Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite

Post by bayswater »

Am I right in thinking that Time Machine has changed? My ML partition created a TM file that was an image file on my backup drive. The Yosemite partition version of TM added to this backup, but the whole thing changed to set of conventional folders for each backup date and time. Both partitions can see this backup set and display it in the expected way.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Since Soundflower and Jack (like Trim Enabler) work by going around the Apple Toolkit, it will be interesting to see if Yosemite compliant versions can be developed.

Till then, you might try the Terminal command I posted earlier to see if that can bring back Jack, Soundflower and Finale 2012. If successful, it will have to be rerun every OS update. Since none of those has a kext that prevents booting in Yosemite (unlike Trim Enabler), there's no harm in trying. To restore kext checking, clear the NV RAM (PRAM), reinstall Yosemite or wait for the next OS update.
Just to make sure I understand, does that Terminal command turn off all the kext checking at Startup?
Yes. But it's temporary. I always check kexts before installing a major update. ML broke a few of them. Apple put in a new security feature for Kexts. Most of them shouldn't be a problem though.

I would remove old unused kexts and then turn off TRIM if you're using Trim Enabler. Then install Yosemite. I do everything with terminal commands these days. Kexts are like the old Extensions in Classic MacOS. I'd re-enable TRIM with the command line. That is if there are no further issues. I have yet to install Yosemite.

Anyway, yes is the answer to your question.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
JimMcShane

Post by JimMcShane »

Anybody who has Masterwriter 2.0 that upgraded to Yosemite. I installed Java SE and the app works fine EXCEPT for the audio part. When I click an the audio section for a song I get the error message asking if quicktime is installed and something about a subaudio something. Any similar errors for anybody else?

Thanks!
Dual 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/4. GB RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, MOTU MIDI express, slew of plugins, Roland Fantom XR, Motif Rack ES, Old Triton
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Now SoundFlower is working in Yosemite. I guess I missed something yesterday when I first installed it. Happy Days.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The latest version of Menu Meters 1.7 from May 2014 won't work. Yosemite will not let it be placed in the menu bar. Is there a reasonable alternative that works with Y?
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Everything working perfectly with Yosemite on my end with my Duet 2 and my 8pre's!
I'm really digging Yosemite!
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:The latest version of Menu Meters 1.7 from May 2014 won't work. Yosemite will not let it be placed in the menu bar. Is there a reasonable alternative that works with Y?
I keep Activity Monitor, the CPU meter and CPU History open in its own desktop. With my trackpad, Magic Mouse or control arrow key I can quickly gesture and look at that desktop, see a bunch of info, and quickly get back. I found that a lot more sensible than menu meters. That's just me though.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'll look into that nightwatch. Meanwhile, iStat Menus looks like a possibility.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:The latest version of Menu Meters 1.7 from May 2014 won't work. Yosemite will not let it be placed in the menu bar. Is there a reasonable alternative that works with Y?
Do you still have the installer for MM 1.6? I don't know if it would let you install it or not, but that's the version I have, and it's working in Y. All options appear to be available.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:Another thing I really like is the Finder is much faster than the sluggish Mavericks Finder. Snappy even.
I can confirm this. When the Finder is working, it's much faster. Too soon to explain exactly how or why, but I'll report back when I know something. Of course, I'm dealing with the problem of the Finder hanging. I'm not sure what causes it to crash, but it seems to be happening less. Nevertheless, it still happens. I sure wish I could figure out why. I'll study logs again. I'd given up finding the source in the logs, because there just didn't seem to be a pattern. There are many things that show up prior to a hang, but they also show up thousands of other times.There's nothing to indicate that one or more may be involved in the problem. Maybe in Yosemite their logging practices will have changed, and I'll find something. (yeah, I know; very doubtful that they've changed their logging.

But the Finder DEFINITELY runs faster.

I'm still hacked off that folder custom icons do not display on the desktop. They DO display inside another folder, just not on the desktop. Get Info, and you'll see the icon in the info panel, but... not on the desktop. This was probably a move by Jonny Ive to make the Desktop conform to their design, since it's the most visible part of any display. I don't like that word "conform," at least not when it comes to my options as a user, so this is a black mark against Apple, IMO. This is the company that always told us things like "think different." Apparently that now means "think differently than you used to."

I'm also getting very weary of the Quicklook full-screen slide show bug. Probably not a bug, but again some sort of "feature." In short, it won't magnify small images (except for the first one) to full-screen unless you either hold down the OPTION key the whole time, or go through a slightly cumbersome routine each time you start a show:
  • 1) Select the pictures you want,
    2) Open Quicklook with Spacebar only or Command-Y (no OPTION key)
    3) Increase the size of the picture in any direction by any amount
    4) Click the full-screen arrows (previously at the top-right, now at the top left of the window in Yosemite)
    5) Once the full-screen slide show is open, hit Spacebar to play/pause.
It's been this way since the first of Mavericks. Why would they not fix this? Doesn't everyone use Quicklook for slide shows? Of course, just try reporting something like this to Apple. If you think MOTU is difficult to reach, and generally unresponsive, they are positively sociable compared to Apple, which has become a fortress of user-free bliss for the people who work there.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'll try V1.6. But it looks like its something you can keep in place with an upgrade, but not something you can install anew. Like Elemental plugins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:I'll try V1.6. But it looks like its something you can keep in place with an upgrade, but not something you can install anew. Like Elemental plugins.
That's what I was kind of afraid of. On the positive side, MenuMeters seems to get updated periodically. Maybe they'll put out a Y update.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Shooshie wrote:[Of course, just try reporting something like this to Apple. If you think MOTU is difficult to reach, and generally unresponsive, they are positively sociable compared to Apple, which has become a fortress of user-free bliss for the people who work there.

Shooshie
When I was at Apple, in 1996, I worked the highest level of tech support. We only handled servers. enterprise and other advanced clients. Apple Enginerres would never talk to us, return our emails, nothing. We had many good suggestions as we had our pulse on what was trending and what was about to go wrong. If they only would have taken us seriously so many problems could have been avoided and problems could have been solved so much faster.

Steve

FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Shooshie wrote: Doesn't everyone use Quicklook for slide shows?
Don't think I have ever done that. So, no. ;)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have no problem with MasterWriter 2 after I installed the Java 6 Run Time that I linked earlier. Unfortunately, I can't test audio support since I have never used that function. Audio was broken in Mavericks for awhile then it came back.

Older MW 2 versions do not update properly if too out of date. My build is 2.0.0.56 (R24). If your build is older, deactivate the license, download the latest build as a trial if you can, install and re-activate the license.

I am updating my wife's 2011 iMac without disabling Kext checking.

Microsoft Office 2008, FileMaker Pro 11.04, Roxio EZ VHS to DVD Capture, Photoshop Elements 6.0, FinancesOSX 2.3a, Final Draft 8.0.3.1, GEDitCOM II all work.

Most MarinerSoft apps work. Write has limited functionality. MacJournal crashed while updating--reopening showed the latest version correctly installed. Montage and Contour are fine as is StoryMill 4.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro