Waves Codex & Harbingers of Disappointment

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves Codex VI in DP

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote: What is it about these plugs that makes them DAW specific?
In theory, all web sites and all browsers support the specifications laid out by W3C. In practise, developers on both sides take shortcuts for reasons of cost, efficiency and so on. The developers' goal is to get things to work most of the time in most conditions. There's no reason to expect things to be different with AU and VST standards.
There was something, I've long forgotten what it was, that had ceased to support DP. (I don't think it was anything by Waves) One day I found a message in some forum on the internet about a fix you could do. Using RESedit you could open up a certain file in its resources and just add the words "Digital Performer" to a list in the header. Suddenly it worked. That's all it took. I think this was pre-OS X days. All the hoopla over it no longer supporting DP, and all it took was adding the name to a header.

That's why the engineers who write the software do not have to be aware of the ultimate fate of what they have programmed. All it takes is for someone to remove an app from the header, and refuse to put it back, and suddenly vengeance is done.

Things are not always neat and tidy at software companies.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:That's why the engineers who write the software do not have to be aware of the ultimate fate of what they have programmed. All it takes is for someone to remove an app from the header, and refuse to put it back, and suddenly vengeance is done.

Things are not always neat and tidy at software companies.

Shooshie
No kidding. Things are never neat and tidy. But that just looks like a stupid mistake someone junior made, no one caught, and no one wanted to admit to.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yet they circle the wagons and we become the Indians. Frankly, I'm on the indians side of history, so it ain't all bad.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yet they circle the wagons and we become the Indians. Frankly, I'm on the indians side of history, so it ain't all bad.
True. Second rule of IT management -- it's not my fault. (First: it will cost more and take longer)
tamjam

Post by tamjam »

Hey people,

I can understand the frustration here. But as a beta-tester for these guys I can assure you that the team do listen to us. There's a sizeable contingent of DP users present in Beta, and just personally I have to say that I've been even more impressed with the workings of this company as I've been involved with their cycles of testing.

I used a lot of their plugs before I started testing and I own a lot of others from other makers, and many Waves plugs are & have been key players in my front line of tools and would be regardless of my testing. But that's me... In my experience there have ALWAYS been issues with software that's at the front line of development [I've been playing with Mac & MOTU since 1985] and it is frustrating at times, but most manufacturers have to play an averaging game as both sides of the software interactions adjust their code.

As we speak I'm auditioning new instals so I'm personally expecting to see the Waves guys do what they've continued to do, and fix stuff like this as soon as they can.
David Polich

Re: Waves Codex & Harbingers of Disappointment

Post by David Polich »

I wouldn't cry too many tears over not being able to run this VI (unless, of course, you already
bought it without trying it out). It does nothing that Rob Papen's synths can't do and do better.
If you want that "PPG" sound, get Waldorf's PPG Wave synth which does run in DP.

Frankly I just don't buy Waves being a virtual synth company. None of the synths they've introduced break any ground. You can find something like Codex elsewhere.

That said, the fact that Codex doesn't run in a number of hosts says something about Waves.
They should stop pinning the blame on everyone else. This is their fault. They should just admit it they don't know how to get their synth to run in every host.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:That said, the fact that Codex doesn't run in a number of hosts says something about Waves.
They should stop pinning the blame on everyone else. This is their fault. They should just admit it they don't know how to get their synth to run in every host.
Oh, isn't THAT the truth! Just about every synth on earth runs in DP. I seriously doubt that Codex can do anything important that Tassman4 or Ultra Analog can't do. (both of which now are running in 64 bit wrappers with improved interfaces) And Codex may be a fine synth, but for the biggest plugin maker in the world (with dozens and dozens of complex processors running in DP) to say they can't make their synth run in DP is just stupid.

If it were up to MOTU or any developer of any host to make their software compatible with each plugin that came out, well... we can see where that would lead... in a handbasket, to be sure.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

tamjam wrote:As we speak I'm auditioning new instals so I'm personally expecting to see the Waves guys do what they've continued to do, and fix stuff like this as soon as they can.
I hope they do, too. And if they do, I will feel a sense of relief. I wish I could say "trust," but once you've been set out to dry by Waves, you don't soon forget it. I've always said that I love their plugins, and I do. I use fewer plugins now than at any time in my digital life, just because I've quit experimenting with all of them and come to focus on the few I truly get the most out of. Many of those are by Waves. I'd hate to be cast aside again.

Let me say where they made their mistake: they acted defiant about it. "It's MOTU's fault!!! We're not even thinking about fixing it, because THEY have to fix their host first."

That's BS and most of us know that. If it's AU or VST, it'll work in DP. What Waves should have said is "we haven't gotten it totally reliable in DP yet. We're still working on that, and we hope to have good news for the MOTU users soon."

If they'd like to know how a software company should act, I'll forward them some newsletters from Steven Slate. There's a guy who believes his company should stand behind his products and make his customers happy. He gives the impression of working so hard that you want to tell him, "Slow down! I can wait!" He's made me a customer for life, and I'll tell the world about him. He sends out updates telling about the progress they're making on the software they're currently revising, such as FG-X or VCC. He's got me chomping at the bit, waiting for the next update, when the race begins to see what I can do with FG-X.

That kind of positive vibe is what will turn Slate Digital into the "Apple Inc." of audio software. And you know what? I can remember when Waves was like that.

What the hell happened to Waves?

Shooshie
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Shooshie wrote:
tamjam wrote:As we speak I'm auditioning new instals so I'm personally expecting to see the Waves guys do what they've continued to do, and fix stuff like this as soon as they can.

If they'd like to know how a software company should act, I'll forward them some newsletters from Steven Slate. There's a guy who believes his company should stand behind his products and make his customers happy. He gives the impression of working so hard that you want to tell him, "Slow down! I can wait!" He's made me a customer for life, and I'll tell the world about him. He sends out updates telling about the progress they're making on the software they're currently revising, such as FG-X or VCC. He's got me chomping at the bit, waiting for the next update, when the race begins to see what I can do with FG-X.

That kind of positive vibe is what will turn Slate Digital into the "Apple Inc." of audio software. And you know what? I can remember when Waves was like that.

What the hell happened to Waves?

Shooshie
Well said Shooshie. Steven Slate actually cares about his customers and like you, I'm anxiously awaiting the updates for FG-X and VCC. You can't be but so mad at a company for keeping its customers in the loop regarding the unavoidable setbacks that updates and product development incur. I'm a Waves Diamond bundle owner but over the last 3 years, I've found myself weening myself off of their plugins. Not because they're not good, but because of their upgrade policies, and apparent lack of care for the consumer. They remind me of how Digidesign used to be. Fortunately companies like UAD, IZotope, Slate Digital, Native Instruments, SSL, Sound Toys, Ohm Force and of course MOTU make high quality products that completely compete and in some cases out shine some of Waves offerings! For example, wait to you see and hear the new Ozone 6 from IZotope!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:What's odd about this, sales and marketing might, conceivably, tell engineering what hosts to support, but engineering makes it happen, or not happen. How could the engineer not know?
When I worked for a local hi-tech firm, I came up with the following:

The job of Sales is to convince the Customer that Marketing isn't lying through their teeth while waiting for Engineering to catch up.

Like many Silicon Valley companies, mine was founded by engineers. The notion that end users are somewhat of a nuisance is still prevelant in many such companies.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mikehalloran wrote:The notion that end users are somewhat of a nuisance is still prevelant in many such companies.
Many end users are. The money is often with the masses, the simple-minded users who just go along with the flow. You know: morons.

The more demanding users can be a nuisance, at least to the vendor. It's often deserved and probably more often, not so much.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Then there are sales people who consider it their function to sell whatever a customer wants and use that to force engineering to make it work. That can be a real PITA, but it can be a good thing too.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

tamjam wrote:Hey people,

I can understand the frustration here. But as a beta-tester for these guys I can assure you that the team do listen to us. There's a sizeable contingent of DP users present in Beta, and just personally I have to say that I've been even more impressed with the workings of this company as I've been involved with their cycles of testing.

I used a lot of their plugs before I started testing and I own a lot of others from other makers, and many Waves plugs are & have been key players in my front line of tools and would be regardless of my testing. But that's me... In my experience there have ALWAYS been issues with software that's at the front line of development [I've been playing with Mac & MOTU since 1985] and it is frustrating at times, but most manufacturers have to play an averaging game as both sides of the software interactions adjust their code.

As we speak I'm auditioning new instals so I'm personally expecting to see the Waves guys do what they've continued to do, and fix stuff like this as soon as they can.
+1
I will also add that DP has shown itself to have certain quirks under the hood that other DAWs do NOT have. It is not only Waves that have expressed these qirks to me. Of course, all DAWs have their quirks but I also suppose there could be something about DP’s quirks that make Codex more difficult to support. I am not a programmer so I cannot do anything but assume things as far as what is happening under the hood. But I do know DP has different architecture in terms of VIs than many hosts.
I do not concur with there being some sort of “hate” for DP or it’s users. I know there was ONCE a problem of support and yes, that was unfortunate and pissed all of us off. But I don;t think it was based in “hate” unless such can be traced to actual Waves staff stating they “hated” DP and it’s users.
I do agree that DP should be respected as one of the oldest DAWs on the market and should be supported. But all the “hate of DP” talk might find it’s true causes in simple technical incompatibilities between Codex and DP. Technical quirks of DP is FACT I can attest to in my dealings with various developers, never hate of DP.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

David Polich wrote:I wouldn't cry too many tears over not being able to run this VI (unless, of course, you already bought it without trying it out). It does nothing that Rob Papen's synths can't do and do better.
Rob Papen has got a sale on (35% off) - one more day I think.
I bought Blue II, which I had my eye on for awhile, through Audio Deluxe.
Great synth, tons of presets to get you started.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:I do not concur with there being some sort of “hate” for DP or it’s users. I know there was ONCE a problem of support and yes, that was unfortunate and pissed all of us off. But I don;t think it was based in “hate” unless such can be traced to actual Waves staff stating they “hated” DP and it’s users.
I do agree that DP should be respected as one of the oldest DAWs on the market and should be supported. But all the “hate of DP” talk might find it’s true causes in simple technical incompatibilities between Codex and DP. Technical quirks of DP is FACT I can attest to in my dealings with various developers, never hate of DP.
I was met with derision, sarcasm, and a hateful tone of voice when I would mention that i use Digital Performer. I was forced to call them a number of times over the phone, because the L3 MultiMaximizer would not install. There was a conflict with the Platinum Bundle authentication, which had the L3 ULTRA-Maximizer (a free addition to the bundle) authenticated, so the authentication skipped the L3 MULTI-Maximizer. After about 8 phone calls, spread out over a year, I can attest that I tried every possible solution that I could have done, and I came to understand the problem well. It had nothing to do with Digital Performer.

But when they asked me what DAW I was using, I would say "Digital Performer," and they'd say "there's your problem right there: Our plugins don't work with Digital Performer."

"Yes, they do. Most of us who use DP use Waves plugins every day with DP."

"You're not supposed to. It's not supported. You can't be doing that."

"We paid dearly for it. It works. Why wouldn't we use it?"

"Because it's not supported! It'll do bad things to your system."

So, they'd have me go through the uninstall, and install for ALL of their plugins. This meant that my installation was compromised, and I now needed new installers, which I couldn't get officially, because I used DP. But after going through the process with them, it wouldn't work (for the same reason stated before) and they'd say "Your problem is that you need to use a REAL DAW! You can't do anything with Digital Performer! Nobody uses it, and I mean NOBODY! You should switch to a real DAW like Logic or Acid."

Every time they mentioned DP, there would be derision and sarcasm in their voices.

I'm not even telling you the whole story. It gets a lot worse. But you're probably thinking by now, "What did Shooshie do to provoke this behavior? Surely they wouldn't do this for no reason."

I never did figure out the answer to that, except that I was confident that I did nothing other than to tell them what DAW I used. (I say "they" because essentially the same conversation happened with at least three different guys during the first 8 months of this. Finally, someone told me of an engineer to ask for. I had to call at night, because Tel Aviv is around the world. When I got him, he first went through the same suggestions that the other personnel had taken me through, except that he was polite about it. I politely told him "no, those won't work. I've tried those a dozen times."

So, he listened to me describe it, and he finally said "it sounds like the installer won't authenticate, because the Platinum Bundle installer is stealing the authentication from it, and it only authorizes the LE Ultramaximizer, which is free with the bundle.

I said "YES! You got it! That's what I've been telling them for a year!

"You haven't been able to use this for a year?" (Also, by this time, Waves was supporting DP again. That's another story, involving another member here: kgdrum.)

I explained the story. He apologized profusely, and said they've hired a bunch of morons for the front lines with the customers. He told me he couldn't have the fix for me right away, but he'd get one of his best programmers on it. He put her on the line. We agreed on a time to talk the next day, and she promised she'd have a new installer written by then. She was very smart, very efficient, and polite. Spoke english like a New Yorker. The next day, we talked and she had the installer ready. It worked. At last, I could use my L3 Multi-maximizer.

No matter what I said to the other guys, they always countered with "your problem is that you use Digital Performer. It doesn't work, dude. NOBODY uses DP. You need to switch to a real DAW." They'd put me through incredible busy-work, uninstalling, re-installing, running the authentication process, even though it didn't work. They'd have me do it several times. They'd say things like "see? That crazy Digital Performer is preventing it from working. You need to delete that DAW."

This is a bizarre story. Similar conversations took place about 6 or 8 times. Their voices were derisive and sarcastic. They laughed at me for using DP. I mean, real laughter. I always got the impression that more than one were listening, because of the way the one would laugh, and the things he would say or ask.

So, toodamnhip. How would you explain this? To what would you attribute their sarcastic tone of voice and derisive laughter at the mention of "that Digital Performer." Do you think they were only trying to be helpful in suggesting (sarcastically, derisively, and with extremely negative attitudes) that I switch to a REAL DAW like Logic or Acid? What do you think was their motivation?

In all the years I've talked to tech support at companies all over the globe, I've never once encountered anything like the crap I got from those frontline Waves support "morons" as the engineer described them. In fact, the only time I've ever been treated even close to that badly was by a collection agency who mistakenly thought I was some guy who had bought a Hummer, and they weren't going to listen to me or let me off the hook. They were coming to get that Hummer. (I hadn't bought a car in 5 years, but I paid cash, and it darned sure wasn't a Hummer.) It took threatening them with legal action to stop them, and to this day I still get letters in the mail about that Hummer. That's what those Waves guys were like. Always coming back with "no, dude; it won't work, because you use Digital Performer. It's not going to work until you switch to a real DAW. Nobody has even HEARD of Digital Performer."

Never mind that I explained to them that DP users all over the world used Waves every day, even though it was not officially supported. "NO, they can't use Waves, because we don't support that host."

I called about every 6 weeks, hoping to get someone who knew something, but each conversation was pretty much the same, until I finally got that engineer.

Now, your experience may not have been that involved. But if you'd called for reasons like mine, I'm pretty sure you'd have gone through the same thing. Let me tell you, it's very hard to forget that.

Shooshie