RAID info needed!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RAID info needed!

Post by James Steele »

Okay... ordered this card:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Highpoin ... RRAID2722/

Specs of the card:
• RAID level 0, 1, 5, 10, 50 and JBOD
• Multiple RAID Support
• BIOS Boot to RAID with point-to-point connectivity or through port multiplier
• Quick, Background or Foreground Initialization
I may post more info a bit later looking for some suggestions on how to best utilize the RAID. I want to use it for Final Cut Pro X projects and maybe DP projects as well. Also I suppose I could move my sample library a drive or pair of drives in the RAID enclosure. I guess since they drives connect to a PCIe card they could get more bandwidth than connected on the internal SATA bus, but then not sure if that's even a factor with conventional drives? Of course, maybe if I pair a couple drives up, that would make a difference.

I'm pretty sure I have 7 drives in the enclosure. I'm hoping to put together SOME kind of plan beforehand and decide whether I want redundancy, etc. It could be rather complicated.

By the way... I hadn't posted this link before because there had only been "1 available" for a while and I didn't have the $$$ for it until today and it was $60 less than anywhere else I found online. Still, it sat there for a while so it's probably close to an EOL product. If I did not get the drive enclosure free with 7 drives free, I might not be buying a card like this.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:Okay... ordered this card:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Highpoin ... RRAID2722/

Specs of the card:
• RAID level 0, 1, 5, 10, 50 and JBOD
• Multiple RAID Support
• BIOS Boot to RAID with point-to-point connectivity or through port multiplier
• Quick, Background or Foreground Initialization
... I guess since they drives connect to a PCIe card they could get more bandwidth than connected on the internal SATA bus, but then not sure if that's even a factor with conventional drives?

Of course, maybe if I pair a couple drives up, that would make a difference...
It all depends on the type of RAID and the number of drives being used. Yes, it's definitely a factor.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Right. I'm pretty sure there are 7 1TB drives in there. Just trying to figure out how to allocate them and what kind of RAID to use.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, my Highpoint RocketRaid 2722 card arrived today from OWC and so far it's been a disappointment. I dutifully went the the website, got all the documentation and current driver and software installers and I'm stuck. I've run the latest driver installer and verified that the appropriate kext IS there:

However, it plainly is not loading. Disk Utility does not show the drives in the connected enclosure and System Report shows no driver loaded for the card in Slot 2 (which should appear by name if the driver loads).

I tried opening up a ticket on Highpoint's web support system, but my serial number didn't work, so I called OWC, got that straightened out and the OWC tech support guy gave me Highpoint's phone number. When you choose "tech support" for the menu, it informs they only give web-based support. So kudos to companies like MOTU that still answer the phone.

Highpoint's tech support is supposed to be notoriously bad, so I wonder if I will ever get this going frankly. I'm not an expert at this stuff and the RAID enclosure is a mystery to me, but was given to me by someone very savvy with computers, so I think it should be kosher. Furthermore, a PCI card driver should just load if the card is present, regardless of whether anything is attached anyway, yes?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

UPDATE!!! OWC SENT ME THE WRONG CARD?!!

I received a reply from Highpoint Tech Support. They told me I had a Rocket2722 instead of RocketRAID 2722... I checked my invoice from OWC... I BOUGHT a RocketRAID 2722... that's what the invoice says. However, I just checked the box of the card they sent me and it's a Rocket2722. OWC customer support is now closed. Supposedly I got the last card they had at that price! Grrrr!!!!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... the CORRECT card arrived today. I had a question:

I have a 7 drive array formatted as RAID 5. I figured I'd use all the drives for maximum speed. After you've created the array with the High Point web-based app, you still have to initialize this "virtual disk" with Disk Utility. I'm wondering if there's any reason I can't just create partitions on this 6TB array, like:

DP Projects
Sample Libraries
FCPX Projects

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hip hip... array! Oh...

Man, this stuff is Greek to me. Sorry James. Carry on, brother.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here