Very Old Plug-ins

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Very Old Plug-ins

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes, I found Opcode MusicShop 2 on it. I still have my floppies but somehow never saved an installer on CD or Zip drive.

Someone just gave me another G4 with a Zip 250 drive. I have about 25 Zip disks that I can archive and discard. :woohoo:

I spent last weend combining parts and now have a 733 G4 on Craigslist with a 1G Dual that I'm keeping. It was interesting going through old hard drives and RAM and testing with TTP 5 to see what still worked. I was able to find 2 good HDs for each and 1.5G (max) of good RAM for one and 1G for the other -- and fill a large e-waste box in the process.

Once again, I can use MusicShop to convert DMCS files to MIDI files for importation into anything else. I created a lot of DMCS files on my Mac+ (Deluxe Music Construction Set 2.5 can still be found on Macintosh Garden but it won't work past OS 7.5).

I'd like to find an old copy of Overture since it could open DCMS for printing but converting to MIDI will do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

mikehalloran wrote:Yes, I found Opcode MusicShop 2 on it. I still have my floppies but somehow never saved an installer on CD or Zip drive.
9.2.2/10.4.11 on a G4 here as well.
Added to that is an external VST USB Floppy drive purchased from Amazon two years ago. That brand is no longer available. But there is a Sabrent that's compatible with Mac OSX ( I think v10.2 ???).

The drive works with either OS in the dual-boot G4. The G4 and floppy drive get very little use but are cause for celebration when needed. Same with my two and four track cassette recorders. (There's an Alesis Data Disk and Radio Shack data cassette recorder in storage as well. You just never know when this stuff will save the day.)

The lesson I've learned is to hold on to obsolete technology when pursuing the shiny new thing.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Agreed.

The problem with most 3rd party floppy drives that I've seen is that they handle 1.4mb disks but can't read 800K Mac floppies and, if you still have some 400K disks from your Mac+ 128 or 512, forget that.

Macintosh Garden is a way cool site. I may have some things to upload. Who knows what's on those Zip drives left over from my late, great Beige G3? (I had the wrong dip switches set on a video adapter and fried the motherboard. This was after I bought my G5...) I am glad to see that these Zip disks still read.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro