DP Chunks and Multi Reel Films - best practices

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by emjayinla »

Greetings,

I'm still kind of new with DP after years of Logic. I've been working with chunks and Vracks and love it with a single reel feature. I used the chunks option to assign the same film to all chunks

Now I've got a project that is split into 5 separate reels. So what do people generally do - separate projects for separate reels? All one project and duplicate chunks as necessary? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Cheers.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In general, if the rest of the team is doing work in reels I'll also do a separate DP project per reel. It'll also make the project more manageable. There are always exceptions, but in general that seems to work out best.

If you're also delivering sfx or mixing the audio, you'll probably need a separate project to merge the final mixes from the separate reels for delivery.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
OLB

Re: DP Chunks and Multi Reel Films - best practices

Post by OLB »

A couple of days ago Brian Ralston posted these two great videos about this exact question.

Everybody has its own ways of working but it's great to see how other do it their way.
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
frankf

Post by frankf »

+1 to what MLC said

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by emjayinla »

Thanks for the suggestions and the vid links. Very helpful

Cheers
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Thanks Brian!
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com