Transform data from dedicated control surface to cc11

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MediaComposer88
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Transform data from dedicated control surface to cc11

Post by MediaComposer88 »

Hello all,

I use an Avid Artist Mix as my control surface, and I'm aware it's meant as a dedicated mix controller rather than a controller that allows you to assign any cc to any knob/fader.

However, I've been trying to find a workaround for this, so far without success. Here's the problem: when creating a control surface (or when using the Reassign Continuous Data plug-in), things work okay when I set the mod wheel of my master keyboard as the source and cc11 as the target. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to make it work when selecting an Avid Mix MIDI port as the source.

In the Custom Console creation window, when moving the mod wheel, DP automatically sets the source to cc1. But when I move a fader or knob on the Artist Mix, it doesn't do/recognize anything (regardless of the mode I'm in).

Can anybody shed some light as to why this is the case? Could it be because although data coming from the Artist Mix is ultimately written into DP as cc7 or cc10, this is not actually what is being sent from the unit, thus preventing the console or the reassign plug-in to "pick up" on the incoming data?

Any help on this would be great!

Regards,

MediaComposer88
wvandyck

Re: Transform data from dedicated control surface to cc11

Post by wvandyck »

It doesn't look like the AAM sends out MIDI controller data.
One quick way to check is with Snoize MIDI Monitor: http://www.snoize.com/
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wvandyck, just took another look at your DP Timeline; a trip down memory lane, when memory was measured in MB, not GB… thanks!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's either what wvandyck said, or it's the finicky settings in Custom Consoles, where you have to try everything 10 times to get it to work, and try every setting every which way.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MediaComposer88

Post by MediaComposer88 »

Thanks for your suggestions!
wvandyck wrote:It doesn't look like the AAM sends out MIDI controller data.
One quick way to check is with Snoize MIDI Monitor: http://www.snoize.com/
I used Snoize MIDI Monitor to check things out, and indeed everything coming out of the Artist Mix does not show up, whereas control messages generated by faders/knobs/wheels on my master keyboard do show up.

So, does this mean that the Artist Mix does not actually send out MIDI controller data yet it is interpreted as such by Digital Performer? If so, this could explain why custom consoles nor the reassign controller data plug-in work for the purpose I had in mind.

As a side-note, Cubase-users did figure out a way to do this using the Cubase Quick Controls (and I think Logic users also had success using Logic's environment). Of course these are different programs with different architectures, but it does not change the fact that the Artist Mix does not seem to generate actual MIDI controller data. Any ideas?

Cheers,

MediaComposer88
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

MediaComposer88,

My idea is that you would be best served by using a dedicated MIDI control surface along with your Avid. I play MIDI guitar but use a Novation 25 SL MKll for MIDI controllers and keyswitching.
Last edited by wvandyck on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

HCMarkus wrote:wvandyck, just took another look at your DP Timeline; a trip down memory lane, when memory was measured in MB, not GB… thanks!
Hey, thank you for the mention.

The Timeline was some crazy idea that sprung from years of reading various recording magazines with the most amazing ads from MOTU. I've been thinking about putting out a carbon-themed version for better viewing on screen.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wvandyck wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:wvandyck, just took another look at your DP Timeline; a trip down memory lane, when memory was measured in MB, not GB… thanks!
Hey, thank you for the mention.

The Timeline was some crazy idea that sprung from years of reading various recording magazines with the most amazing ads from MOTU. I've been thinking about putting out a carbon-themed version for better viewing on screen.
Let me know if you do. I may have more stuff for it. I found some things about a year or so after I sent you all those old Performer ads, update letters, and such, but now I don't know where I put it! Chances are good that I can find them again. Well, maybe chances are 50/50. Er... 40/60. Hey... at least there's a chance!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Shooshie wrote: Let me know if you do. I may have more stuff for it. I found some things about a year or so after I sent you all those old Performer ads, update letters, and such, but now I don't know where I put it! Chances are good that I can find them again. Well, maybe chances are 50/50. Er... 40/60. Hey... at least there's a chance!

Shoosh
I have all of the original files including those you sent for the Timeline. Look for a Dropbox tomorrow. And certainly if there's new content, it can be added into the Timeline. As things go, it will be a 2015 edition.