Save As - Copy Only Current Audio Takes?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waitsongs
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Save As - Copy Only Current Audio Takes?

Post by waitsongs »

I know we can Compact Projects to save only Current Takes (although I've always been afraid to try), and I know we can do a "Save As" that includes all audio in a Project, but does anyone know a way to do a Save As that only copies the Current Takes (and all the associated audio if the takes include Comp Tracks)?

For some reason, even though one of my DP8 files is only around 6mb, it's incredibly sluggish to work with, and I believe it's because I've gone overboard with many takes on nearly every track, since I use new takes not only for recording, but also when I'm making different comps... and this songs has required MANY comps.

I've considered merging all the comped audio and exporting just those files, but I'd really like a version of the Project that still retains the unmerged comps, but isn't being bogged down by underlying older takes and comps. I hope that makes sense.

Also, does anyone know what most impacts performance of a DP8 project (other than VI's)? That is, do many audio takes slow things down most significantly, or many aux tracks, or many comps with lots of edits? If I know which hurts the most, I could then plan around it, but right now, I just work as I want, and hope that things won't get too sluggish before I'm done.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
FMiguelez

Re: Save As - Copy Only Current Audio Takes?

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't think there's an option to do what you want regarding the audio files.

If performance is giving you problems because of multiple takes, you could create a new empty sequence. Then, make sure you are showing the desired takes in every track and select all and copy to a clipping. From there, transfer the clipping to the new sequence (a 5 second operation).

You're basically taking advantage of a DP shortcoming that really annoys me (only current-showing- takes get transferred between clippings).

I've never used that many takes to make my computer sluggish, so I wouldn't know. But if you think performance is suffering due to too many takes, using this new sequence should take care of that right away in a few seconds, and you'll still have easy access to other takes in the original sequence if you need them.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Thanks FM. That sounds like a great idea, although I've dragged my heals on using Clippings because I just don't get how they can really capture everything properly, so I usually stick to more old school approaches for things I've heard Clippings can do. But I'll definitely give it a try.

About your issue with clippings only capturing the current takes, I wonder if you could at least temporarily turn whichever non-current takes you need into tracks in the Take Sub-menu, make the clipping, then absorb them back into the tracks after you've pasted the Clipping into a new sequence? Still a PIA, but perhaps a reasonable workaround if the non-current takes will retain their association with the tracks containing the current takes after being "clipped" and pasted? (I haven't tried this... just thinking out loud).
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So how about this. Group all your tracks and then in the tracks window, select keep current take. THEN save as?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

+1 what MLC suggests. That's what I'd do, except I believe you'd want to Remove Unused Soundbites in the Soundbites window before you do the Save As.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Thanks MLC and dix for the additional thoughts. I haven't had a chance to try any of these fixes yet, although I did discover that I could make things "snappier" by deleting a bunch of empty stereo audio tracks. I figured DP wouldn't care if they were just sitting there unused, but apparently not! Maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion about hidden takes, and it's actually just visible tracks that muck up the works.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Unrelated to the topic but related to the stereo tracks, i started a project with 40 instances of the Wavestation plug last night. Took forever to set the track names and patches. DP didn't even notice. Virtually no CPU hit. I wouldn't need so many copies of the plug if i could play more than one patch at a time and still have indie FX, but that's the way it is. All reside in a big v-rack now and i can start my scoring on a very interesting theater production. Ok. Back to the topic. My suggestion should workout ok. Good luck.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS