Yosemite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yosemite

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have an iPhone 5s in the current iOS and Yosemite and syncing is fine. I don't use the iCloud disk. It is still quite vulnerable. Look for news from China this past week.

I'm also enjoying the luxury of getting both text and iMessages on my Mac and my phone.

There's little I don't like about Yosemite since i seem to have passed the stage of DP crashes. Bye-bye Waves. (Waves, bye-bye.)

There are still issues in other apps mostly related to window behavior. No big deal. And once the new version of Finale is released I'll pretty much be back to not thinking about what's going on in the machine and get back to just using it as a tool. At least until next year.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Re: Yosemite

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:There are still issues in other apps mostly related to window behavior. No big deal.
What are you seeing? Still using xtrafinder? I got rid of it because Finder now does many of the same things, but I thought I was seeing problems with closing and resizing window while it was there.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Still using xtrafinder and just left it on. Quicken windows don't dick to the top and leave a space. Acrobat windows are acting differently, but hard to pin down specifics. Some apps like Safari don't remember they're in full screen. DP can't come out of full screen and never did respond to os commands to enter or leave that condition. Some Quickeys triggers are not doing anything until i quit Quickeys and relaunch.

Again, nothing crucial to my workflow when composing or editing. I think after a few more updates Yosemite will be the defacto os on all modern macs. The encryption of data is no small consideration. Not that I've got all that much to hide, still, i do value my privacy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote: What are you seeing? Still using xtrafinder? I got rid of it because Finder now does many of the same things, but I thought I was seeing problems with closing and resizing window while it was there.
The Yosemite Finder window size is driving me nuts. Sometimes it remembers the window size the last time I used it, and other times I have to keep resizing it. No rhyme or reason. I wonder if it is related to the WindowServer issues.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

That's where xtrafinder comes in.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

oh no, are you serious? I was about to update my iphone from iphon4 to 5s, which would have iOS8 on it. Are you saying if I do that I will not be able to sync my contacts on icloud again without Yosemite?
As long as you don't upgrade to iCloud Disk, everything works fine with older versions of iOS and Mac OS.

Note that ANY device you upgrade to iOS8 or Yosemite will offer you the option of upgrading to iCloud Disk, and if you say OK, you just wiped out synching with all devices not running iOS8 or Yosemite.
MIDI Life Crisis

HCMarkus wrote: Note that ANY device you upgrade to iOS8 or Yosemite will offer you the option of upgrading to iCloud Disk, and if you say OK, you just wiped out synching with all devices not running iOS8 or Yosemite.
Ouchy! I still use my ver 1 iPad for movie playback at the "real" piano in the living room but also for travel and general stuff like iTunes sharing in various places. If I lost that I'd be seriously inconvenienced and I doubt my wife would let me take her new iPad mini. Besides, I like that old clunker!

I managed to send my first text message to a friend's Galaxy (I always want to add a "500" to that name). That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it actually is. Syncing messages to iCloud is very convenient. A little wonky to set up, but it works in iOS 8.01 and Yosemite.

For all the initial headaches, it's those little tweaks to the OS-iOS that grow on me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm also enjoying the luxury of getting both text and iMessages on my Mac and my phone
Yes. It syncs a bit more tightly when you go to iOS 8.1 as I found out. Wading through preferences to turn some features off, I don't need every device I own ringing when a phone call comes in.

HCMarkus wrote:
Note that ANY device you upgrade to iOS8 or Yosemite will offer you the option of upgrading to iCloud Disk, and if you say OK, you just wiped out synching with all devices not running iOS8 or Yosemite.

That's what they say.
As long as you don't upgrade to iCloud Disk, everything works fine with older versions of iOS and Mac OS.
There's a nice, sweeping statement. It is not correct, however. See below.
Ouchy! I still use my ver 1 iPad for movie playback at the "real" piano in the living room but also for travel and general stuff like iTunes sharing in various places. If I lost that I'd be seriously inconvenienced and I doubt my wife would let me take her new iPad mini. Besides, I like that old clunker!
My iPad 1 is forever locked in iOS 5. As my iPad Air and my iPhone 5S came installed with iOS 7, a lot of things no longer sync'd among my devices already. Many things stopped syncing properly between my iPad 1 and my iMac during OS 10.6.

Pages started syncing again in OS 10.8.2 and iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S. Then came Mavericks and iOS 7.

Mavericks and that version of Pages synced with my iOS 7 devices but not my iOS 5 iPad. Fortunately, Mavericks ran both versions of Pages.

I wish I could tell you how my iPad 1 is working with my Mac and iOS 8.1 devices. Unfortunately, I received some "help" moving a few things in my office and no one seems to know where my iPad 1 is at the moment.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

I only sync calendars, contacts and messages and my ipad 1 is doing fine with all that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I only sync calendars, contacts and messages and my ipad 1 is doing fine with all that.
I noticed that still worked on mine, too. Since iTunes syncs through the App/iTunes store, I don't think it is should be an issue. And as soon as my wife remembers whee she put mine, I'll be able to tell.

Now that my other devices sync just fine, I use my iPad 1 less than I used to.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just found a MAJOR issue with Yosemite that will preclude me from using it on my MacBook for live shows:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=58618
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
prana66

Post by prana66 »

Hello, newbie here so forgive me. Just purchased a used DP7( legally) and just found out it will not run on Yosemite? Thoughts...advice would be appreciated.
MIDI Life Crisis

Upgrade DP or downgrade the OS. No other alternatives comes to mind.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

prana66 wrote:Hello, newbie here so forgive me. Just purchased a used DP7( legally) and just found out it will not run on Yosemite? Thoughts...advice would be appreciated.
DP 7.24 and Yosemite is working fine for me.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

prana66 wrote:Hello, newbie here so forgive me. Just purchased a used DP7( legally) and just found out it will not run on Yosemite? Thoughts...advice would be appreciated.
It is working fine on my iMac i7.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31