Waves Codex & Harbingers of Disappointment

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Waves Codex VI in DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Don't bother. Tech support at Waves says DP is NOT supported. It will not run.

The installer will, OTOH, throw a bunch of cr@p at your system, causing DP to examine a boatload of plugs you might have otherwise eliminated from your plug ins before the attempt to install the VI in an app that's not supported.

You'd think they'd tell you that ahead of time. I have to say, the one thing I've always regretted installing on my system is Waves stuff. Maybe one of two plugs are pretty good, but hardly worth the Orwellian techniques the company uses. It's all going bye bye, even ht paid stuff.

What a waste of time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Waves Codex VI in DP

ps - it does run standalone and even installs a couple of Waves apps in the dock without asking. Again, what a waste of time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the heads up. I saw similar warnings in the KVR forum. Did you actually purchase it or were you just trying the demo? I was considering trying the demo, but some of the reviews said they couldn't get it to work either, not even on Windows!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Ouch. I installed it, but have not used it in DP yet. Seems to run in other hosts.

FWIW, I am underwhelmed. Xansfer Record's Serum sounds better to my ears.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

MIDI Life Crisis

I ran the standalone just fine on my Mac. Not impressed. Some cool stuff in the box, but nothing I can't do to better effect in other VIs.

ps - I ran the demo. Still have my $$$.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Don't bother. Tech support at Waves says DP is NOT supported. It will not run.
They've said that before about their plugins during certain periods of DP's existence, and in at least some of those occurrences cases, they all ran fine in DP. Still, probably not worth buying unless someone says that for real it does not work.

I hope this is not an indicator of foul Waves weather on the horizon. I'd hate to go through another period in which my thousands of bucks investment in Waves is once again rendered useless with no indication that they plan to fix it. There is a contingency at Waves — not in the engineering department, but in sales and support — that hates DP, and would probably do anything to pull DP support again.

Last time it happened, an engineer from Waves was talking to a member of this forum and learned that Waves had not supported DP for over 18 months, and, a little perturbed, said there was no reason for that. He went back to work and within a couple of weeks, we had a new Waves installer that supported DP.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I don't really have time for those kinds of games. Either support a DAW or don't but don't pretend to support it or stutter support when the whim hits you. At least the Waves tech guy was honest, if not all that courteous or professional.

Again, the least favorite plugs I have are Waves. For all the songs and dances and higher than warranted costs, they are easily replaced by other, more reliable vendors. I'm done with 'em. Gone the way of the Atari.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

To add insult to injury, now DP (which has been rock solid) is crashing at the slightest whim. I'm so erasing EVERYTHING Waves on my machine Take the tax deduction and cut my losses. Shhhesh!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've blown both ways with Waves, but having a large investment from way back, and having added to it many times with sales, has a way of bringing me back. When Slate's FG/X is finished, I can at least say once again that Waves could pull their support and I wouldn't suffer.

However, some of my favorite plugins ARE by Waves. I have not seen an honest-to-goodness replacement for the C4, C6, or Linear Phase Multiband (C5). These are amazing (and similar) plugins that take some skill to operate, but can reward creative thinking with processes you just wouldn't believe if you didn't try it yourself. I also love the HEQ, which is my favorite EQ by far, because it can do so much. I wouldn't be caught dead without the S1 Stereo enhancer plugin. There are a few others, but I won't go into that now.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Last edited by cuttime on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Oh crap. I bought Codex (albeit for a song). Sure hoping I can get it to run somehow, maybe as a vst within plogue within DP or something.

But what I'm really worried about is MLC's install & post-install issues.... so is the download installer not of the usual Waves design that lets you specify exactly which plugs you want to upgrade/install??
MIDI Life Crisis

Waves Codex VI in DP

I was able to select the plug but when i ran DP a ton of stuff i had disabled returned. Still crashing after deleting and even restoring prefs and audio system prefs from TimeMachine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Has Waves pretended to support DP when it doesn't? Seems to me they've always been pretty straight on what they support and what they don't. I have Waves plugins working in DSP-Q, although Waves support is very clear they don't support it and I'm on my own.

I was up in the air with Waves. I got the Renaissance bundle a long time ago and still like it very much. I've bought quite a few Waves plugins since then on the no brainer sales, and they're usually a "so what?". I'm not getting any more, but I'm not removing the Renaissance package.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Ok, it appears that v9.3 can't be installed alongside v9.0-9.2 plugs. And my WUP has expired...

I think with this doubt about DP support, plus the fact that I can't install the thing anyway at this point, I'll see if I can get a refund. Shame.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

OK waitaminnit...

http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts

It says right there that DP 8.0-8.06 is a supported host.
MLC, did the dude literally say that Waves isn't supporting DP, or just that Codex is mucking up in DP so it isn't supported for right now? Others using other hosts have complained that it's a bit crashy as of V1...