[Not so] IMPORTANT: Read this if you use DP 8.07!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: IMPORTANT: Read this if you use DP 8.07! [REALLY!]

Post by Gravity Jim »

Fact is, just because I like to know that the project-specific preferences are set a certain way, I have a template for an empty project (titled "Zero Gravity, heeyuk yuk yuk). So I haven't used the "New" command in, probably, years. But this is good to know regardless.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:Fact is, just because I like to know that the project-specific preferences are set a certain way, I have a template for an empty project (titled "Zero Gravity, heeyuk yuk yuk). So I haven't used the "New" command in, probably, years. But this is good to know regardless.
I also used a template when the original problem happened that led to the thread. It was a template created in 8.07, so that might make a difference.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Frodo wrote:But, I can confirm this issue and am once again grateful that I'm not going insane.
You know, just because you confirmed this is a real issue, it doesn't necessarily mean you are sane!
:) :) :)

I myself am just the opposite.
I know I'm nuts, but I haven't had this issue, now, what does that mean?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, it looks like we have another one of those things that affects some and not others. Of all the things that can go wrong, intermittent bugs are the worst. It means there is something about our setups, our plugins, our preferences, our drivers, and/or some other thing about our system, which is interacting with conditions in DP to cause this to happen. Finding it can be needle-in-haystack territory.

Or maybe we've all just hit the wrong buttons. Tomorrow I'll have time to dig into it. I hope. Then I'll at least be able to say exactly what's happening on my system.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Re: IMPORTANT: Read this if you use DP 8.07! [Pending Tests,

Post by Shooshie »

I finally managed to get some time to try out a few things before going to bed tonight. (so this is going to be short and quick) I could not duplicate the behavior that caused the naked files (without a project folder) that happened a month ago.

At this point I'm clueless, but will get back into it tomorrow and see if I can figure out what is going on.

MOTU checked in with me and could not duplicate the problem.

I may have stirred a sh*tstorm over nothing. But let's not forget that I'm not the only one to see it. I was responding to others who had seen it, and when I checked my files, lo and behold, there was the same thing they were describing, staring me in the face from the last two files I had started from scratch. I posted here, because if it's a bug, then that would cause a lot of problems, and people need to know about it quickly. So, I apologize for not testing before posting, but I was unable to do so, and it did seem urgent. I decided to take the risk and post a conspicuous subject line that would attract attention.

Better safe than sorry, right? Except... I don't know which is safe and which is sorry at the moment. Still, I'm not through with this yet. I've got to figure out what's going on. Something has happened, and it's happened to several people.

The only thing that I can think of which may have changed since then is that two nights ago I repaired permissions, and it came up with around 7300 permissions repairs. I have no idea where THAT came from, either. Could the two be related? Could that have fixed the problem that caused the file thing? Permissions repairs never seems to fix anything for me, so my first reaction is probably not. But I can't think of anything else that's changed. At least, not now.

Oh... I also updated my MOTU drivers last night. That's two possible things involved. Same version number, different build. Previously, I was using MOTU Universal Audio Installer 1.6.59644, and I updated it to MOTU Universal Audio Installer 1.6.60625 Hmm... I wonder if I put my old drivers back in, if it would do that again.

You guys could help me by telling me if anyone can duplicate that behavior, AND how many of you see naked files in your drives, which you had assumed were in project folders.

Thanks,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I did see the problem in one project at least. Can't remember the context of how it was created.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
magicd

Post by magicd »

If you use Save As to save a project but don't have "Duplicate Audio" checked, a new Project folder will not be created. Save As never used to create a project folder for the document, no matter where you saved it, and it still doesn't. If you had "Duplicate Audio" checked, Save As would create a new project folder. The only thing that changed there is that now Save As defaults to not duplicating audio while Save A Copy As does.

I can see the confusion, but this is exactly the same behavior as DP 8.06, DP 7 before it and as far back as I know. The only difference is that we uncoupled that checkbox from the Save a Copy As dialog so you could have different saved settings in each and made the default setting for Save As to not copy.

Dave
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks Dave. That 'splains it!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

magicd wrote:If you use Save As to save a project but don't have "Duplicate Audio" checked, a new Project folder will not be created. Save As never used to create a project folder for the document, no matter where you saved it, and it still doesn't.
I'll go back and check what I did originally, but I don't think I was using Save As. I think it was just Save because I was working on a new template.

I just tried Save As on my laptop and it did what you say, but it also created an Audio Files folder in the root directory. Is that supposed to happen? Would it end up being a common Audio Files folder for all the project files that had been saved that way in subsequent sessions?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

So far, I haven't seen the problem recur. Either something fixed it, or it was context-dependent, or else I just am not remembering correctly how I created those files. I can't rule out the last possibility, but I'm pretty sure I know how I created them. I was expecting them to be inside a project folder, but they were not. I've done it hundreds of times, always taking care about the settings.

So, it's a mystery. I don't like mysteries when it comes to my computer or software. I've been chasing another mystery in the Finder for about 2 months, so this is getting kind of old.

If this turns out to be user error on my part, I apologize (again) for the alarm. When weighing the lesser of evils: posting before I'm certain, or letting it go for a week until I might get to it, I chose to err on the side of safety for everyone whose files might be getting more disarrayed by the hour.

Shoosh
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:If this turns out to be user error on my part, I apologize (again) for the alarm. When weighing the lesser of evils: posting before I'm certain, or letting it go for a week until I might get to it, I chose to err on the side of safety for everyone whose files might be getting more disarrayed by the hour.
I completely agree with this. If being concerned for other users is a vice, we should all aspire to share it. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, thanks for posting this, Shoosh. I'll have to do a check and make sure everything is in it's place. I'm flat-out with gigs for the next couple of days, but will re-visit this post when the smoke clears and report what I find (on my system).

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I'm just now new (late) to DP 8.07, and I can confirm this problem from the start! No matter how I create a new Project (Template, Save, Save As, Save a Copy As.. ) with duplicate audio checked, the audio is saved in the root directory, and sometimes even somewhere else! The newly saved Project file always has an Audio Files folder, but the audio files are never in it! I can't accomplish anything at this rate, and I was wondering if anyone has found a work around so I can at least get out of the driveway.

TIA
**EDIT**
PS- The "somewhere else" is a DP 6(!) folder that some of my templates were originally created in. Going to create some new templates from scratch and see what happens.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Play with it for a few days, Cuttime. You're aware of the problem, so you won't let it get out of hand, but for some reason it started working correctly shortly after we discovered it. A few days after after several people noticed it, I think they all came back with it working correctly. It may be something like a "first time" anomaly. I really do not know. I can't stand problems that tease you that way, but it just never happened again.

Tell us if you don't see it getting better.

Shooshie
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just created a new template from scratch, and the audio files were in the correct directory. That's a relief, I am glad to report. :D Perhaps that will get DP looking in the right directions. I'm not looking forward to creating all new templates, though. I am not nearly as vintage a user as some (since DP 4), but I have never seen this behavior before. I have visions of DP6 coming back to haunt me from the grave!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31