Same Logic feature on DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
gsantiago
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Same Logic feature on DP?

Post by gsantiago »

Hey guys, I'm on DP trial mode now. Testing a possible switch from Logic X.
So far it has exceeded my expectations. And I found it very logic-friendly too.
I'm trying to mirror my big orchestra template I have in Logic into DP (I use VEPro5 - Master/Slave systems).
Here's my question, it's about "routing":
In my template, I have 4 1st Violin Tracks from LASS (First Chair, 1st Vlns A, 1st Vlns B, 1st Vlns C). They are MIDI tracks, connected to the slave using VEPRO5 etc etc (all my string section has a similar scheme)
In Logic, in order to avoid loading the Full 1st Vln patch (for saving resources sake), I use the environment to route these 4 tracks to a 5th track with the sum of the violins together (which equals sonically to the full patch) and that's the track I usually record into, unless I want some specific dividi etc etc.
So how can I achieve a similar solution on DP?
Thanks in advance!
Dwetmaster

Re: Same Logic feature on DP?

Post by Dwetmaster »

Look up the manual for MIDI devices groups. It allows MIDI multi routing and such. Hope it can help you.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
gsantiago

Post by gsantiago »

Will do, thanks!
gsantiago

Post by gsantiago »

That's EXACTLY what I was trying to do!
Thank you very much!
PS: On a side note, it might sound stupid but how do you move from a track to another one in DP? In logic you can arrow down/up in order to move from an armed track to the one below it or above it. Not working on DP. How is it done over here?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You didn't ask for all this, but here are a bunch of commands you would probably benefit from, including the one you asked for, which I preceded with a ➡️.

First of all, from the DP Tips Sheet, some Arrow Key shortcuts...Keyboard Shortcuts utilizing arrow keys in Tracks Overview Window
Select a MIDI track in the Tracks Overview Window, and:
  • SHIFT + Arrow Keys Up/Down - cycle through Output devices
    OPTION + Arrow Keys Up/Down - cycle through channels of current Output Device

Select ANY track in the Tracks Overview Window, and:
    Arrow Keys Up/Down - Record enable next or previous track
    ➡️ SHIFT-OPTION + Arrow Keys Up/Down - Move selection up or down one track. (works for entire track or for partial selections, such as a measure or beat or fraction thereof).
    COMMAND-SHIFT + Arrow Keys Up/Down - Expand selection by one track. (works for entire track or for partial selections, such as a measure or beat or fraction thereof).
    COMMAND-Arrow Keys Right/Left - Zoom tracks in or out.
    COMMAND-OPTION-Arrow Keys Right/Left - Zoom to maximum/minimum extreme
    COMMAND-SHIFT-Arrow Keys Right/Left - Move insertion point to next barline

Select MIDI or Audio data in Tracks Overview Window and:
    Arrow Keys Right/Left - Move data by one horizontal unit (one bar, or subdivision of bar, or group of bars, depending on zoom. In other words, from one column to the next, whatever zoom value that may currently be.)

Select an Audio Track in the Tracks Overview Window, and:
    CONTROL-SHIFT + Arrow Keys Up/Down - increase or decrease byte volume by .5 dB.

Toolbar Keyboard Bindings:
Moving Tracks Up or Down
Select a track or multiple tracks:
  • CONTROL-PageUp — Move track up by one slot.
    CONTROL-PageDown — Move track down by one slot.
    CONTROL-HOME — Moves selected track(s) to top of the list
    CONTROL-END — Move selected track(s) to bottom of the list
    CONTROL-OPTION-HOME — Moves multiple tracks to be together.

Navigating With Markers:
  • Go to the markers by typing SHIFT-CONTROL-M.
    Go to the next marker by typing SHIFT-CONTROL-PERIOD. (right arrowhead)
    Go to the previous marker by typing SHIFT-CONTROL-COMMA. (left arrowhead)
Zooming:
  • Mini-Menu Zooms:
    • COMMAND-SHIFT-N - Image, Default (Normal) zoom.
      COMMAND-ARROWKEYS - Image, Image, Zooms range IN and OUT (respectively) in edit windows, doubling bars with each command.
      OPTION-COMMAND-RIGHT-ARROWKEY - Image, Zoom all the way in.
      OPTION-COMMAND-LEFT ARROW - Image. Zooms to a little further out than “Normal.” It is supposed to zoom ALL the way out, but as of DP 8.06, it does not. This may be a bug or misunderstood command. (Misunderstood by recent programmers.)
      OPTION-COMMAND-UP & DOWN ARROWS - Image Image, Zooms tracks vertically In and Out, respectively, where applicable.
      Custom Zooms:
      • COMMAND-SHIFT-OPTION-1 (or 2 or 3) - Image, Sets first of three custom zoom levels.
        COMMAND-OPTION-1 (or 2 or 3) - Image, Invoke Custom Zoom 1 (or 2 or 3)
      Three of the most useful zooms:
      • Zoom to fit the selection:
        • COMMAND-OPTION-S - Image, Whatever you have selected will zoom to full screen. (horizontal only)
        Cycle through your past zooms:
        • COMMAND-[ - Image , Goes Backward through previous zooms.
          COMMAND-] - Image, Goes Forward through previous zooms.
    Zoom Tool:
    • OPTION key will invoke the zoom tool. Click to zoom in. Within the note-section of MIDI edit window it zooms range and vertical. Within time ruler, it just zooms range.
      OPTION-SHIFT will reverse the zoom tool. Click to zoom out. Does not work in time ruler, but works in the note area of the edit window.
    Great Timeline Zoom:
    • CONTROL-DRAG Up & Down Cursor - Zooms continuously with cursor at center. This is one of the most powerful zooms in DP.
Once more, I highly recommend the DP Tips Sheet. Not every tip is applicable to any one person, and many of the tips are way out of date. But I guarantee there is something there that will change the way you work.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

PS: It occurs to me that the very command you asked for, moving the selection up or down a track within a list, may not be assigned the command I gave it in this description:
  • ➡️ SHIFT-OPTION + Arrow Keys Up/Down - Move selection up or down one track. (works for entire track or for partial selections, such as a measure or beat or fraction thereof).
In that case, you may have to assign it yourself. Go to the Command Window (type SHIFT-L), and look up "Move selection Up" You will see it in the list, along with Move Selection Down. Type the command "SHIFT-OPTION-UpArrow" for moving it up, and "SHIFT-OPTION-Down Arrow" for Move Selection Down.

It may ask you if you're sure you want to use that command, because it's already being used for something else. Make a note of that other thing, and later you can ask one of us how important it is to have a command for it. Most likely, the move command will be more important to you, so you can go ahead and remove that command from the default, or reassign it to another command.

Or just use any command you want.

And finally, there is a post about working with selections in MIDI, especially converting event selections (notes) into range selections (to get the notes AND associated controllers, such as Breath Control or Expression) all from the keyboard, all very quickly, which you'll find on page 2 of the DP Tips Sheet thread. Here's a link to Working With Selections in MIDI.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
gsantiago

Post by gsantiago »

That's the complete package on shortcuts! Thank you very much!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

gsantiago wrote:That's the complete package on shortcuts! Thank you very much!
Oh, we're just getting started. Open the Commands Window (SHIFT-L), and read all the possible shortcuts you could be using! Make up your own to go with commands that have no keyboard bindings. You can even do them in MIDI!

This is what makes DP fun!

Shoosh
gsantiago

Post by gsantiago »

I just did! Loving the similarity with Logic, where one can also customize shortcuts for virtually anything. I'm finding it very easy to navigate in DP, very Logic-friendly.
My only issue now is some latency when using VSL MIDI Event Input through my slave. Workaround AU's lack of more than one MIDI Port. In Logic, VSL came up with the Multi-Port object which had zero latency. Really hoping for either VST3 support on DP's end or VSL's MAS plugin version.
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

gsantiago wrote: My only issue now is some latency when using VSL MIDI Event Input through my slave.
I also use VEP Event input VI and I haven't yet seen latency differences compared to VEP regular VI plugin.
According to what I read in Vienna forums we won't see for the being time a MAS format of VEP
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||