Waves Codex & Harbingers of Disappointment

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves Codex & Harbingers of Disappointment

Post by Tobor »

HCMarkus wrote:Waves' current auth approach is solid. Very simple. I love their plugs, and everything I own (which is a lot of Waves plugs) works great with DP8 64 bit. Just saying'.
+1.

I've been late to Waves products but have bought half a truckload due to some great sales a couple years ago, and some other sales since.

I haven't had to WUP yet, but have called Waves tech support 3 or 4 times and the rep could not have been friendlier or more helpful, even after my WUP expired.

If I'm in a delusional dream, don't wake me up. I may install Yosemite today.

FYI their BF sales are pretty impressive. No one ever responds when I suggest this, but if you want a set of plugs that can get your tracks sounding great quickly I'd recommend the CLA Artist series on sale for $100. Particularly the Vocals, Bass, and Unplugged modules, quite impressive and time savers as well. FWIW.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
bayswater

Re: Waves Codex VI in DP

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:As far as I can tell DP has not been supported (unofficially perhaps) for a very long time.
I agree there are things about Waves the company not to like. But Waves claims to have supported DP at least since V6 of DP and V6 of Waves. They currently officially support DP 8 with Waves 9 and DP 7 with Waves 8. I recall Waves Ren 5 support in DP 5 because I used it a lot and got support from them. That's nearly 10 years ago.

http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:Waves' current auth approach is solid. Very simple. I love their plugs, and everything I own (which is a lot of Waves plugs) works great with DP8 64 bit. Just saying'.
With all the ups and downs I've had with Waves, I have to admit that right now is a pretty good time for Waves and DP. Things are working. Authorizations and "upgrades" to WUP are pretty simple (still costly, though). And I've always liked their plugins. Other companies come up with outstanding plugins that render one or two of Waves' plugs obsolete in my book, but overall I love their basic library. I have no use for the "name-brand" plus, those named after engineers, but their basic repertoire, which is vast, is of considerable use to me.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tobor wrote:...I'd recommend the CLA Artist series on sale for $100. Particularly the Vocals, Bass, and Unplugged modules, quite impressive and time savers as well. FWIW.
Don't see this anywhere... not in the bundles. Link perhaps?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

LOL I was just in the process of pasting the link to the CLA Artist Signature Series on the Audiodeluxe website. If you're a member of Audiodeluxe sometimes (most times) you can get an additional discount.

If you're on the fence, and/or if you buy the CLA Sig Series, check out a couple videos on YouTube that has Chris Lord-Alge demoing the plugs when they were released. Using these plugs it's obvious that there's a lot of the very latest Waves technology under the hood, with EQ and Comp choices etc. that are applicable to the majority of situations you'll encounter when recording. If you prefer and enjoy putting on individual EQ and Comp plugins and micro tweaking, great, but you're essentially doing the same thing as you punch up the category buttons and move sliders. There's a HUGE sonic variety available just on the CLA Vocals plug alone, for example. It's my Desert Island go-to for 90% of Vocals, VOs, even Horns and Acoustic Guitars. The Bass plug and Unplugged plug are also outstanding. I prefer Amplitube for Guitars, but the CLA Guitars plug is also strong and will give you some additional colors. I haven't used the CLA Drum plug much, can't quite dial in the proper sound for loops but since it seems to be aimed at individual live drums that makes sense.

I've got a couple other sig series plugins and demoed others, and have been underwhelmed by most so understand how others could poo-poo the concept. But the CLA Series- and the Manny Marroquin Series- are special. And complimentary. I dare say you could do many projects with these two plugin series alone. Seriously.

The Manny Marroquin Series EQ is also on sale for $29 which is a steal, but you might want to wait and grab all six plugs when they're offered again for 149 or 99 sometime in the near future.

In short, buy it. You'll like it. Very curious to hear how it works for you.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.