Waves Codex & Harbingers of Disappointment

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves Codex VI in DP

Post by bayswater »

jloeb wrote:It says right there that DP 8.0-8.06 is a supported host.
Not 8.07 then?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Dunno. I would assume that they just haven't updated the table. But maybe there's something to it.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

He said Codex was not going to work in DP
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Wow. OK then. Glad Waves Universe promptly gave me a refund.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I really like my Waves bundle. But an instrument? Really? I tossed the e-mail because I already have too many synths with a couple million presets, most of which I haven't even heard yet. I need a wave table synth like a hole in the head (I've already got the Korg Legacy Wavestation and haven't used in a production yet). Sounds like I dodged a bullet. For once.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Knowing much about Waves...(and that’s all I am really allowed to say), I can assure you all I have seen NO signs of Waves not supporting DP.
Unfortunate to see this ONE synth not supported..but that does not make Waves a “DP abandoner”.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

All I know is installing that stupid synth has screwed up an otherwise near perfect running DP8. That's all I really need to know.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, thanks for the heads up, MLC. (That's all I'm really allowed to say.)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:All I know is installing that stupid synth has screwed up an otherwise near perfect running DP8. That's all I really need to know.
Bummer,
What exactly happened after you installed it?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Hmmm...

Well FWIW. I installed it before reading this and tried it in other hosts. I had not gotten around to trying it in DP.

I fired it up last night in an empty project. Added a single VI track and instantiated it.

Works fine in that context, no issues as described earlier in the thread. DP seems fine.

Running 8.07 OSX 10.9.5

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

MIDI Life Crisis

toodamnhip wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:All I know is installing that stupid synth has screwed up an otherwise near perfect running DP8. That's all I really need to know.
Bummer,
What exactly happened after you installed it?
Crash city. Every minute or so.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

I actually really, really liked the sound of this synth - it's the first next gen wavetable synth that guns for "old PPG with analog componentry" warmth, which is to say that Waves chose to run in exactly the opposite direction of the crowd with this one. It's a good direction, and I'm really disappointed that Waves hasn't chosen to support it in DP on release so that I can't own and use it. Starting a new thread.
jloeb

Waves Codex & Harbingers of Disappointment

Post by jloeb »

On the release of Codex, DP is excluded from its supported hosts list:

http://www.waves.com/plugins/codex#jack ... odex-synth

Synths are like many other objects of aesthetic affection: you either like them or you don't.

Me, I really wanted to be able to use this synth - it's the first next gen wavetable synth that guns for "old PPG with analog componentry" warmth, which is to say that Waves chose to run in exactly the opposite direction of the crowd with this one. It's a good direction, and I'm really disappointed that Waves hasn't chosen to support it in DP on release such that I can't own and use it.

Moreover, Waves has in the (not very recent) past gone though periods of spotty support for DP, as detailed by Shooshie and others. I don't want to see this starting again, even incipiently.

I wrote to Waves support about this and am asking you to do the same, whether or not you like or want Codex. This is not a situation - a major Waves release that is incompatible with DP, with no plans to correct that - that DP users want to let stand. It's not good for DP, irrespective of the specific product. And in this case, I feel it's a genuine lost opportunity both for DP users and for Waves.

Feel free to use/edit my email to Waves below if you like. Please, if you're inclined, log into your Waves account and help get the DP user base's voice heard on this, loudly and clearly.

https://www.waves.com/contact-support

============================

I turn to Waves for the very best in analog emulation, and am very disappointed to see that Codex is not supported in Digital Performer. DP remains a major platform and I and many like myself have no plans to abandon it as our primary workspace. To this moment it remains a technological and workflow leader among DAWs, and I say that as someone with experience working in numerous DAWs and production environments.

I am asking, with hopeful enthusiasm, that Waves make plans to get in touch with MOTU so that whatever issues there are regarding compatibility with Codex do not become fundamental or lasting. I do not want to be in the position of missing out on Waves' present or future products.

Best Regards,
MIDI Life Crisis

Bundles also screwed up in new projects. Had to reset them to hear any VIs. Thanks, Waves. :shake:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Repaired permissions. Let's see what Waves changed for me...

User differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components”; should be 0; user is 501
Group differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components”; should be 0; group is 80.

Permissions differ on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxrwx .Repaired “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components”

User differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST”; should be 0; user is 501.

Group differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST”; should be 0; group is 80.

Permissions differ on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxrwx .

Repaired “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST”
:banghead: :smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS