a ton of apps you could use - all the aliases are sitting on my desktop (for now - I have no need of them there).

Have you tried resolving the alias? Right-click and then click on Show Original to see if it does.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

adriano wrote:MenuMeters 1.8 for 10.4 -10.10 is available today.
Bingo! Thanks!
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:ps - Been there a few years ago with a major permissions problem. I thought I knew better than the system and changed a whole bunch of permissions at once. Big mistake.
Yep, did that with my wife's MBP. Even with a bad boy OWC SSD, takes up to two minutes to display a folder or a path in the finder.

Only reason we changed anything was because Mavericks made it difficult or impossible to communicate with the other Macs on our network, because they changed something fundamental.. for the sake of change, of course!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
JimMcShane

Post by JimMcShane »

mikehalloran wrote:I have no problem with MasterWriter 2 after I installed the Java 6 Run Time that I linked earlier. Unfortunately, I can't test audio support since I have never used that function. Audio was broken in Mavericks for awhile then it came back.

Older MW 2 versions do not update properly if too out of date. My build is 2.0.0.56 (R24). If your build is older, deactivate the license, download the latest build as a trial if you can, install and re-activate the license.
Per response from Masterwriter about their 2.0 with Yosemite and the Audio section on 10/20/14 see below.

Jim,

Our programmers have indicated that it will work if you install the earlier Java, however, they have indicated that the audio page is having an issue. They are looking into this and I am waiting for further info. I will keep you posted when I hear back from them.

Thanks,

Matt DeVorzon
MasterWriter Inc.
Dual 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/4. GB RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, MOTU MIDI express, slew of plugins, Roland Fantom XR, Motif Rack ES, Old Triton
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:Shooshie, given the nature and frequency of your posts on OSX problems recently, and the large number of "that isn't happening here" replies, I think it may be time to stop expecting a fix from Apple and to begin investigating the possibility that your system needs a colonic.

I'm sure that's coming up soon. It's a huge job. Wayyyy more than what I want to put into it right now, but the handwriting is on the wall; this is local, not universal. The only fix for it's going to be me.

But I had to make sure first. The thing is, the various Mac forums actually have a lot of reference to these very problems. I'm not alone, but neither I nor anyone else out there seems to have any idea what caused them, much less a cure.

The root of the alias problem appears to be a design change by Apple, but obviously it's not solely responsible for it. I've been hoping that it was something that a future OS X version would fix. The "accidental cure" has happened several times over the years. Wait long enough and the problem would gradually disappear as things got replaced. But this time it has to be due to some 3rd party something in the libraries, something that doesn't go away, and something that refuses to stand up and identify itself when I go calling roll. So, I'm going to have to take Gravity Jim's advice and scrape the drive clean.

When it's this kind of problem, it's just so much work to fix, because you literally can't copy anything over from the previous OS libraries. You can't restore from backups or any of that stuff. That means I have to reauthorize EVERY piece of software. And THAT means that I'm going to lose some long-time favorites, most likely. It'll take weeks to fix. The only saving grace is that I meticulously archive my installers and my serial numbers and all the info required to start over. It should all work if the installers still work... otherwise, it's back to the websites, downloading... but you know the drill.

So, I think I've got the evidence I need, now, and I appreciate you guys putting up with my searching. As I said, I had to know for sure. Sorry for dragging you guys through it, though I figure with what I quietly put up in helping out with some of the problems I see around this place, I've surely got some credit built up here, so I'm not exactly remorseful about putting you through my verification process. But I'm done with the testing phase now. You all can go back to more exciting developments. I'll spring for champagne when I'm done with the whole thing. [hehehe... everyone knows a job like this is never done! :mrgreen: ]

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:

I'm sure that's coming up soon. It's a huge job.
I started doing this two days ago. My working partition is from 10.6.2. If I had nothing else to do it would take several days. And it's boring. A lot of time spent waiting for downloads and installs, and answering the same security questions over and over. The good news is everything so far it working, and where it hasn't first time, someone here has identified a solution.

One thing I found is nothing, including installers, comes to the front the first time it's launched.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

mmmkay I am SO not doing this to my Mac Pro until a 10.10.1 and an "all clear" from this forum...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

jloeb wrote:mmmkay I am SO not doing this to my Mac Pro until a 10.10.1 and an "all clear" from this forum...
I have the same idea, but by time I have everything installed the first beta for 10.11 will be out.
beautypill

Post by beautypill »

Hey! Some good news from me: It worked! I just restored my Mac from a time capsule backup. And it rolled back to before I downloaded the dreaded OSX Yosemite. Yes! A reprieve!

I'm back safely in the realm of Mavericks.

Now my plan is to wait at least a year or so until there's a stable .1 release. Which is what I should have done in the first place!

- c
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

beautypill wrote:Hey! Some good news from me: It worked! I just restored my Mac from a time capsule backup. And it rolled back to before I downloaded the dreaded OSX Yosemite. Yes! A reprieve!

I'm back safely in the realm of Mavericks.

Now my plan is to wait at least a year or so until there's a stable .1 release. Which is what I should have done in the first place!

- c
Hey Beauty, we're in the same boat! I was hoping that Y was the "every other" theory about Mac OS- where every other upgrade was great, and the rest suck. Snow Leopard, excellent- Lion, not so much, Mountain Lion, rocking- Mavericks, not so much, etc.

I hoped Yosemite would be that "every other." Might be in the future, but for now..

Honestly guys, I wish I hadn't strayed from Mountain Lion in the first place. That OS was solid!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.