Sound effects library recommendations?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sound effects library recommendations?

Post by BKK-OZ »

Fellow 'Nationers, can you please give me some recommendations on a sound effects library?

I am looking for something fairly general and comprehensive, but not too pricey.
I have Xtreme FX, but for a number of reasons, I find that pretty wanting.
I have bought a few things off iTunes for specific purposes, but would rather have something more general in my tool bag for those times when I just want to grab a sound.

I have Kontact and M5v3.

Ideas?
(p.s. the best idea wins a prize)
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Sound effects library recommendations?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It really depends on the SFX you're looking for. Do you want it to synthesize in VIs or are you wanting to sweeten and/or design sound for production (picture or audio/radio?

Not that I would have a specific suggestion. Frankly, a lot of sounds are readily available for free on the www if you use audio hijack. Not always the best resolution for production, but sometimes good enough with a little nudging in a sampler or plugin.

I've collected SFX for decades now and have many GB on my HD from some very high end packages I fell into a few years ago. Even with that, I sometimes need to create my own SFX as commercial discs are not always exactly right for the situation and still find myself searching online as well.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It really depends on the SFX you're looking for. Do you want it to synthesize in VIs or are you wanting to sweeten and/or design sound for production (picture or audio/radio?)...
At the moment, I am looking for more 'straight' types of sounds, ala foley and atmos.

I have a bunch of VI's, so if I want to create an effect (say, a 'creepy' or 'happy' sound) I can do that pretty easily, but if, for example, I want some rain, thunder, or car engine noises, I don't have many options.

I have done the www thing a fair bit, but it is pretty time-consuming, with, of course, variable quality, so that is why I have been thinking of just spending some $$ to get a stock of sounds I can use. I do have some fx CD's, but I still haven't unpacked my store room after my last big (intercity) move, so I can't use those. Ugh, I might have to face up to that task some day soon...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Buy what you need, one at a time, from Sounddogs.

They have sounds available from dozens of major libraries, including their own library of feature-film Foley sounds. Great backgrounds and atmospheres, too. I've done hundreds of radio spots using Sounddogs exclusively.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

+1 for Sounddogs.

I like their ELUA. It's nice to see a simple license that doesn't trample on others' rights:

http://www.sounddogs.com/production-music-eula.asp
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro